Gooch and ManU

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Allamerican74, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Allamerican74

Allamerican74 New Member

Jun 5, 2004
    I recall last summer there was speculation on Sky that Gooch would be signed by ManU. Of course that never happened but do we think that ManU will try for him during the Jan transfer window? ManU are looking for a centerback (Silverstre is crap...has been for 3 years) and it would be a good move for Gooch.

2. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    A few months ago I thought it would be a bad idea for Gooch to leave in January because he'd be putting his WC in jeopardy. I have since decided that wouldn't be the case. If ManUtd (or any other team) put down enough money to convince Standard to part with Gooch during a championship run they'll be under enormous pressure to play him when he arrives. I now think it would be a great idea for Gooch and ManUtd (or any other big club) but I'm thinking Standard won't get the offer they want come January. He'll certainly be with a big club next year though.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thought is that if there aren't rumors and/or confirmed interest starting to float around in the press, Gooch is probably staying put, at least until the end of the season. I could see him stepping into a side, Man U for instance, and preforming well but Standard would probably be reluctant to sell based on the close championship race. Also, it would take a month or two for Gooch to adjust to the different game, as it does 90% of the incomers to the EPL. He'll garner interest after the WC but I don't see a move before them. I'm sure scouts have an eye on him, so don't think just because he hasn't move in Jan, that interest is lost.

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It seems as though the transition to the Premiership for defenders is much easier than it is for middies and strikers. Ryan Nelsen and Carlos Bocanegra are good examples.

5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, True. Boca's tough transition was due mostly to playing out of position. But as a whole, most do have a little trouble or apprear a little shell shocked when first arriving in the EPl and it's completely normal.

6. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I don't know, he's been in form (apparently), likely feeling very confident... I would prefer not to put that at risk before the WC. A move this summer? Great. Now, it would worry me.

7. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover

Gooch has stated he doesn't want to move now. He is playing, and it is very important to him (playing regularly). He said after 2006 it would be a different story. He is in no rush to sign with a "big" club. Wants the right situation, not the name. Very mature kid when you read his interviews.

Standard have said they have no intention of selling him now.

I recently asked Omikell in another thread if he had read anything in the news suggesting that this might change come Jan.

He said that both parties are very happy as is. It seems something really over the top would have to happen this window.

Smart move IMO. Seems like a real smart kid in his appraoch and attitude.
    We got a real winner here folks.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And all this despite his impoverished background.

9. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    As they sing in the distance.....

In the ghetto

In the ghetto

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    ...And his momma cried

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I asked Gooch about ManU over the summer, rather than denying it he reponded with a good a laugh and a "I can't comment on them right now" and a grin.

12. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    What's the deal with jokes about his "impoverished background"?

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    If I'm Standard I wouldn't sell him right now for anything less than a fortune anyway. Not only are they in a championship run, but his value could potentially skyrocket with a good WC.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Apparently some idiot Eurotrash journalist asked him in an interview a few weeks ago how his childhood was growing up in the ghetto....not realizing that he grew up in some whitebread suburb of DC.

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Thanks.

16. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Semantics. But I would not say shell shocked, just adjusting to the different style of play.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I doubt ManU will be in a big buying mood in January. There's a pretty good chance they'll have a new manager next year, so there's a risk they'll buy someone SAF likes but the new guy doesn't, and then they've wasted the money. PLUS they're not in Europe. PLUS there seems to be little chance they'll catch Chelsea, and little chance they won't qualify for the CL next year. Best for them to play with what they have and assess things in the summer.

18. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    A pretty good chance they'll have a new manager? Where do you get that from? Sure there's a chance he'll be out but a pretty good chance that's better than 50/50 SAF is out. I don't think anyone would take money on those odds. There is long way to go in the season and cups they are in to say he's on his way out. Finishing 1st or 2nd and winning the FA Cup would be as close to a guarantee that he would stay. Even if that doesn't happen, I don't think there's a pretty good chance he's gone. Despite all that I agree they won't be in much of a buying mood, mainly because they are starting to play very well again in the league and SAF won't mess with success much. Also I think they would want to marshall their funds and see who will be out there on a free like Ballack, and who wants to move clubs.

19. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Won't Gooch get his EU passport sometime this summer.

20. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I pretty much assumed that missing out on Europe would kill ManU's chances of signing a player like Ballack.

But, maybe I'm wrong and some of these players would like a lighter schedule, especially coming off a world cup summer.

21. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    As long as ManU finish in the top four before the world cup, they will be playing in europe after the world cup.

They've only been knocked out of the remainder of this years competition. Ballack wouldn't have been able to participate with ManU this season anyway.

22. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think he'd have to live in Belgium for five years in order to qualify and that isn't gonna happen.

23. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    I'm pretty sure Gooch is still short on Nat team appearances to automatically qualify for an EPL work permit. He'd have to qualify on appeal.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Sir Alex has a good a chance of not being at ManU next year as JoePa did going into this year.

SAF is also on record for saying that they will be buying players in the winter

25. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    True but I don't think they'll go for a CB, especially considering the form of Wes Brown since he's been back in that defence. I also couldn't see Standard selling Gooch right now before the WC when there's a chance his value will increase if he performs in Germany.