Gold Medal Match: USA-Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Knockout Rounds' started by Bonnie Lass, Aug 18, 2008.

1. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If for no other reason than that she awakened the American sports fan to women's soccer.

2. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Most spectacular"? OK. Best? No - that would be Michelle Akers. Even Mia says so.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said earlier (I think), I only started watching women's soccer in 1999 and so missed a lot of Mia Hamm's highlight reel performances. I did have the privilege of watching her for three years in the WUSA. I didn't see her beat double-teams all that often, but boy if she managed to get to a one-on-one, she could make a defender look silly.

And it's a good point about Mia being better than Marta at long shots and set pieces.

4. ASublimePass

ASublimePass Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying anything about Akers, but if you know Mia's personality you would not expect her to say anything else but to name someone else as the greatest ever. So her comment means nothing in this discussion.

5. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Does anybody have a copy of the match or a torrent of it. i can find all the other matches apart from this one which is very strange.

6. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001

I'm looking for a copy of it also. I had it dvr'd but accidentally erased it!!!! ARGH! I would gladly pay a reasonable fee to have a copy of this game! Thanks.

7. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    awww sorry that must be so frustrating. lol .

i'm actually amazed that i can't find it anywhere. The mens gold medal match is everywhere, most other importnt gold medal events are everywhere also.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sorry, I hadn't been by this thread recently. If you haven't found it yet and are still looking for a torrent of the Gold Medal Match, it can be found here. A few people (including myself) are still seeding it. You will have to join the site, but you won't have to worry about the transfer being slow or hurting your ratio or anything like that since it's a "free" file.

9. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    You cannot compare a 22 year old Marta to a 30 or 32 year old Mia at the end of her career. In 2004 it took some young kids (Wambach & Tarpley) to lend a hand. The old guard knew it was time to pass the torch. When and if Marta plays as long and accomplishes as much, I will include her with the likes of Hamm, Milbrett, Overbeck, Fawcett, Jennings and Lilly etc. I purposely left Akers out of the list because she stands alone. Mia didn't name 10 people who were better than her, she only named Akers because it was true.

10. Zizou90

Zizou90 New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Its too dificult to compare several genarations