Gooch: 10/24 GBA - Standard Liege

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by OmiKell, Oct 23, 2004.

1. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    Team composition:
    GBA
    Luciano
    Van Zundert, Cvitanovic, De Decker, Monteyne
    Cruz, Devree, Snoeckx, Rossitto
    Joao Paulo, Messoudi Jordens
    Standard Liege
    Runje
    Deflandre, Onyewu, Dragutinovic, Leonard
    Walasiak, Geraerts, J.Curbelo, Vandooren
    Bangoura, Tchite

Note Mumlek out for Walasiak, and Concecao will maybe be there on the bench.

2. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    GBA up 1-0 late.

3. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    who won and how was gooch?

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Gooch was a non-factor. Finished 1-0.

YA PBR

5. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    The whole team is looking tired, Gooch included.

If we have to find a good point, he had a better timing than usual on the defensive header.

The bad point, GBA placed a guy right on the throw-in line, and Gooch looked annoyed about that. Hope Deflandre or Leonard will teach him how to "gently" repel a defender in that situation.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I actually noticed on some game clips of his throws (one in particular that led to the goal) that the other teams have been putting a man right in front of him, showing that other teams feel he is a definite threat.

While this does pull away a marker that could be in the box (probably should be), it can be annoying to the thrower.

But correct me if I'm wrong people (and I may have to ask this on the ref board)...

If you put a person on the field in front of the thrower... don't they have to stay standing. I thought it was once considered "unsportsmanlike" to jump when the ball is thrown in.

If this is the case... at 6'4" tall, Gooch should be able to throw it over anyone (heck probably even if they jump)

But if they are jumping... with his strength... I wonder how long the players would jump into his throws, if he lets one loose a little low and it crashes into the defenders nose and goes out for another throw in. Do you think he'd do it again?

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He should just stop half a step short of the touch line and toss it from there.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I bet if he smacks the guy right in the face with a throw-in the next time that happens, they won't be quite so eager to line up in front of him.

That's how I'd handle it.

9. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    That's not the guy way to play. He's pretty fair play.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Oh we know that... at least I do... and wouldn't expect him (or anyone) to actually throw the ball into someone's face on purpose.

11. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defensive player has the right to take up a stationary position but must hold that position. The thrower may move to his right or left or step back away from the line in order to make space for the throw in. If the defender attempts to "unfairly distract or impede" the thrower (e.g., jump, shuffle along the line, or kick out) then he is guilty of unsporting behavior.

In the USSF's "7&7" memo for refs, this is listed as a mandatory caution under item 1j (see here: http://www.ussoccer.com/templates/includes/services/referees/pdfs/supplemental/77memo_2004_pro.pdf)

12. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

Thank you very much... this is precisely the way I remember it, but as I haven't been reffing for the past 2 years, I didn't know if they'd gone more lenient on this issue. Glad to see they haven't.

Of course it's not normally an issue as the throw in isn't normally a dangerous weapon. Heck the mechanics surrounding the throw in suggest it wasn't expected to be a weapon.