Alert: GolTV toils w/ DishNetwork

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Robdog, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Portuguy Newscorp's line of thought: "Gee we have a lot of money here. How can we throw it away?" They got rich by making wise business decisions.

I'm starting to wonder why you are defending Dish like you went through Nazi Dish Propaganda training.

2. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wow you're a genius. Thanks for playing. Any other brilliant thoughts?

3. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Good for you. Back to your regular international portuguese programming than :)

Let the ones who care about other things ponder whether to drop Dish or not.
    They don't show Libertadores. Just the final. That and the argentine league are piggybacked from Fox Sports in Argentina. EPL is their big one. If they were to add La Liga, they'd need to drop Serie A and would go from bad to worst in their finances.

Their contracts ending this season doesn't mean FSC will automatically grab them.

4. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No it doesn't, but most likely it will end up with FSC or Setanta, and I don't see it happening, but ESPN with an outside shot.

As for the rest, if you're gonna talk about stuff you don't know anything about, at least do some research. I'll leave it at that.

5. 7spencer7

7spencer7 Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Outside Boston
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ironing is delicious.

While it is true that Newscorp owns Fox Sports International, FSI does have an operating budget, not free access to all of the Newscorp bank accounts. Their budget (and programming time allotments) would not allow them to pick up spanish rights.

I expect either ESPN or GolTV to have the next contract. And if ESPN picks it up, it will be a game of the week deal on ESPN Deportes and a couple more games on ESPN 360.

6. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a reply from Dish when I email ceo@echostart.com. I suggest everyone do the same so they at least see we give a shite.

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your email. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you. However, GolTV is demanding unreasonable terms to renew the contract. We are working hard to come to a resolution. In the mean time you can still enjoy similar programming in ESPN Deportes and Fox Soccer Channel en Español. Unfortunately, there is no set time as to when or if GolTV will become available again through Dish Network[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]

7. DefenseWinsCliche

DefenseWinsCliche New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    everywhereville, usa
    I called a couple of days ago and received the same answer. They said they are negotiating and when I asked how long does it usually take to resolve such issues, he couldn't give me any set timeframe but said the longest one was for 3 months.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sentana is now *off* on my TV. Guess it was just a weekend free preview. Now I'm sorry I missed the Aussie game on Friday night/Saturday AM.

9. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Then FSC would need to drop Serie A. Setanta? I don't see it as they've got enough with EPL.

When was the last time FSC had the rights for 3 leagues at the same time? NOT HAPPENING.
    Good. Then stop claiming to know NewsCorp's finances up and down.

10. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :( I might order it if Gol tv doesnt come back.

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Hmmm...I still had it late last night. Weird.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have the Latino package, you probably still have it. I had Gol TV on the standard package, which was the one that just had FSE as a replacement until last weekend. The latino package gave both FSE and Setana as a replacement.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    aahhhh, ok.

14. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Directv being installed. Dish charged me nothing to cancel.

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Installer was great, he told me that no one switches from Directv.

FC Köln v Eintracht Frankfurt on Sunday- live, on Goltv, on Dish Network.

Also Goltv is sending me some sort of present for my email.

Suck Charlie, suck it!

16. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI.
    I just got this email from Goltv:

Dear Mr.

With the recent Bundesliga kick off and upcoming launch of La Liga action on Aug. 31, we want to you to know that we don't forsee reaching any compromise with Dish Network in the near future.

Because we don't want you to miss GolTV's unmatched soccer action, we recommend selecting an alternate video service provider at this time. On our site at www.goltv.tv you will find a list of our Distribution partners.

Also, as a token of appreciation for your continued support of GolTV, we would like to mail you an exclusive thank you gift. Please reply to this email with your full name and mailing address, and expect six to eight weeks for delivery.

Once again, thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Deborah Montiel

VP of Marketing.
    GOLTV Customer Service.

Has anybody else gotten this?

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, that's what I mentioned in my previous post.

18. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Panic, my bad.

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No worries, just wonder what they will send us ;)

20. rafaelj

rafaelj New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that's bad news!

We just missed the Germany-Belgium match because of this dispute.

But starting with this coming weekend it will really critically hurt ... not to have the GolTV Bayern matches live ... I will have to watch the stupid "Konferenz" on Pro7Sat1Welt ....

Just got HD installed from Dish and am stuck with the contract for a year or two. Also, Dish is the only provider with the German language package. (even though the German programming gets worse every day ....)

AAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!

21. Cleaner

Cleaner New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I am in the same boat... I just upgraded to HD on Dish and I am stuck with a long contract. I don't really see a conclusion to the issue from what I am hearing from both sides. I am in a wait an see pattern right now since it will cost way to much money to switch to DirectTV. I am a huge Bundesliga fan and pretty upset with the whole situation.

Is there an online service to watch the matches? Hopefully there is and it's reasonably priced.

22. rafaelj

rafaelj New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    You can always get the German language channel on Dish for a month. (I'm still hopeful they will resolve the issue) Pro7Sat1 has live Bundesliga on Fri, Sat and Sun. The weekend matches are shown conference style, not my idea of watching a game, but better than nothing.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is conference style?

24. rafaelj

rafaelj New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Saturday's matchday has 5 games at the same time. They show 2 minutes of one game, then go to the next game, etc etc ... or, if there's a goal or other event, they switch to that match right away.

It's an old radio tradition in Germany. It made sense in those times, but I don't like it much on TV. Imagine watching a segment of one match, only to suddenly get transferred to another one where someone just scored. But all you see is people celebrating. I prefer watching one full game, that way you can get a feeling for the whole thing, not just excerpts.

I assume it's a lazy way for Pro7Sat1 to not have to deal with complaints about why they show or don't show the Bayern match that day.

Don't get me started on the rather incompetent German channel programming .....

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's too funny. thanks for sharing that.