Gooch Transfer Speculation

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by andygus, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
  2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Trochowski will replace v.d. Vaart as the attacking mid.

But with Demel, Jarolim and Benjamin out, maybe Benny gets a shot ... except he is hurt also.

3. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from the fact that Gooch is Champions League cup-tied with Standard Liege because of their away leg. Furthermore, he is about to be UEFA Cup-tied as well as Standard get dropped into the 1st round of the UEFA Cup.

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that ... he is cup-tied with Standard. Good point!

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he wasn't cup-tied for the UEFA Cup until he actually plays in a UEFA Cup match.

6. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines

I thought no matter if it's Champions League or UEFA Cup you are cup tied. So since he played for Standard already he is cup tied no matter the competition.

7. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    No you're usually only cup tied for that specific competition The problem with the CL is that there is an opportuinity that if you are knocked out a certain stage you get to then enter the UEFA Cup competition, so if you played in a CL game and then your team gets bumped in the UEFA Cup you are cup tied for both competition. If your team is only in the UEFA cup and you play and then get transferred to a team that is only in the CL then I believe you can play.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't both be true?:confused:

Seriously, has anyone seen a single report, rumor, bit of bathroom graphitti tying Gooch to a move anywhere in the past two weeks?
    I mean, there are still 24 hours until the window closes, so there's no rush...

9. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what happens if you play in the Intertoto Cup. Since that is basically just qualifying for the UEFA Cup does that cup tie you to that team?

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, if you win don't you get the ruby slippers?:confused:

11. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I don't think that there is ever a actual winner, which begs the question why is it called Intertoto "Cup" when there is no "Cup" awarded. The last 11 mearly get qualifying births in the UEFA Cup. With all the ways that you can qualify for the UEFA Cup I can't believe that any of the means to qualif for make you cup tied. If it was, wouldn't that mean that a transfered player from Tottenham to Blackburn couldn't play in the UEFA Cup since technically they would have been Cup tied to Tottenham by playing for them last season and helping them to their 5th place finish in the Premiership, there by qualifying them for the UEFA Cup?

12. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To make Newcastle fans feel better.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And there's no Intertoto either.
    OMG, the whole deal is a sham.

14. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
  15. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha Ha Blackburn Rovers. That's funny.:D

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

The Intertoto Cup is neither an Intertoto nor a Cup. Discuss.

17. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
  18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  19. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes folks, REAL MADRID came calling!

Too bad this one didn't happen.

Translation of the significant part:

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: Yes folks, REAL MADRID came calling!

He said he didn't want to go to a "small club". :mad:

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really could use him on Tyneside. I hope we make a move for him this winter. Honestly 6mil for Huth and 2.5mill for Gooch?

22. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow. Too bad, that would have been interesting. And Marca is as legitimate as they come regarding La Liga news. Not sure if it would have been good for his development though. He would have had to fight for time against some of the world's best central defenders for minutes. Cannavaro would have been good to have as a mentor though.

23. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Hopefully he goes in January. But Marca writing it scares me since according to them Fabregas, Kaka, and Wenger would be in Madrid. Come on Capello and Calderon

24. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Yikes. I mean, that might rub me the wrong way. "He's really not as good as we're looking for, not the right quality. Hmm... then again we could use him in the American market... throw him out there in a few pre-season games when we tour the USA, make some money there off of jerseys."

But then again who knows? I thought in the cup, he had some rough moments but he also had some extremely promising ones, and the dificiencies in his game (at least the ones in my opinion) were with technique and timing... the key is that he's young and should be in the right environment where he can learn these things and gain them from experience.

25. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True that the tone is patronizing, but that likely came from the writer of the article, not necessarily from the club itself. Since Gooch is an unknown quantity to people in Madrid, this guy is opining from the perspective of the average socio, who may not believe that an American player could solely be of sufficient level football-wise to don the Real Madrid jersey, and that there must be an alternate reason for the interest.

As evidenced by the summer tours, the Real Madrid executives have obviously become very focused on the American market, but they rarely make frivolous purchases (sometimes unfortunate busts, but at least done with the intent to add quality to the squad).

Their interest must have been genuine, but I presume that things fell short thanks to Gooch being cup tied. Too bad. :(