Gonzalez

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by AndSomeAreAngels, Aug 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's still very early, but I was curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on Mark Gonzalez. It was a long time coming but he finally made it into the squad and his debut was marked with a beautiful, crucial goal.

So far he's been a good player for the squad, making an instant impact in the first handful of games in the year. Several times he's shown a willingness to track back to the defensive third to break up an attack. He's very quick and his workrate is better than I had anticipated.

He also seems to disappear from games for long stretches. If we had a totally healthy squad, I'm not sure if he would be going 90 minutes most matches. He has provided a good spark off the bench when he's been left out of the starting XI, and I think if Kewell comes back and plays well, Gonzo will be the guy to spell 'Arry in the 70th minute or so.

All that said, I do see him as the starter on the left for the Reds for many years to come. He's young and loaded with potential. He's got a nose for goal, is an intelligent player, and seems to link well with Aurelio. His two goals so far this year were brilliant and we haven't even seen him have a lash from 30-35 yards out (as he showed he could last year at Sociedad).

Expectations were high for Mark coming into this year, but so far he's met and/or exceeded them.

2. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think he started ok and scored a crucial goal, but I don't think it was all that special, it sat up for him in a pretty good spot and it would have been a bad miss had he muffed it.

I think when Kewell is fit he will start most games and Gonzales will come on as a sub, but saying that I do believe he has a lot of potential for years to come. Hope the rumours of Zenden leaving for Spurs are true, cant stand him, he's useless!

How about Aurelio, I'd say he has shown the most potential so far.....excellent free kick taker, shit i'd prefer him taking them from now on ahead of Stevie G and Riise.

LFC4LIFE

3. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    Couple of posters here who had seen video clips of Gonzalez scoring some long-ranged exotic goals for Real Sociedad last season will agree this lad is loaded with talent. I am all for him to be our regular left-sided player.

4. soarer

soarer New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Totally agree. For week to week EPL slog, Kewell's motor seems to slow down around the 70min mark. Subing him for speedy would be ideal.

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a pretty impressive goal, certainly not a sitter. He took it with his right foot (his off foot) and bent it from a short distance and a tight angle. And he had come on just moments before.

His goals last year at Sociedad were just nasty. If Riise's not on the pitch, I think we should let Gonzo bomb the free kicks from around 30-40 yards. Or I guess we could let Agger!

6. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    give him and all the players we got from Spain some time as its a different league in many ways

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree, he has talent...he has tremendous pace and skill on the ball and has a pretty ferocious shot but I am not for starting him right away. That wouldn't be fair to Kewell or Zenden really who both deserve to play as well, especially Harry who had a damn good second half last season.

Besides, Speedy is still very young and can't be thrown into the mix right away at every stage....experience counts a lot in big games and he might underperform in that sense.

Rafa should give him regular playing time every now and then but not a starting position just yet.

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    If Kewell comes back healthy and playing like he did last season, then yea. If he doesn't, then I say we don't sit around and wait for him to play like we expect him to. No one "deserves" a place on the team. Well, besides Robbie. ;)

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a horrible condition that has struck Kewell down. Septic arthritis-- heck arthritis is bad enough without it being septic. I wonder if he'll ever get back to what he was last season.

10. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not doubting you, but do you have a link?

11. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard of a yeast infection being descibed this way. :D :D

12. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    You know how women like to exaggerate their cramps...

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better watch out -- the Aussies'll be out in force to attack us Yanks for denigrated 'arry.

It's all tongue in cheek, mates

14. Crown Paints

Crown Paints New Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Barnsley
    you're not? well I think Rafa will be dissapointed, but he will bow to your wisdom eventually :D

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    There is a fatwa being issued in your name as we speak, I mean type.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    [​IMG]

For all of the piss taking yanks, heres a shot of Harry. If you look closely enough you may glimpse a vagina shot.

Hope that keeps you happy as Harry!!! :)

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    back to the topic

[​IMG]

he's almost as pretty as 'Arry- dont you think?? :eek:

19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He better, I stood up for him around my friends a many times after he constantly started Morientes last season.......:D

20. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He better, I stood up for him around my friends a many times after he constantly started Morientes last season.......:D

21. soarer

soarer New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Lol, right my Australian brothers, let's have a shot a seppo 'pool player". Oh, hang on......:):):)

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here ought to do for a start.

23. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I feel for the lad, no doubt, but I'm not viewing this as another Markus Babbel type situation.

24. botch

botch New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Barca/Melbourne/B.A
    Gonzalez is awesome. He's a south american player with the flair and has speed and crazy bombs of shots. Let's hope he doesn't start enjoying the high life in liverpool, he was kicked out of the chilean national team when he was caught alongside another player with 3 women in a hotel room after hours during a tour. No funny business, just drinking and chatting but it still didn't look good.

25. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What and you would rather he chase around Temple Bar drinking pints? I for one would rather chat up some lovelies than get shit-faced with a group of guys in a smoke filled bar. Shows the lad has some style.