Gold Star Theory?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nobletea, Nov 8, 2004.

1. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember a few years back when I first learned the DC jersey no longer featured the 3 gold stars representing the 3 MLS championships. At the time it kinda bugged me, cause I really liked the idea.

Later, after some lack of success on the field, I remember joking with people that it was because they took the stars off the kit.

Last night when looking at photos of Saturday's match, I conciously noticed their return.

Well... I think you can guess where I'm headed with this... so can anyone confirm if the 3 gold stars were lacking in the 2000-2003 seasons? I am almost sure about 2000 and 2003. If so, what about this theory? Comments?

If it pans out, I think the stars should never again be removed for fear of their "curse."

:)

noble

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I was at the UVA men's soccer game last Friday against Maryland. Their five stars surrounding the crest was pretty cool looking. Hopefully United can add a fourth this weekend to start gaining ground on their former coaches stomping ground.

I'm a little dissapointed that George Mason University's women's team doesn't wear a star on their kits though, as they are one of the very few other schools besides UNC to have ever won a championship. Although maybe they just don't let the women's college teams do it because the Tar Heels would have a jersey full of stars.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's pretty much like giving some hottie a dollar bill at the titty bar. It doesn't matter who saw it, deep down you got to see the goods.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    EDIT

Chico13 corrected the dates in a post below. I think everything is labelled correctly now.

-----------------------------------------------

Can someone double check the dates. I never could keep the uniform years straight, so I went by the dates on the files and the roster history. I don't know if it's all correct.

2003-2002
    3 Stars
    [​IMG]

No stars
    [​IMG]

2000-1999
    2 Stars - even in 2000 when we should have had 3
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure about 2000. Can anyone fill that in (and check the accuracy of the above pictures). Also, I think some years the home uniform had stars but the away didn't. Not sure about that though, to be honest.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Actually the pic you gave as the 2002 mistake was the 1999/2000 jersey. The 2003 pic jersey came out in the 2001/2002 season (My Favorite)

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Thanks for the correction! I've updated the post accordingly.

I knew the Ziadie one was right though ... he was only on the roster one year.

8. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for doing the homework guys. I'm glad the evidence disputes the theory.... or perhaps there's a year's pennance for each star? :)

Anyway, I love the gold stars, they should definitely be a part of every jersey in some tasteful way going forward.