Gooch: The International House Hunter - Episode 8: Hillsborough Stadium

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Jgco, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    As mentioned above, Gooch had a Euro passport and Serie A was a lot tighter in those days on the foreigners.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, plus the free transfer made it a "what do we have to lose?" signing. Turns out, broken ribs for Ibra.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It was a patella tendon, not an ACL.

ChrisSSBB and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is correct. A bad and untimely injury for him and USMNT.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That's a net gain though.

taylor repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is your point here? And what evidence do you have that Gooch was a "big name" in the USA, and that's the reason he was signed?

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Gooch also put off a potentially big move earlier while at Liege. A number of big clubs were interested to make an offer, but he stuck with Standard and Prud'homme to battle to win the league.

He had some good luck - and some bad luck. But what an interesting career.

8. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I have testimony from a dozen witnesses that have testified under oath that Gooch was a big name.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    can't tell if sarcastic.

Kevin hart is this you?

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder how many Gooch shirts Milan actually sold? More or less than what our other global superstar Boca sold for Rangers? Sounds like an idea for an investigative piece. Maybe from the same guy who recently wrote that "MLS went out of business in 2001" article.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  11. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    No, only the truly discerning of us had Onyewu jerseys... :p

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Boca actually had jerseys sold when he joined Rangers?

Now I can believe Bradley sold some jerseys when he moved to Roma or Dempsey to Spurs and of course Howard to United but i don't see Boca moving to Rangers selling any

13. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though it was only 7 years ago the USMNT was nowhere near the popularity level it is now. And that is saying a lot considering it still isn't very popular. Signing an American, even if it was one of our best players at the time, was not going to move the needle simply because there was no needle to move. Even LD didn't reach any broad mass appeal amongst American sports fans until WC 2010 and we all saw how many folks started snatching up Everton kits in 2011 :rolleyes:.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what the hell has he been up to?

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Who? Donovan? Bocanegra? Bradley? Dempsey? Howard? Oneywu himself, maybe?

Please clarify ...

Gorky repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gooch. He hasn't officially retired and yet what does he do? Train privately? Host tours for US soccer?

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I wish he had not gotten so big with the weights. At the beginning of his career he mentioned how all of his colleagues told him to lay off the weights. If he had been 10-120 lbs lighter, even if he was not as strong, he might have been quicker and a better player. It is rare that you see as muscular a guy as Gooch playing soccer because all of that upper body weight has to cut down on quickness and agility.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    House hunting.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't know enough about it, but I think a look at his career makes it pretty clear that 2009 is the dividing line, and that was when he blew out his patella tendon. Before 2009 he was at least twice Juliper top XI, a championship or two with Liege. Loan to Newcastle, transfer offers from Real and Milan (among others reported.) He had 4 clubs in 8 years. almost 200 1st team games in Belgium and England (and a few in France).

After 2009 - journeyman. 6 clubs in 6 years. <50 1st team games in Italy, Portugal, Netherlands, England and Spain.

I blame the knee, mostly. (Now, did the knee blow because of muscular-skeletal issues? That is above my pay grade.)

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Never was a huge Gooch fan because agility was always lacking. Juliper top 11 is good but not so different from MLS top 11. There is no doubt that his injuries hurt and I agree that the muscles may or may not have contributed. But my point was that he MIGHT have been a better soccer player if he was not so freaking muscular. That cant have helped his quickness and agility.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I really have no idea. Mr. Bolt is not hurt by his muscles but perhaps some are. So while I dunno about the muscles, it's clear Onyewu was never the same after the knee. And while in the Juliper he was second (on many lists at least) only to Kompany. But injuries are part of the game. I give him a lot of credit for staying in the game and trying to contribute where he could.

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Agree 100%

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Hard to imagine at 1 time Kompany was a lesser known star to Gooch. Bad career moves didn't help. Moving to an EPL side in relegation trouble in January is never a good idea.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The Newcastle move might have dimmed his star among fans, but my guess is it did nothing to dim his star professionally. He might have stayed at Liege too long, but it was out of loyalty to coach and club, so you can't really fault him for that.

Really, it's impossible to say what would have happened without the injury. My guess is Milan was always a bridge a bit too far. Onyewu just never had the technical footskills and speed of play to make a great impression in Serie A, but was a very athletic, strong tackling, smart in position and dominant in the air. But as he was never the quickest player before the injury, anything that took reaction time or even added hesitation to his game was going to be hard to overcome.

My guess is he was always just short of a top team CD. While in some ways he was as good as or even better than, say Tony Sanneh or Gregg Berhalter - at least in the tackle, in the air and at smothering clever attackers - he never had their touch, technical skills or "total football" sensibility (Sanneh being helped by having been an attacker and wide mid as a youngster, Beerholder hurt by his lack of speed and quickness, but always had a good touch and technical skills.) He was always a bit too much a 1-way CD (aside from throw in and attacking corner kicks.)

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I remember that summer after the Confed Cup he had lots of interest. Wolverhampton, some French clubs and Turkish big clubs interested in him. I guess the appeal for playing for AC and the possibility of trophies and $$$ (despite the likelihood of him riding the bench for most of the time he was there) was strong.