Alert: GolTV toils w/ DishNetwork

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Robdog, Aug 2, 2008.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    While that might make "Cheap Charlie" feel good about himself, it doesn't do a heck of a lot for DISH customers, though, does it. If you are correct, and his efforts result in better prices for DISH and Direct customers, wouldn't subscribing to Direct make more sense? You still get the better rates, and you don't have to deal with these periodic programming disruptions. Doesn't seem like Charlie, in all his grand wisdom, has really thought this strategy out very well.

2. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    I don't have inside information, so I don't know who is at fault, but I know that Goltv is in their final contract with LA LIGA and Bundesliga, so if they don't have LA LIGA for the 2009-10 season, Goltv will be gone, gone and gone.....

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then you will be paying $5-15 a month per channel. You get 150 channels because there are 149 other people who want those channels and pay as well. Assuming :

ESPN = 10
    ESPN 2= 10
    ESPN Classic= 10
    Goltv = 10
    FSC = 10

That's $50 a month for 5 channels. Now maybe if you pay $5 you will get it for 25. I don't know how they would charge for it.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah.

Keep in mind that many channels are operated by the same company. Under such ala carte options, if you want ESPN, you'd probably have to receive ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPNU, and maybe channels like ABC Family as well.

If you want FSC, you may have to sign up for Fox News, Fox Movie Channel, FSE, and whatever other NewsCorp channels exist in the USA.

Say you want NBC? What about CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo, USA, etc.

5. lberga

lberga Member

Jul 3, 2006
    So is there a certain email address for goltv or dish that we should all be flooding?

ps how realistic do we think it is that they'll bring gol back?

6. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Sorry, but Ray Hudson is the best US English speaking commentator for footie ball. Hudson is exclusively on GolTV
    [youtube]v/3x7gu-7WXvI[/youtube]

info@goltv.tv

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customer_service/contact_us/index.shtml

7. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is likely why Dish replaced Gol TV with Fox Sports Espanol. Bet they got a special deal for Fox as Fox might well be worried about the market share in soccer Gol TV has been taking away. This is one way for Fox to try to kill a competitor. Remember, FSC *used* to have the Bundesliga. Anyway, some of this may be even more of a moot point as German courts are looking at the Bundelsliga TV deal and turning a thumbs down to it (on anti-trust grounds, as near as I can make out) which may open the way for the individual teams to market their own TV games. So the "Bayern Canal" may be coming soon to a tv near you.... Of course, those who are not Bayern fans may get shut out.

9. DefenseWinsCliche

DefenseWinsCliche New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    everywhereville, usa
    so is la liga covered by fox sports en espanol. This is bullshit. I can't believe this is happening.

10. REBOLLOS

REBOLLOS Member

Aug 23, 1999
    I checked with 13 people, some of them friends of mine, all have Dish and love soccer. 11 of those 13 will switch to a company that will carry Goltv by the end of the month if the problem is not resolved. The other will consider swithing but they will like to have more info, like who is at fault in this situation. If we apply this spercentage nationwide with this many people willing to swicht, and they don´t care who is right or if they have to pay more in order to have Goltv, I think Dish could be facing losing a lot of customers.....

11. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    How would that work for Dish Latino subscribers though?

Fox Sports En Español in two different channels showing the same exact thing? :rolleyes:

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably why they are giving Setana Sports to the Dish Latino subscribers as a "replacement" but not the main Dish Network subscribers.

13. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I find it hard to believe that Dish will give Setanta to Dish Latino subscribers for free from now on :eek: It's just a free-preview.

Unless the package's price jumps up "magically" by 15 dollars :D

14. richo

richo Member

Jun 1, 2007
    California
    It is just a free preview for a month. I can't believe that just us Dish Latino subscribers got this “courtesy”. I have e-mailed both Dish and GolTV and GolTV seemed more apologetic. In my e-mail to Dish I stated that I may at a minimum cancel Dish Latino (as GolTV and ESPN Deportes are about all I watch) and am actually considering cancelling Dish. They responded by saying that if I want to cancel I need to call, I can't do it by e-mail. Not exactly the response you would expect from a company that cares about its customers.

15. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if I am going to cancel Dish Network, what would it cost me?

And can we get these channels at DirecTV?

FSC
    GolTV
    Setanta
    NFL Network
    All the Fox Sports regional channels
    WorldsportHD (not necessary, but they show la liga in HD)

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think they have Worldsport, but I know they have the rest. Setanta is the same price on both and the others would probably cost around $65 a month. But you should go to the website to get what you want.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recieved a similar response and all I was asking is what was up with the situation. My guess is that they don't want customers that might complain because it costs them money to staff the customer service lines.

18. Mailrenegade

Mailrenegade Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Reading,PA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was away for 8 days so all of this is new to me. Let me see if I understand all of this. Dish took away Goltv because of some kind of squabble. However, they have replaced it with Fox Sports Espanol. At least for now. Which is totally in Spanish. But they are giving a free preview of Setanta to the Dish Latino customers. But they arent giving me that free preview because I am getting the Fox Sports Espanol replacement of Dish.

In a nut shell I am getting a free preview of a channel in spanish that I cant understand while the Dish Latino customers are getting the free preview of the English language Setanta???

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same reason I did - Dish had Goltv first.

20. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    LOL, something like that.

Dish Latino subscribers actually have FSE in two different channels :rolleyes:

21. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That way they can run Picture-in-picture and let each eyeball have their own broadcast. It's like stereo for your eyes.

22. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dish no longer has Worldsport either, it was part of Voom. I have already ordered DirectTV. So long dish.

23. rcornish4

rcornish4 New Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    Yea, just realized this earlier today as I was checking GolTv.tv for the schedule. Dish Network is gonna lose me.... Going back to Direct TV. Now I just got to figure what the cancellation fee will be :(

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dish just doesn't really care that much. The hardcore group of American soccer fans who want GolTV just isn't worth their time. Dish probably calculated it out that X number of people are part of that small group and if they all move to Directv it won't hurt their bottom line at all. I doubt they are crying to much. All I know is that I'm glad this happened right before I was about to get satellite. Made my choice much easier.

25. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cancellation fee?