Golden Boot Award

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by Blondo, Mar 29, 2018.

?

Who will win the Golden Boot Award?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2018.
  1. Messi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Neymar

9.1%
  3. Griezmann

18.2%
  4. Kane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jesus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lukaku

9.1%
  8. Müller

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Werner

27.3%
  10. Costa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Other

36.4%
  1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

For me, it's Griezmann.

2. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I voted "Other." In the last 2 World Cups, it went to someone relatively unexpected in Diego Forlan and James Rodriguez. If he continues his form at Dortmund, gets starts for Belgium, and they go on a deep run, I could see Batshuayi being a dark horse for the Golden Boot.

3. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Lukaku will be leading the line for Belgium (unless injured, dip in form, ...). Martinez has used a two-striker system from time to time, including playing both Michy and Lukaku, but that doesn't seem to be the default system. Batsman isn't expected to start but will most likely get some minutes.

4. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Batsu >>> Lukaku
    to start Lukaku would really be a questionable decision imo

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I think if Egypt get to the 2nd round or quarters, it should be Salah. Egypt's group is a joke and he should be able to get 4 goals from the group stage alone. If they get to second round, he can probably get another goal. Quarters, we'll see.

It's also entirely possible that he gets even 5 or 6 goals in the group stage, like Salenko did in 1994.

6. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    It really wouldn't.

Since the start of this season Lukaku has scored 10 goals in 6 games for Belgium, just over 2 goals per 90' #scorching
    Lukaku has over 200 goals for club and country (99 in the PL) and at the age of 24yo he's already in the top 30 of the all-time PL top scorers list (ahead of the likes of Bergkamp, Cantona, RvNistelrooy, ... and he'll soon overtake his idol Drogba).
    He's the highest-scoring player on the current Belgian team (under Wilmots that used to be Fellaini :oops:) and it's working out great since Martinez took over. He's now one of the top performers and a guarantee for goals.
    Only Ronaldo and Lewandowski scored more in the European WCQs.

You need to hit the ground running so we'll see who's in top form during the training camp ahead of Russia. As things stand Lukaku is a nailed-on starter, Michy often scores coming off the bench and Mertens presents a completely different set of problems for defences.

7. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's clumsy as hell, no football brain, just speed and power. Most of his goals were tap ins. Mario Gomez looks like Messi in comparison. That's probably enough for the Premier League but not for International football. It's a tragedy having a guy like Batsu sitting on the bench watching Lukaku getting bossed.

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I'll disagree with your view on Lukaku v Michy but even if we were to entertain it why didn't you opt for Mertens then? Mertens is incredibly easy on the eyes, very smart, has perfect control, can do anything with a ball and those finishes, world class.

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mertens is a great winger or counter player, I've nerver seen him play as a forward but I believe you that he can be an option there. Isn't he a bit small for that, though? I like Batsu's style more, he's a good combination of power, skill and speed.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Falcao. He will be this year's version of Forlan.

11. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    In Belgium's usual 3-4-2-1 it's the wingbacks that almost exclusively provide width. Mertens is comfortable dropping down into midfield, drifting out wide or interchanging with Hazard and it's also not unusual to see him move into more central areas up front, like at club level (where they also aren't concerned about his height or better yet lack thereof). For country, Mertens has been used as a sole striker as well and with a strike partner (in a 3-5-2 with Benteke as a traditional target man but Benteke is very much in danger of missing out if he doesn't turn things around at club level). Hazard has been more prolific though. Still Eden isn't that tall either. Martinez was asked if he'd consider using Hazard as a false 9 (like Conte did) and said he wouldn't as Hazard doesn't thrive there and he has Lukaku, Michy and Mertens to pick from (if Benteke's form improves he'd also be in the picture again). All in all, most of Belgium's goals are expected to come from Lukaku. After him, Hazard has been on song for country and then I'd start having a look at Mertens, Michy, et al. (even Carrasco and Meunier chip in quite often with goals and assists of course).