Gooch to Milan III [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by withoutthee88, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a contest when Gooch is involved.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I hear he bench-pressed Nesta twice and Favalli four times.

In any case, Milan isn't rushing him in.

And no one expected them to do that regardless.

3. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, he worked out with other defenders in a gym and that's somehow bad news? All these guys are to the point that they can do weight training--so why wouldn't Gooch join them? It doesn't mean that he's as injured as Nesta. As we saw yesterday, he's playing full-speed football with the rest of the squad.

Chill out peeps. Gooch's time is coming. He's said repeatedly in interviews that he wants to be 100% before declaring himself ready to play.

4. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't true and is the reason I'm not sunshine pumping at the moment.

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're definitely pumping something.

6. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, let me clarify. The video shows Gooch training with the main squad, performing difficult man-oeuvres that require a high degree of fitness. Moreover, the training report suggested that the squad played half-field 11 on 11, and, given the video, there is strong reason to believe that Gooch was in that scrimmage (I count 22 players).

Thus, there seems to be pretty strong evidence that he is either entirely fit, or very close to it.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it tomorrow in Italy yet?

8. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Italy is EST + 6, I think. That's what most of Western and Central Europe is, anyway.

9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    "AC Milan's Mathieu Flamini and Ronaldinho have recovered from fatigue and are available for Saturday's Serie A game against Palermo, although their fitness level may be a problem.

Winger Ignazio Abate is slowly getting better, but is unavailable for competition. Forward Alexandre Pato has recovered from injury and has resumed regular training, but may be rested this week.

Defenders Alessandro Nesta, Giuseppe Favalli, Oguchi Onyewu and Kakhaber Kaladze are no longer injured but need to regain their fitness level back and cannot compete yet."

http://www.footballpress.net/index.php?action=read&idsel=58568

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, Gooch is fine, provided there are no setbacks after the initial activities.

11. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news, as far as I'm concerned. Confirms our suspicions that Gooch is healthy, and in the process of regaining fitness. Of course, all of his competitors on defense are apparently recovering, too, which may prevent Gooch from getting on the pitch.

12. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nesta is healthy? Unbelievable.

13. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    At this point, I'm sure most would take it. Now time for Davies and Holden to get back on the pitch...

14. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    So, from what I'm understanding from this thread, AC Milan have exactly one first team CB fit and available for their next match.

Even though they started out the season with six players who are comfortable playing CB.

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you really expect Nesta to stay injured once Gooch got healthy?

16. mcritelli

mcritelli Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pretty much, yeah. Even Ambrosini, who we've slotted into CB before, is suspended for this match. That leaves Thiago Silva and Albertazzi, who is supposed to be a real prospect, but has yet to make his Serie A debut.

I feel whichever of the CB's is fit enough come Saturday will play, even if they aren't quite as fit as Albertazzi.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly,I hope that's not Gooch.

"Re-injury" written all over that scenario.

18. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we gripe when he's not training then we gripe when he has the chance to play?

These last 6 months have really screwed us up when it comes to how we think about injuries.

19. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    i laughed at that.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want his club to use him as cannon fodder.

I mean,they can and probably will over a kid,but I'd really be fine with him getting 90 minutes tops the rst of the season and then reporting to an intensiveUS camp and friendlies to get in game shape.

Think Paolo Rossi.Two years suspended,but didn't need league play to tear up a WC.

He's not going to be in top form as a defender no matter what happens till June.

21. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this supposed to mean?

Look, I'm rooting for Gooch to make it back to 100% as much as anybody. My point was that we still just didn't know enough about where he is and that video doesn't really show much. Is it possible that he scrimmaged with them? Possibly. Is it possible he did all the exercises with the team and then watched the scrimmage? Did he do his own work on the side as the scrimmage was happening?

That being said, I'm glad to read that latest update. But of course Nesta is now trying to regain fitness as well. Ugh!

22. pavlovscat567

pavlovscat567 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Western N. America
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Gooch is in the mix for this match. I think he's targeting a return in early May, not unlike Davies.

23. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    i am hoping AC Milan can clinch the 3rd place spot soon and Roma/Inter clinch the 2nd place spot as well. That would give somewhat of a reason to play Gooch. If i am management, I want to see Gooch rather than Nesta to play in my final games (if the game doesnt really matter).

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Are you actually comparing the two?

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update from 4/22 training. Bad Google translation:

Concerning individual: Mathieu Flamini has worked regularly with peers . Onyewu has played a part of the session with the group: possession with the team for the American who then continued to party. Custom work for Favalli, Kaladze, Pato, Ambrosini, Bonera and Nesta.

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=120281