Goltv inquiry

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by ilpugliese, Nov 5, 2003.

1. ilpugliese

ilpugliese New Member

Nov 5, 2003
    far away
    For those of you lwho isten to Goltv in english, how would you rate the translation and/or commentaries for their programs?

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'll try to be nice about this, because I know there are several GolTV employees who read/post on Big Soccer. I appreciate the passion and exhuberance of the English language commentary on Gol. Having read some of the previously mentioned employee's posts I now understand what they are trying to achieve with their "style" of broadcasting. However, I find much of what they do to be quite amateurish. Several of the commentators don't have what I would consider to be a professional broadcaster quality voice, they basically sound like very young men. They often make side jokes and/or veer from the game commentary completely. Heck, sometimes they disappear altogether for large segments of time and we are left with no commentary at all. I also have noticed what appears to be a lack of research when it comes to the players/teams involved with the games they are calling. This is particularly true of some of the smaller leagues like Bolivia or Peru. It is understandable that they wouldn't know all the players in all the leagues, but it still comes off to the viewer as a lack of preperation. All in all, I enjoy my GolTV viewing experience and I'm just glad that they are there, especially now while FSW is being overrun by Rugby World Cup coverage.....stupid rugby. These are just the things I would like to see them improve on as they evolve over time.

3. constantino3

constantino3 Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Miami
    Although I appreciate very much your politeness and your effort not to offend us, please be assured that there is no reason to be nice just because GolTV reads these messages. I am very eager to know all the problems we have, and intentionally browse this board to look the worst comments that I can find. This is, in my humble opinion, the only way we may be in close contact with our audience and the only way to really improve our product.

Many of the critiques I've seen more commonly addressed in the past have been taken care, or at least we attempted to do so. For example:

- we changed the repeats we had during weekdays, now we have 6 to 8 "first round" games from Mon. to Fri. (games shown in US TV for the first time.)
    - we are working with the company that produces DISH's Electronic Guide so that our programming is correctly listed there.
    - we are now doing a continous quality check of our English SAP, already changed some voices and the nature of some comments, and you should be noting improvements in the incoming weeks.
    - we added more European content, notably "La Liga", but also some UEFA games and some Friendlies.
    - we are adding more content and analysis to "Fútbol Total". We list Futbol Total condensed matches in our web site.
    - our web site lists up to the hour updates of our programming grid. We try to communicate independent web sites like SoccerTV or WorldSoccerVision all the news we can.

All the comments, specially harsh critiques, are welcomed.

Constantino
    GolTV, Inc.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Constantino,
    Keep up the good work. I truly meant that I enjoy my GolTV viewing experience. I have noticed improvements over the last month or so, and I have seen the changes to the schedule and website info. I have one question, and I think I know the answer, but I will ask anyway. Is there anyway that you guys can announce your weekend Serie A and La Liga games a bit earlier? SoccerTV.com and your own website usually don't have that info until Friday, Thursday at the earliest. FSW seems to have their schedule finalized by mid week at the latest. It's not a big deal, its just nice to know whats coming up. Another suggestion, it would be nice to see some of the live mid-week games rebroadcast later in the day so that those of us with daytime jobs can see the games. I noticed you have some UEFA Cup matches this week that look interesting, but I won't be able to watch due to the timing. Again, keep up the good work, its nice to see you guys on Big Soccer communicating with your customers like this.

5. hammie

hammie New Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Macomb, Michigan
    I also have noticed a lot of improvements in the past month or so. Great Job! Also The thing I love about GOLtv is that you can actually talk to the people who run it and they really do can note of your suggestions.

Keep up the good Work!

6. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Any chance the English voices can actually get their own studio and appear instead of just being voices?

Because for someone who can understand Spanish - though not perfectly fluent - it's very disconcerting to hear something completely different from what I can clearly lip read the announcers saying.

Is there a reason it has to be dubbed?

7. gunner's fan

gunner's fan New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Elizabeth WV
    Showing extra La Liga games through the week sounds good.But say I watch Barca-Betis and Real-Sevilla and I really want to watch Valencia-Racing mon afternoon will you give the score of the Valencia game during the other two?I love your channel but is there any way you can show the games in order I can't watch a match I know the final score of.Thanks

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    There is a simple method to watch games this way.

Use a masking tape to mask out the portion of the screen that you know the channel will display the score box of the other games. It works most of the time.

This scheme won't work if the channel has live cut-in updates showing the goals of the other games, like the NFL or the RAI International broadcast of Serie A games Sunday morning, but it's not a problem for la Liga.

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Any chance of GolTV coming to TWC NYC ?
    Maybe Gol TV could buy the rights to the English Nationwide league? :)

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Just wanted to give an update: I watched Noticias last night and I did notice a BIG difference in the English broadcast. The volume issue seems to have been resolved, I only had to turn the volume up about 15% higher then other channels as oppossed to the 200% before. Also, it seems like you guys changed commentators, the ones last night were great. BIG difference, much more watchable. Thanks for listening.

11. gunner's fan

gunner's fan New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Elizabeth WV
    Did anyboby else who watched the Borussia Dortmund match today notice the two studio guys accidentally turn on the mic in the studio and proceed to talk about tires,buying a new car and even about one of their wives.This went on for five minutes drowning out the match commentary.

12. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I think GolTV needs to run a schedule after every one of their shows.

13. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Just having defected from TWC to Dish and getting GolTV in the process, watching it gives me great hope that I may one day become a broadcaster. :D

14. constantino3

constantino3 Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Miami
    It seems that either the smurf, dwarf or goblin that use to wander around our studios managed to incorrectly turn on the studio mic when it was not needed. (our SAP comments were coming directly from the UEFA European feed).

At least we managed to stop these creatures from messing with our Electronic Grids, I've just checked and DISH's electronic guide accurately lists all the weekend games and all next week programming.

Our sincere apologizes for the problem, and thank you for your comprehension.

Constantino
    GolTV, Inc.