Gomez left (was Gomez leaving DC United)

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by jade1mls, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Fisty409

Fisty409 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Uh Oh... Gomez to Rapids?

Yeah that does seem as a possibility but there are numerous players in the market now and he believes that it's Gallardo because of his departure from PSG. Also it says he played in the French League That could be any number of players, since Osorio Quotes he wants a left footed CB and a left footed winger to be a playmaker. Gallardo plays CAM and up front. They could be pulling a Fred and moving a CAM to a wing mid? I hope he doesnt go to NY.

2. Boda United

Boda United Member

Apr 18, 2003
    No. Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

McT is about as American as they come.....Virginny boy.

3. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA

Kind of new to this MLS Rumors blog, but they are saying that Gallardo is coming to DC; thus, Gomez is probably going to Rapidos:
    http://mlsrumors.blogspot.com/2008/01/incoming-marcelo-gallardo-to-dc-united_23.html

I am still very concerned about our wing speed and overall team speed. I wonder if Gallardo is going to be a step-up from Gomez? On paper and salary, yes....but not so sure.

4. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

MLS Rumors: just think of it like The Sun, the famous English rag sheet. Their standards and accuracy are about the same.

5. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

Just so you know, MLSRumors is a rehash of BigSoccer rumors.

6. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA

Got ya.

"Done deal" "5*" is pretty strong words and symbolism.

Didn't they say the same about Veron?

7. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands

Though to be fair, MLS Rumors has yet to blame 96 innocent people for their own deaths. So they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

8. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

You're right. The Sun is a harsh comparison. I should say English papers in general when it comes to the transfer window time.

9. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am hearing from my sources that a trade of Gomez for Cooke is being seriously bandied around? Anyone have confirmation?

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't know. Tell us your sources and we'll ask :D

In all seriousness...MLS sources? Rapids?

Edit: Just checked the Rapids BS forum. It's not them. They're as befogged as we are.

11. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

No, but they did blame 38 innocent DC United fans for being taken to the Giants stadium pokey one miserable Saturday afternoon. I know... I need to let it go.

MLS Rumors does have a $$ figure for D.C.-Gallardo deal: the former Paris Saint-Germain attacking midfielder has agreed to terms with DC United in the range of $1.3 million a year

I'm a rube. I was thinking $500,000.

12. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this is the case, than good luck to Christian. He won the best team and individual awards that MLS has to offer while in service for DC. That said, maybe we can still keep him!

I am so not a fan of the rumors of the offseason. You never know what is actually going to happen and what is not. If you listened to reports seriously, you would think that Veron has already signed with us, for crying out loud! What happens in regard to Christian and Gallardo is going to have a huge impact on the season. I will be very happy when it is finally resolved - one way or the other.

Having said that, isn't it great that we have an organization that works so hard to anticipate needs and fill them? Who knows how successful all of these trades and signings will be? It is just nice to see the work rate and committment of the organization.

13. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe, maybe not. But I thought he turned down over $800,000 from San Lorenzo.

14. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Let's not forget the magic of a "signing bonus". I was personally thinking something in the 650k-800k range with a 500k signing bonus.

15. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Simple enough. I'll take it. I will live with dread for the day that Gomez will kill us with a goal, because you know this is going to happen.

Maybe it's not that simple. COL seems to be aggresively shopping Maestroeni, so perhaps we send them Gomez, they send us Pablo, and we send Pablo to Team X for Winger Y?

Any ideas? Chicago for Mapp?

16. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ohh, intriguing.

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

But El Big Mac's checks won't bounce

18. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We can definitely do that. We will also pay you an undisclosed amount if you take Clavijo and Plush.:D

19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he is going somewhere, Per Goff:

20. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United

The key there may be "at some point during this year-long process." DC may well have offered him a multi-year deal prior to the 07 season, but only a one-year deal after the season started. Goff has been reporting as quasi-fact for a few months that Gomez wanted a guaranteed second year, and that the club would only guarantee one. Who knows?

What makes no sense in the Goff blog is this:
    Gomez also became too emotional about ... United's pursuit of Juan Sebastian Veron, even though that signing had nothing to do with his standing on the club

and yet, earlier today, Goff wrote: Rest assured, you will not see both Gallardo and Gomez in United kits.

So...Gomez's status here was clearly linked to Gallardo coming (makes sensne), but it wouldn't have been linked to Veron coming? I don't buy it, and I can't imagine Goff wouldn't see that contradiction.

I'm not taking sides on Gomez vs. Gallardo, but assuming this is a well-placed United source, as Liverbird, Americans SC and Cold Sea said in other threads, it just doesn't befit the team. "Gomez was just mad because he didn't win the big awards"--that's second-grade sh*t.

21. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

Simple - Gallardo and Gomez play the same position whereas Veron and Gomez do not. Add in that once the Veron deal fell through DC moved onto other acquisition - Niell, Martinez, possibly the other Martinez, the Peruvian goalie whose name escapes me. These acquisitions have sapped the cap space that would have been spent trying to secure Gomez for additional years.

The story of DC's roster has changed dramatically since the Veron signing fell through.

22. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Gomez is definitely not worth $500,000 a season from DC United's perspective. It sounds like DC offered him a solid deal, but at his age he can't really hope for a team that doesn't throw money around with no thoughts of the future to give him much more.

I'm sure Payne & Co. don't want an Etcheverry v2.0 with an excellent player from the past tying down a huge chunk of salary for the future. I find it hard to imagine Gomez being DP worthy in the second half of 2009 and think he should have taken the salary DC gave him with incentives for a three-year deal.

It sounds like DC has some very solid talent coming in and hopefully they can mesh quickly. I hope that Gomez goes somewhere in MLS (Western Conference would be nice) so DC gets compensation as well. If that happens in the form of cash or a very solid player, DC could put together what, on paper, would be one of the strongest squads in league history. Of course they'd have to get it done on the field but it would be a good start.

23. Doctor Woo

Doctor Woo Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Newport, OR
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's a sad business where loyalty and gratitude for past services only goes so far. In a world of limited resources, though, what can we expect from management? I love Marco and always will but his salary was a major factor in the lean years.

THANK YOU, CHRISTIAN! I will always remember your drumming as much as your football. God be with you.

24. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am disappointed, but not surprised. Looking through my rose-colored glasses, I was hoping we would be able to re-sign Gomez plus sign Gallardo (using the allocation money we have squirelled away).

Anyway, I am very sorry that Gomez is leaving, especially under the circumstances as described by Steven Goff. Thank you, Christian, for your excellent play while in the DC United jersey. I hope you do get the payday that you have earned, over the last 3+ years. Vaya con Dios! :(