Gonzalo Jara, West Bromwich Albion (R) (News, etc..)

Discussion in 'Chilenos en el Exterior' started by youcantseeme, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England
    Hi, my team West Bromwich Albion are supposedly back in for Gonzalo Jara after the deal fell through a couple of weeks ago for whatever reason.

It's been reported here by local newspaper who are normally very reliable.

Could you tell me a bit about Jara. Strengths/Weaknesses, best position etc?

I know he's got great pedigree due to him having many caps for Chile and thats quite exciting because your national team is amazing at the moment.

Your sitting pretty in qualifying and I remember when you demolished Argentina a while back, was quality :cool:

Anyway, thanks :)

1 person likes this.
  2. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Re: Gonzalo Jara

Hi ycsm:

Gonzalo Jara is a good defender, he can play as sweeper, right back, central back, or even left stopper (like in Copenhaguen the other day, he played fantastic).

weakness: if the rival forward is very talented and skilful, he sometimes receives yellow and red cards, because he gets furious (we say he's "caliente":mad:, I mean he is a "hot" player in football terms).

3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

amongst Jara's strengths, I would say that he more often than not comes out of the ball with the ball being played on the ground (as opposed to just kicking/clearing up the field). For a fella that's not even 180 cm tall, he does fairly well on the air (and playing in the C'pionship should certainly be the right test for him). And that brings me to my next point. He might be a bit small for the Prem though personally I think that if a player is "good", size will not matter.

Also, like Jaime said: Jara has played pretty much anywhere across the back four (for the U20s in '05, he was the captain and played as a sweeper; last year for Colo Colo he played both LB and LWB and this year for both the NT and Colo Colo he has settled as a right-footed LCB).

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  5. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

main strengths, as mentioned are his versatility in the back. He connects well with the midfielders without having to blast the ball 50 yards to avoid danger. he has good control, is a good header (by our standards anyways), is fit, is tough, and uses both feet well. He's a starter on our NT, even when he hasn't always been one for Colo Colo, and has done very very well against everyone he has faced (including Arg/Bra etc..)

His main weakness, in my opinion has to do with motivation. When he plays for the NT he is an absolute genius that no one can get around. When at his club (who he had a lot of problems with -- actually he's a supporter of their archrivals) he has gone through phases of dismotivation in which he seems to have pruposely gotten himself sent off a few times and was reckless with challenges.

Overall he's a great defender though, and I'm sure he will do well in the CHampionships

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Yea, I forgot to mention that: for the NT, he's been brilliant these past year and a half even though at club level sometimes he has looked disinterested. The part about him being a fan of a la U is mere speculation and just based upon him going to one game (when CC were out of the playoffs). Jara's dad actually said he's a fan of Arturo Fdez. Vial. Take with a grain of salt.

Correct.

Agreed. :cool:

7. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England

Thanks for the replies.

I hope he brings his international form over as we are in desperate need for a quality cb to partner Jonas Olsson. But from what you guys are saying, he sounds like he could be quality in the championship even though he is quite small.

Its been confirmed by Roberto Di Matteo on the official site now too.:cool:

http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~1760444,00.html

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Watford and 'Palace were my favorites C'pionship teams, for no particular reason other than the fact that I liked the colors on their jerseys. Now, however, I have a solid reason to pick a team from this division. I will certainly be following the Baggies closely, thanks to Setanta Sports. :cool:

9. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England

Good stuff....Baggies worldwide:p

If you want to see fans opinion etc of Jara you can check out any WBA message boards as we have quite a few. A good one is westbrom.com

A current thread on him - http://www.westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=44015.0

Boing Boing :D

10. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

Well yeah, he went to go see UdeChile win the championship with their crowd.

But beyond that it was in an interview when he was asked who he would play for for free if he could, he said La U de Chile.

11. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Gotcha: good info.

12. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Re: Gonzalo Jara, West Bromwich Albion (R) (News, etc...)

Jara also played for Chile in the U-20 World Cup at Holland in 2005. He started a Huachipato a club based on the south of chile, and was transferred to Colo Colo in 2007, where he has won 3 championships already. In addition, he was part of the National Team at the COpa America at Venezuela in 2007..
    I hope this information helps as well.:):)

13. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  14. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
  15. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England
  16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Apparently, Di Matteo thinks Jara is a DM, which is a bit worrisome. It would be one thing if he said "I know he (Jara) is a CB but I think WBA can best use him as a DM because of "x" reason...". Di Matteo, however, (based on his comments) seems to think Jara is a natural DM. :eek:

17. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

in all honesty, i can see him as a defensive mid as long as he's accompanied in the role...but yeah, the coach seems to suggest that he does or has played that position prior

18. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England

I hope thats not true. We are in desperate need of a good CB and we have Youssuf Mulumbu who plays in defensive mid and is very highly rated.

I think the fact Jara's so versatile will see him cover other positions as and when we need too but I hope he is bought primarily as a CB because from what you guys say he sounds a very good prospect.

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Youcantseeme, did you see my posts in the West Brom forum? :eek::p

20. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England

I haven't seen it yet MC, can you provide a link :)

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  22. youcantseeme

youcantseeme Member

Dec 22, 2005
    England

Hey MetroChile.

I just found your post on westbrom.com in the Jara thread lol (Doh!) I'm a klutz :D...thanks for taking the time to post some info.

Apparently Jara will be at the match on Saturday and unveiled next week.

23. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

btw, he does score some goals. he has 2 these qualifiers for the NT

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcyTrQGM1as&feature=related"]YouTube - Chile vs colombia 1-0 gonzalo jara[/ame]

you need to get him playing with this much passion (this is his first goal for the NT...notice he cries after scoring) and he'll be a star.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8dIjXHi9uA"]YouTube - Chile-Venezuela (2-1) (19-JUN-2008)[/ame]

24. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Jara leads Chilean defenders in goals in WCQ. :cool:

25. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000

I believe Medel also has 2