Alert: GolTV toils w/ DishNetwork

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Robdog, Aug 2, 2008.

1. rcornish4

rcornish4 New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Yea.... pretty sure that when I signed up I agreed to a year or 18 months or something.... if I recall correctly, it's $13.33 per month early. To me, completely worth it with everything about to start up!

2. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whew! I'm at 3 years plus with them.

3. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    I am in Montgomery County, and I am thinking on switching too, let me know how your installation goes.

Thanks in advance

4. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    I am considering leaving Dish too. Thankfully, I'm way past 3 years with them and should have no cancellation fees.

5. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid $49 for month to month contact when I signed up last year. Well worth it.

6. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm sure Gol Tv will eventually be put back on. If you enter 407 gol tv is still listed on the program guide and in info. If Dish had no intention of bringing it back they will delete it completely from the guide. Sooner or later Gol tv will cave and make a deal. They are the ones who have more to lose from this. We all just need to be patient.

7. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    The channel is temporarily replaced by FS_en_ESP and the program guide no longer shows GolTV's schedule, instead you have a message about Dish no longer carrying GolTV. Based on their message, I think GolTV is definitely out. What Dish Network is figuring out is what to replace it with on 407, or even worse, not replace it at all. :mad:

8. Portugeezer!

Portugeezer! Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Raynham, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If Dish had no intentions of bringing it back they would delete it period. it wouldn't be listed on the guide, if wouldn't even come up, they wouldn't even have that message. It would disappear completely, just like every other channel that has been dropped in the past. Like the Voom channels, when they were dropped. When those were dropped, they disappeared completely. I had to go online to find out they were dropped from the lineup. The fact that it's still listed, and even though its showing other programming in its place, the fact that when you put it on 407 it still says gol tv, is very promising. Gol tv will cave and accept Dish's terms.

9. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Well I don't know the situation of the 2 companies involved so I can't tell what is gonna happen. I'm just saying what I said based on their reaction when asked about it, both Dish and GolTV seem to have gone passed the point of negotiation. Dish is basically telling you to try their other channels, and when you explain that it's not the same and say you might change provider, they all but tell you don't let the door hit you on your way out. GolTV are basically telling you to drop Dish and get on a service where they're available. It sounds like they're making it clear that they're past the point of negotiating.

10. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    So you are saying that telling you how to get the programming you want to see is not caring ?

You said that GolTV (and E.D.) is all you watch, so the only way to help you out, would be to help you to cancel, which is what they did.

I guess you can't please anyone these days.

PS Supposedly the free preview of Setanta for Dish Latino subscribers is two months or when the disagreement is over, whichever comes first.

11. rafaelj

rafaelj New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    This comment is needlessly confrontational. I think we all understand what he means with "not caring". If you have DishTV and you enjoy GolTV, then for a Dish rep to point out the way to the door is not helpful. I think it is much rather perceived as a cynical attitude. They know very well that most of us Dish customers have some sort of time committment and "just leaving" would be a costly option. In my case, I just got the whole HD package, which locks you in for 12 or 24 months .... and there are some channels (like the German P7S1) that you can ONLY get with Dish.

All three parties involved, GolTV, Dish and us subscribers are losing something during the conflict, so the sooner this is over (and GolTV is back in programming) the better.

12. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I switched to DirecTV today.
    For 4 months during their promo:
    I will pay $30 less/mo
    I get NFL Sunday Ticket included
    All the sports channels I had with Dish
    GolTV
    FSC
    Setanta
    HBO, Starz, all the crap I never watch
    Free DVR receiver

And after 4 months I can drop the movies/sunday ticket package, keep Setanta, FSC, Gol, sports package and the DVR, and it will run me about $50 less/month than I was paying with Dish.

When you guys are ready to sign up let me know so I can get a referral :)

13. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ordered on Monday. Install is tomorrow! My bill is also cheaper because I didn't have to get a package of 250 channels which has 247 channels I will not watch.

14. richo

richo Member

Jun 1, 2007
    California
    I also just signed up for DirecTV. I just couldn't believe how indifferent Dish was. My installation is Thursday. When I signed up for Dish they gave me an installation date 2 1/2 weeks later. This shows me a greater concern for customers. I'm also getting GolTV, Fox Sports Español and ESPN Deportes through the Spanish package and GolTV English and Fox Soccer Channel through an Italian package. This is better than anything Dish offers and at a much lower price.

15. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Wait, so this free preview was gonna happen either way, even if the disagreement with GolTV wouldn't have happened? :confused:

16. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm patiently waiting for the installer to show. It's 1.5 hours past the end of the install window so I decided to call and confirm the installation. Put on hold for 15 minutes. When the lady comes back she tells me they could not get in touch with the installer but they were going to credit my account $100 for the inconvenience. I'll be honest, I didn't really expect them to show up on time anyway but I'll take the $100 credit.

17. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    No, it is due to the disagreement with GolTV.

(When I said "2 months or the end of the disagreement, whichever comes first", I was referring to the length of the free preview.)

18. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    All of you people seem to think that when you call one of the 1,000 customer service phone representatives, you are talking to the Vice President of Programming. :rolleyes:

The Dish phone rep cannot get an agreement with GolTV just because you call with your honest desire for GolTV.

So, Dish does not have GolTV, and you really want GolTV. SO, the phone rep cannot help you get GolTV in any other way other than by telling you how to cancel.

19. LJSoccer

LJSoccer Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Lake Jackson TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right on the money with this. This way I really get what I want, not a bunch of crap that I never watch. I wrote GolTV and told them that I was not in a position to leave Dish because of the contract. Dish already knows they have some of us over a barrel.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the problem--when you make a polite request via e-mail as to why Gol TV was removed and do *not* say that you are thinking about cancelling and the response tells you that you cannot cancel via e-mail but need to call--that's not exactly good customer service. To put it another way, if you as a provider of a service a question about their service and their primary response is to tell you how to cancel, most people would think that the service provider in question does not want you as a customer--or at the least does not want customers who ask questions. This seems to be getting more and more popular these days and was especially big with Cable TV. Satellite touted themselves as different. Sadly, they are not--or at least Dish network is not. At the very least a reply along the lines of "we are still negotiating but we want to keep you as a customer" would have been preferable. I get the feeling that they really don't want me as a customer.

21. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    You are way off mark, completely missing the point here. The feeling of poor customer service doesn't come from their inability to get GolTV.

22. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    FSEP sucks. The only futebol games they show as of late is copa sudamerica which doesnt peak my interest at all. Does FSEP show EPL games?

23. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Yes, I don't know for this upcoming season but they used to show EPL and FA Cup games.

24. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    So how many of you have given "Cheap Charlie" the red card and switched to DirecTV because of the latest "Cheap Charlie" ego display?

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was considering which Satellite company to sign up with, and I was already leaning towards Directv because they seem to be much more dedicated to keeping up with sports programming. This just confirmed that.