Gooch to Milan III [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by withoutthee88, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Update time!

Gooch had an individual session with the ball, then joined the team for a possession exercise. Favalli/Kaladze/Nesta/Bonera had 'custom work' away from the squad.

[​IMG]

The traveling squad for Saturday's match at Palermo will be announced tomorrow.

Edit: Gorky got to it before I could, haha. Someone should check the video from today; it won't load for some reason but it might have Gooch in it.

http://milantime.acmilan.com/it--allenamento_a_milanello-h-0-0-11407-0

2. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The translation is pretty close. The one problem is "party." In Italian, "a parte" means "away from." In other words, he worked withe team, then finished training by himself or with a trainer (as seen in the photo). The good news is that he seems more fit than all the other CBs. Will he make the squadra tomorrow??!!

3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Minnesota FC 518

May 22, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this thread is gonna explode with excitement if gooch is named to the traveling squad.

5. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's looking more and more likely that he could have a shot this year--especially that the scudetto is out of reach.

6. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news! Glad to hear he's doing some ball work and playing with the team. From what I can gather from Mcritelli's post, Gooch is the closest of the CBs to getting back in the squad. Awesome!

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    My first thought was then I saw this picture is "Danny Califf has two brothers?"

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't inform Bob Bradley

9. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Great news. The fears over Gooch's injury should subside now.

10. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i'm not trying to get too excited, but it's good just to see gooch on a field kicking a ball.

don't wanna overreact or expect him to play much at all. but it's just good to see him on a field.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gooch is a much better central defender than Rossi ever was or hopes to be.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure that was how the comparison was intended to be read...:confused:

13. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately, depending on how the game goes) Gooch was not called up for tomorrow's game. Silva was the only first-team CB called up, so he'll probably get paired with Albertazzi tomorrow. Or, god forsake, Oddo again.

14. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Figured it was too soon. Next week his chances will dramatically increase.

15. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Doubt it. I think the staff there had made their mind up on Gooch long ago. I doubt we'll see him on the field for Milan again.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah drop a contract on someone and make a decision within 8 weeks. Prudent business decision.

17. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    I don't agree with what you said, but even so, the CB situation is a mess there. Gooch has a chance at getting playing time before season's end.

18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they had arms to try and pull Gooch down they could look like Jimmy Conrad

19. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Does your breath smell from talking out of your rear so much? Do have any evidence to back up what you say? Why is Milan still training him if they gave up on him? That was one of the dumbest things ive read on here in quite a while. Milan will be turning handsprings to have any of their top 5 CB's healthy at this point.

20. Balls of Fire

Balls of Fire Member

Oct 16, 2007
    What has he done to prove he's one of their top 5 CB's? He's cheap. That's why he's there.

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    From the 6 weeks Onyewu has been healthy all season, you have deduced Milan's long term plans for him. Congratulations.

22. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dumb post.

If this is the case, why isn't Michael Parkhurst at Milan? How about the CB from my local USL team? He would probably move to AC Milan on a free and play for beer money.

23. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we talking about Gooch's career at Milan, or his preparation for the W.C.? It's hard to focus on both at once.

For the short term, the ideal scenario is that he gets a game or two under his belt before heading to Princeton.

For the long term, I'm torn as to whether he should try to make the first team, and risk warming the bench, or spend the year on loan at a Serie A club that will be happy to have him. I don't know the answer. I'm guessing it comes down to a) how well he does in the W.C., and b) how well he does in the pre-season.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Who the heck is that? :confused:

I guess there you have your answer. Gooch is a known name, marketable piece to US fans, and had a great summer at the Confed Cup.

Did Michael Parkhurst?

25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I've said this before, but if Onyewu isn't starting for Milan he is most certainly not a marketable piece.

From my experience, I feel pretty confident saying that the number of people who would be willing to spend big bucks on the club jersey of an American player (not named Landon Donovan) who rarely gets off the bench is so small that they likely all post on this forum.