Gooch

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tomo, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
  2. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i can't wait to see him tomo in a full match.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Possibly the best interview/story I've seen about one of our guys...
    This is why I like him so much.

He's balanced, he works hard, and he knows he has to continue to work hard.

If his weaknesses include everything... yikes, watch out folks.

This guy may have the best mental outlook and family support...

If only he didn't go to Clemson *shiver*

4. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice interview... but some of his statements are flawed, especially the notion that playing in Belgium is superior to the MLS. Maybe he's alluding to the fact that playing in Europe's top leagues, in general, is... and this may be the fastest way for him to move up... but, speaking strickly from the point of view of the Belgian Jupiler... nah.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I wouldn't call it flawed... maybe a difference of opinion.

Belgium isn't one of the best leagues in Europe, but it's not bad. And with Standard Liege this year he's in Euro competition.
    While MLS is good - it's a very "balanced" league (by design) without any truly great or lousy teams. I'm not sure MLS has clubs the quality of some of Standard's opponents: Anderlect, Brugge (Jupiler League), AC Parma, Besiktas, or Bilbao (EUFA cup). At the same time, teams like Mons and Oostende probably wouldn't frighten the anyone in MLS.

Also the atmosphere is very different... and showing well there probably is a quicker way to get to a top league in Europe.

One last thing - I believe he now has 1 full year under his belt in Belgium. 2 more season there and he'll qualify for EU status - which would be a huge advantage if he's trying to get to England - his ideal league.

6. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Belgian teams are playing for CL/Uefa Cup spots, though, aren't they? That could be what he's referring to. I've never seen a Belgian league game, so I can't comment on the level of play vs. mls.

7. tomo

tomo New Member

May 25, 2004
    ANTWERP, BELGIUM
    I believe that's a good analysis of the Belgian league. Although teams like Anderlecht and Brugge are losing on European level for the moment, they are also good enough to play top 5 in France or Holland. It's the bottom teams that make our league svck.

8. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg

... I don't want to compare an MLS match with any Belgian nor Dutch nor French game.

You gotta go to any european country to see there is a HUGE gab with MLS right now.

I do not say this is caused by the players competences. But this is caused by the global MLS engagement, which is desesparetely poor.

I did NOT have this opinion before my first trip to Europe. It became evident when I saw first Adu goal vs NY at East Rutherford.

I don't know if a higher level of referee tolerance, or higher wages would stimulate that. I don't have any solution, only assessment.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    To bring this thread further off track, I think that what is holding MLS back is often the level of competition. No team is allowed to get too far beyond the others, so the evolution of the game gomes a little slower. I think playing in competitions with Mexican teams would greatly help our move forward.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I am always very impressed that we can study various leagues through the all knowing matchtracker and more accurately assess the strength of the league than players that play there. We are a clever bunch with amazing powers of insight, deduction and inference.

Thank god for us.

11. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sort of like Euro's who don't watch a second of MLS, yet can make "the correct and informed assessment" that MLS does indeed suck?

12. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Touche'. Many of us (Yanks) watch a lot more overseas action (and have lived there as well...gone to games) then the other way around..

Having said, MLS play is undeniable spotty- a good part a function of the small roster and uneven quality of such.

However, MLS clearly has the ability to produce quite a few gems of players that can move onto to bigger and better leagues at early points in their career....that will continue to be the case, and mix w/American youth that go straight into European youth development systems (and rise thru the ranks)....these are the reasons why our Nat team will be quite strong for many years to come...

(Also, US talent will likely remain cheap talent for a while yet)...

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OmniKell

Comments on Gooch's performance last night?

14. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I wish I could, no way to watch the game from here.

I just heard he's been sent off 2 yellows. Difficult to have an opinion

Learn... you gotta see something yourself to have an opinion.

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sensible.

16. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Thanks, just a clumsy try to answer several personal threats

17. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    It beats Seattle University, but not by a lot........

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

No, he really did suck. Although I know who the WWE will have to wrestle the Rock now. The guy is giant.

19. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hope you didn't take my post as a personal attack, hell it wasn't even directed at you, my apology if you felt slighted. It was just an off the cuff answer to the previous post, I meant to imply that it's a two way street in regards to the way people view other leagues than their favorite. It's not just Americans who blindly judge other leagues, many Euro's, Asians, S. Americans are all guilty as well.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly the same. When a Euro like Mo Jo or someone else says something nice about MLS and Euro fans dismiss it out of hand, it's the same.

But I must say I do drop by a number of fan boards for teams in Euro leagues and the MLS is very rarely if ever a matter of conversation. But on this board and USA any thread, no matter how benign has a 50/50 chance of becoming an LD thread and a 50/50 chance of becoming a MLS is way better/worse than X league.

And as my mom always said "if all the Euros were diving off a bridge into shallow water and breaking their necks, would you too?"

21. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I did not account any attack from ya, except if you have several user ids.

I have no favorite league, I swear. My jersey at Standard Liege is the red Pope one. The one I wear in East Rutherford is the white MPenza one.
    Professionaly, I try to bring US merchandising to Liege and belgian youth soccer coaching to Tarrytown

22. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Hey I almost applied for a teaching job at Seattle U! Do you know the school? Since you're in Atlanta... I'm a GT fan - that's why I have to despise Clemson. :)

But even though he went to that godforsaken place - I still root for Gooch. He seems a very shy person ... maybe he needs someone to help him blend into the team.

Last night after he got the 2nd yellow... Guess who came up and put his arm around Gooch (who looked crushed)... I'll give you all 1 guess...who on the USA team would do that...

Got it yet?

Brian McBride - the guy is just a class act.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I direct your attention Here

24. Toolhead

Toolhead Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's true, almost every thread ends up the same way. A couple of posters hi-jack the thread and make it a personal pissing contest, or the player in question sucks and should come to MLS, no he's just not getting enough playing time to prove himself, stupid! Or it ends in the classic, he's not getting playing time because he's American, crap. But I think the best of all is, man he's playing for ManU's(or Liverpool or whoever's) reserve team and plays against stars like fill-in the-blank every day, CAP HIM NOW!! They all end up the same.