Gold medal match (USA - JPN)

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Please stay on topic and refrain from mentioning the Canada - USA match.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They are exhausted and got a sloppy defense.

To beat Japan, give them less set piece opportunities and take the chances.

3. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    The U.S. needs to start Becky Sauerbrun instead of either Buehler or LP in this match. The US defense needs composure on the ball and I believe Becky has that. Buehler tends to either kick the ball right in front of her own goal or straight at a defender when under pressure. Rampone needs to stick to the middle and not chase players outside the box leaving us exposed defensively.

Cheney has been a real disappointment in this tournament. I felt that with her team leading 10 assists coming into this tournament, she'd be our lead playmaker. If she can't hack it for one half then HAO should replace her, moving Heath to the center.

Morgan.........Morgan.......Morgan. I'm counting on her to make something happen early in this game to set the pace. She has always performed well late in tournaments and currently leads the team in both goals (20) and assists (11) this year. A nice assist to Abby or a goal herself would be much appreciated in the first half.

Hope Solo will be tested, but hopefully outside the edge of the box where she has a chance to make a play. Japan will play well in this match, so we can't make any defensive mistakes. The US may lose their cool if Japan takes a 1-0 lead.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This Japan team is disciplined, good at passing, and quite precise with the long balls. Just like the team that won the WC. However, there is a big difference: Homare Sawa. She's not the monster she was last year, she's lost a step and has remained secondary in this team. Her short pass distribution is still top notch, but she's not a risk going forward like she used to be. At 33, she's finally slowing down.

That should be enough. The USA wins, but it will be tight. 1-0.

5. Reallyoldnorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unlike the WC, we finish some good chances. Morgan makes all the difference. Little bit of a limb, but we take it 3-1.

6. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm sorry but if it's not Buehler's mistake none of the Japanese goals would happen in last year's final.

7. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks that NBC decided to air this game on NBCSN instead of NBC.

8. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Yes! What the hell does it take to get on NBC... oh wait, be a sport that even less American's watch then soccer. Dressage anyone?

(Not dissing Dressage, just saying less people watch that then soccer. They show everything but soccer on NBC).

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    NBC: If it's worth watching, you aren't watching us.

10. And G

And G Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Club:
    Okayama Yunogo Belle
    A wild prediction appears: Japan 3, USA 0.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

That's right up there with "the sun will nova tommorrow" all right.

Possible, I guess.

12. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i hope for a good game but i honestly sort of expect the US blowout comb to appear.

13. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    You can get 89-1 odds on that score. I hope that it's less likely that the sun will explode tomorrow. If it does, it was nice knowing all of you.

14. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Who would have predicted Canada to score 3 on Monday? Japan would appear plenty capable to do it.

15. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Sure. I'm just hoping that the sun doesn't explode.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That would piss me off. That would definitely mess with the satellites and broadcast of the match.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The last goal was Krieger's, one of our best defenders.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

And the USA seems perfectly capable of 4,

They have done it twice already.

Japan hasn't.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You mean Sawa's goal in ET? Buehler lost Sawa.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Kreiger left the sitter for Saki Kumagai.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Japan mostly set good defense and try to catch your mistake or use set pieces. Brazil and France both lost because of this.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I remember it's a corner and Sawa scored with a touch. The first one is also left by Buehler, she couldn't clear the ball in time.

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, a bad memory. Why was a pass going to Krieger right across the goal to begin with? To the goalside of Krieger no less, not to the side where she's facing away from goal. Ugh, ugh, double-ugh. I never could pin that one on Kriegs.

24. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Relax.this is a different match. I think we are better. I don't think they are as good.

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I could share your optimism. It's looked so easy for Japan in the last 2 matches.