Gooch: Standard - Westerlo 11/6 6PM

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OmiKell, Nov 7, 2005.

1. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Standard won 1-0 and is still 3 points ahead of Anderlecht.

[​IMG]

2. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    thats great they won and great gooch played but doesnt he have 7 matches he is supposed to be missing? what happened on that front?

3. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    L'equipe has it as 2 points....

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/CLA_BEL.html

Either way, great accomplishment for Gooch & the rest of the team so far.

4. dwm5

dwm5 Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday on sport.be it said the appeal of his two red cards would be heard on the 10th. I didn't know he was looking at a 7 match suspension.

You can get Standard Liege news in French at

http://www.sport.be/fr/jupilerleague/0506/ploegennieuws/?comp=2304

or Dutch

http://www.sport.be/nl/jupilerleague/0506/ploegennieuws/?comp=2304

(scroll down near bottom). Onyewu gets mentioned occasionally. A while back it said that he had been linked to a team in Italy, but that Gooch was interested in the Premiership.

5. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg

He keeps appealing

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a perfect CB for the premiership and I think he could help a lot of teams there. What's his WP status? He's played quite a bit for the nats this year.

7. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    The 75% of FIFA "A" matches (friendlies don't count) is over the last two years... I guess someone could figure that out.. They can always appeal anyway though...
    I think Gooch is great but perhaps a year or two away from the Premiership, at least as a starter mid-table and above.. He still has some important learning to do and he has said that himself.. Learning how to use his strength to his advantage and not disadvantage as has sometimes been the case, for one thing..
    Maybe after the season is over I'll get a surprise and he'll go to a big club right away but I still think it will be a couple of years before he shines at the top level despite how great he looked against Mexico, for example..
    He will be a big star someday though.. IMO.. :)
    But some big club who see's his potential may come along this year thinking he may not be quite ready but want to get him before someone else does.. ;)

8. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    I would be interested in hearing opinions on exactly what gooch needs to improve

9. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Positioning, he's caught out of position a decent amount. He's very good with stoping attacks when he's in the right position so it's just a matter of seasoning and experience with good coaching until he's a truly "world-class" defender.That and not losing his physical gifts.

He's a better man marker than zone defense guy is my way of understanding it.

10. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Yeah...the red cards of late are worrisome too.

11. Fulham South

Fulham South New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    GEORGIA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both red cards were overractions by the ref. One was a complete accident and the other was a hard, yellow-worthy tackle that was overblown by the ref because of man-child's size compared to the guy he tackled.

12. DC_Gunner

DC_Gunner New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    DC / Cambridge, MA
    Good to know.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I like Gooch but for the USA he gets called for fouls alot.I would not like to see that in the WC where games are called VERY tightly.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It will be interesting to see Gooch v. Scotland. He will see a combo of Everton's McFadden, Hibs O'Connor, Shaun Maloney or O'Connor's teammate Derek Riordan. With a midfield that should include ManU's Fletcher, Ger's Bazza, S'hampton's Nigel Quashie and perhaps Paul Hartley.

Funny, on paper Scotlands front 6 should be able to keep it interesting, but they've had trouble getting goals from their young forwards, even against mediocre sides. I think they scored 9 goals in 10 quali games, 3 from Kenny Miller - who is hurt, and another from Steve Thompson, who is not called up. Fletcher hit one and Hartley hit one in the Slovenia win (3-0) I think. They just don't seem to find the net.

I'm guessing Boca and Gooch will go in the back for us, unless he gets paired with Berhalter and Boca goes LB (Lewis and Convey are out, I believe) or we go with a 3 again (Dolo/Gooch/Boca? probably not.)

Scotland should not score this game, unless Gooch gives up a pk!

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Forgot to put in Wigan's Lee McCulloch as a possible target forward and trouble-maker for Gooch.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    It will be interesting to see Gooch vs. smaller, quicker guys. That's probably his biggest issue. Obviously strength/big guys are not really one... :)

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    As a center back it won't be as big an issue as if he was an outside back but I'm sure we'll get to see him deal with some quick guys soon enough..
    Jaap Stam is considered by many one of the world's best defenders and I'm sure a lot of you saw the trouble he had with Beasley at times the other day.. ;)
    Perhaps Jaap is out of position a little at right back when a speedy guy is there to face him... :)

18. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    True.

From my observation, Gooch is not slow. Its just he is still learning as far as timing of challenges and positioning. As that continues to develop, I believe he will be a beast. Physically, he's got to be so imposing for his opposite number. Big, strong AND quick.

Now if we could only get Spector back in the middle where he belongs, we'd be all set... :)

19. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Gooch had his 2 matches suspension confirmed today by the Union Belge comittee.

Therefore, he will be suspended starting as of next week for 4 consecutive matches.