Gomez left (was Gomez leaving DC United)

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by jade1mls, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Gomez leaving DC United

Sadly, off to the alumni forum.

Thanks for everything Christian.

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I would love it if DC United's draft picks all got signed for close to $1,000,000 transfer fees before they played a minute. DC got a load of cash for Arguez and we don't even know if he's going to be good. I think he would have been solid had he stayed in the league but if DC drafted that well on average they would be a much better team.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You got a better explanation for why it was considered a "future consideration"? That phrase is typically used when the value of the trade is based on the level pf play by one of the involved palyers.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Em, they're not going to retroactively cancel a signing. Are you saying they're putting the DP on hold for two years while they wait and see how Gomez does? Possible I guess, but I don't think it's very likely, since it just ties up Colorado's DP slot even longer.

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    DC got Colorado's DP spot as a result of the trade. If they were to cut Gomez it doesn't change what has already happened.

6. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do. But then we offer them developmental salaries, and they go to Puerto Rico or France instead, acting on a short-term intention that they'd previously expressed publicly but somehow we had failed to notice.

7. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    We're drafting allocation $

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, if this were the case, why was it announced as a "future consideration"?

My guesses (short of MLS/Rapids outright lying in the press release, always a possibility):

DC gets the DP for 2 seasons starting at the end of the '08 season, assuming that Gomez hasn't been a complete bust.

DC gets the DP slot, but the earlier reported language about "Having the right to use the slot" is more accurate than "traded for the slot" and Colorado can actually buy back the slot, with the cost to buy it back increasing based on Gomez's play.

DC gets the slot for '08 for sure, the slot for '09 and/or '10 is based on Gomez's play.

9. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are you pulling this out of your ass or do you have something scientific like a crystal ball?

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the announcement in the Rapids press release stated "2009 1st round pick and future considerations". Given that "future considerations" almost always means that the rest of the trade is contingent on how well the players involved in the trade play, the rest of it is just guesswork based on that, as my last post said. I've nver claimed otherwise.

I think the most likely reasoning is that some number of years of the DP slot you're getting from us is dependant on Gomez's play. You're getting in for 2008 for sure, probably 2009, but for 2010 its dependant on how well Gomez plays, if the option ofr the 3rd year of his contract is picked up, and what MLS does with the Dp rule after the '09 season, when it will be upfor renewal.

The other two options I suggested were just guesses based on what we've heard from various sources, and what would work within the ever-shifting MLS rules.