Gone before they got here, 2019 edition

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's time for the annual thread on high school seniors who renege on commitments, either verbal or in writing, to college programs to instead sign pro deals.

These seniors have all gone pro since the start off the academic year after committing to a college program. The latest are Julian Aruajo, who until recently was the highest-rated player still committed to playing college soccer, and Edwin Cerillo, who both signed MLS deals the past couple days.

Brenden Aaronson, Indiana – Philadelphia Union
    Julian Aruajo, UC Santa Barbara – LA Galaxy
    Edwin Cerillo, Maryland – FC Dallas
    Justin Haak, Maryland – New York City
    Nathan Harriel, Clemson – Bethlehem Steel (Philadelphia Union affiliate)
    Ben Ofeimu, Penn State – Bethlehem Steel (Philadelphia Union affiliate)
    Andre Reynolds, Brown – Chicago Fire
    Julian Vasquez, Utah Valley – Real Salt Lake

Expect several more before the start of the college season, either to MLS, USL or foreign teams.

2. ratmalph

ratmalph Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Harriel is still considered an academy player. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does sign but it hasn’t been announced yet if he has.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Matthew Hoppe, who has signed a LOI to play at San Diego State this fall, has instead inked a pro deal with Schalke in Germany.

A forward, Hoppe was the leading scorer in the USSDA this past season.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  5. SydneyFan11

SydneyFan11 Member

Apr 13, 2012
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    CaptainD repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Gotta feel for his parents on this one!

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I can see the headline after a physical confrontation. Duke's Duke puts up his dukes.

9. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    Why? You don't think they were in on the decision making process?

Or are you over selling Duke?

10. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I was joking, but the parents were (presumably) the ones who named their son Cameron Duke. I have no connection to them (or to Duke).

Nomen est omen!

JoeSoccerFan and MySonsPlay repped this.
  11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Yeah, not happy about this AT ALL! His name was already ON THE FRIGGIN ROSTER and and article about him written on goduke.com. Shitty move in my mind to dupe everyone (fans/coaches/teammates) and sign a pro contract this late. Don’t sign a LOI if you’re still pursuing a pro contact behind everyone’s back

12. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Bad take.

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I don't blame the kid. It's not like he's revoking his LOI. He chose to go to Duke, but a pro contract was offered. There are numerous valid reasons that people change their minds. I don't know Duke's Duke, but maybe he really developed over the past 6 months or the team made him a more compelling offer. Perhaps, Duke (the school) signed another player in Duke's (the player) preferred position.

Coaches sign these kids then move to another position.

I wish the kid (Duke - the player) well. Though at this point so late in the pro season, he may have been better served going to a semester at Duke, soak up the atmosphere, work on his game and then gone to training camp in February with a semester under his belt.

MySonsPlay and TimB4Last repped this.
  14. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    I follow a couple of kids on the Sporting KC DA teams, a few are from North Carolina, and therefor have followed this kid a bit. He has been hurt for almost a year, just came back recently and played in the USSDA playoffs. I am sure he will be rostered on the USL squad, Swopes Park Rangers, shortly and will earn minutes this fall. Sporting KC has given quite a few academy players a lot of minutes in the USL.

This is the era we are in now, Duke University needs to sign these kids and that is the chance they have to take. I do not think this is a shock to the Duke staff.

JoeSoccerFan and TimB4Last repped this.
  15. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    by the way, forgot to thank you for making me brush up on my Latin, it's been awhile.

OverseasView and TimB4Last repped this.
  16. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Soccer will (is) becoming more like baseball in that kids will commit and then wait to see where they are drafted (signed) out of high school and if there is a signing bonus. No three year requirement (yet) from soccer.

Sandon Mibut and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    There are elements like baseball, but I think this is more like a European academy model. If you follow Sporting KC academy, Swopes Park Rangers (USL) and the MLS teams you will see, they play you where they believe your are ready. They have signed kids at 15 thru 18 and have played them at all levels.

Cameron Duke was ready to play at Duke University before his injury and that is why they got him to sign the LOI. Sporting KC was not sure if he was ready to play at the USL level and were not going to sign him until they felt he was ready. The USSDA playoffs proved he was ready. My guess is Duke U was his back up plan all along and the staff at Duke U. never ruled that out. LOI's are only enforceable in the world of the NCAA. They are meaningless in the real world.

JoeSoccerFan, Sandon Mibut and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    don’t disagree about baseball analogy and I’m hoping people have the probabilities and money lined up.

If you get drafted in the 38th round of the baseball draft you should go to college, if they’ll take you.

Get drafted in first round and you should probably play baseball.

To me, playing for an affiliate of a MLS team is low level minor league baseball. For every 100 players a handful make it near the majors.

Signing a contract to make < $40k for 2 years with a 10% probability of “making it” is not worth it in my view.

Of course, it also depends on the ability to pay for college, pass the courses etc.

Every family and kid is different. I don’t know how many turn down a contract offer to go to school but I know some play at least one year in school and then revisit the situation.

TimB4Last and collegesoccer repped this.
  19. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    The European Academies don't have college as a possibility. That either sign you or they don't. Some player doesn't sign a commitment to go one place and go another. Baseball they do the same thing. Now in baseball if you go to college, you must commit to three years. Not sure they will ever happen in college soccer but you never know.

20. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Doesn't MLS have some online university as an official educational partner or something? Do MLS HG contracts provide that the club will pay for college later if soccer doesn't work out?

I ask because my cousin was drafted in the 6th round of the MLB draft. He left college a year early and played minor league ball for a few seasons. Once he knew he was done, his club paid for him to go back and finish his degree.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm not a contract expert, but my understanding is that the GA contracts would provide the funds (I think like $10 or $15K) per year of college eligibility forfeited. I'm not sure if the HG contracts have the same provisions.

I believe the online university that you're implying is Southern New Hampshire.

22. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    People also ask:

"Is Southern New Hampshire University a real college?"

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  23. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    SNHU or Duke ? Pretty similar... Maybe they can do what Devin Barclay and Josh Lambo did. Not really make it as pros and then get a kicking scholarship with Lambo being in the NFL now making 4 million a year with a degree from Texas A+M. Barclay graduated from The Ohio State University with a Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl title to his name.

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's a letter of intent, not a letter of guarantee.

Players in almost every sport but American football have bailed on LOIs to go pro - hockey, basketball, soccer, baseball, track, tennis, etc... (And some football players have reneged on LOIs to sign pro baseball deals).

Hell, Moses Malone was on campus in College Park when he left Maryland to sign an ABA deal on the first day of classes.

It's all big business. Duke, the player, didn't owe Duke, the school a thing except to keep them appraised of what he was doing.

We also need to remember that very few kids get a free ride. Most are on partial scholarships and the programs are always trying to get the kids for as little a scholarship as possible while the kids are trying to get as much of a scholarship as possible. They play other programs and players off each other constantly.

"School X offered me 75 percent; can you match that?"

"We got a top 10 player at your position willing to take 50 percent if you don't want it."

And so on.

Ultimately, the players need to make the best decision for them, not for the program.

25. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    I am sure you have seen enough college rosters to know that college soccer is a real possibility for a European soccer player.
    My reference to European academies alluded to how they develop top players and give them the the opportunities they are ready for.