Gold Medal Match: USA-Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Knockout Rounds' started by Bonnie Lass, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Jarndyce

Jarndyce New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Tampa/St. Pete
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in Brazil they were onside plays...everywhere else...when you start the play 3 yards behind the defense, it's offsides.

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Agreed - simply unlucky - IMO, she did the correct thing - the keeper had just slipped and had to put her hand down to keep from going down - chipping her was the correct move, it just didn't work out. Unlucky but still the correct play.

3. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to disagree about Solo being the key. Rampone was WOTM by a light year. (All right, Markgraf had a masive game, too.)

4. Jarndyce

Jarndyce New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Tampa/St. Pete
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THe best! That's funny. Marta might be the best Brazilian ever. But she's not in the Top 10.

The Brazilian Team looked huge and fast. They aren't going anywhere. I hope other soccer mad nations like England, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Spain, Portugal follow Brazil's example and dedicate resources to developing strong WOmen's sides....there is too great a chasm between the US/Brazil/Germany/China quartet and the rest of the world...

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They usually replay the matches on the soccer channel - I would guess around 3 pm today.

6. Jarndyce

Jarndyce New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Tampa/St. Pete
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a pure killer instinct should've kicked in. She should've loaded up and sent a low screamer. But my main problem was she had enough space and time to keep going to goal! She tried to chip from the 18yd box? :eek:

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Oh, I agree, but I don't think what she did was "choaking" or anything like that. Nothing wrong with chipping when from the 18 when the keeper is at the 12. If the keeper didn't get a hand on that ball, it was going in.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always have mixed feelings about judging players in a team sport by the number of championships they win. In any case, Mia Hamm wasn't all that dominate, even in her prime. She wasn't the US leading scorer in any major tournament (WWC or Olympics), so far as I can tell, and I've heard that one of the knocks on her has been that she tended to fade away rather than step up when it really counted.

Setting that aside, I haven't seen very many players who could beat double- and triple-teams, and Marta's one of the few. And, yes, she is 22, which means she's got lots of time left to show us what she's capable of.

9. mercersoccer

mercersoccer New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Well done ladies.

Can we now turn the page on Lilly Scurry Ryan & Co (including Chastain & Foudy) and the World Cup nightmare.

And can Carli Lloyd get her due? Two great goals - one against Japan to get the US through and the game winner today. She was solid on the ball and in the attack for the whole Olympics, and her defending was tremendous. Maybe add a few more Jersey girls and we can bring home a world cup.

10. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just watch the game again, take a look at the two offside calls in a row in the second half of the overtime, and I wanna see if you have to face to say this again. Both were replayed 3 times at SporTV and the commentators couldn't even believe how those calls were made.

What the heck? Do you say that because she hasn't ever won a major international competition, because she still doesn't have tons of accolades? If you rate someone as the best for being the BEST player, and that is the way it should be done, there's no way Marta won't be #1. The football world has ever seen a player like Marta. Nobody has ever been as influential, inventive and dangerous on the women's pitch, no matter how many accolades they have.

You must be trying really hard to say everything right in the opposite way of reality. Resources? Brazil hasn't dedicated a single thing to this squad. There's no preparation, no brazilian league and half of the players in the team are unemployed girls who have been playing soccer with their older brothers in "peladas" in the streets.

11. mercersoccer

mercersoccer New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Fortunately for you, comments aren't censored here for lack of knowledge of the game or stupidity.

Lloyd has a defined role in the system, does exactly what she is asked to do, and executes like a professional is expected to. Perhaps you would prefer to see the selfish crap soccer we saw from Lilly & Wagner last year.

12. TheGreatFire

TheGreatFire New Member

Jun 25, 2007

I can only assume you never watched Mia Hamm in her prime.

13. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Excuses and complaints because a fan lost.

Yeah, that's exactly what he's/she is saying. I remember someone called Ronaldihno who was once the best player in the world and did amazing things, Brazilians even went so far to call him as great as Pele. Now you call him Gordighno (fatso-suffix).

Marta is too young, hasn't won anything. Mia Hamm is a legend, who came from a time when Womens Soccer was just peaking, when struggles and hardships to recognize women as professional and international football players shaped. Then you add the championships to that.

You sound like a glorifying fan boy/girl . If your "Marta" was the best, she would have won Gold today.

And... what's your point?
    I was fortunate enough to be at a time when female soccer was escalating in popularity. Americans women were in the same position or still are, playing with their older brothers, with average preparation and everything else that in that mind of yours a decade ago.

They say anyone can play football, even the poor. Where was Brazil then? Where was Argentina and the rest of the football sporting powers? It was the Americans who picked up the womens game, it was the Americans who struggled to make Futbol popular and be recognized. It's because of the Americans , the women game is where it's at. It's because of the Americans, you can come on here with your improved Brazil and start bitching about stuff you don't even know what you're talking about.

I know in Brazil and in South American "la chicas" are considered or were considered "masculine" (excuse my language dykes) if they play football. It's one reason Argentina game is so slow, the stereo-types women go through, on top of the problems Brazil faces through family, work and everything.

Face it, Americans have a better history, a better team, better players historically etc. Brazil only has come up in very recent years.

This is typical of sports when popularity takes flight. If you study your sporting history, one nation or some nations dominate the game for decades , until other nations begin coming into the frey, increasing the competition.

In 100 years from now, when you're all dead, people will be thinking, talking and speaking differently. Unless a comet destroys us all.

14. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you were to replace "Mia Hamm" with "Michelle Akers," you'd have something. Now there was a dominant player. Even Mia says so.

15. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's not an excuse or a complaint (USA won and deservingly so), that's a fact, those were both wrong calls.

There will always be people who know nothing about football claiming that players like Ronaldinho or Cristiano Ronaldo are the best to have ever graced the pitch. Needless to say, they're wrong, but not because CR7 or R10 haven't won enough, but because they aren't good enough. Regarding the highlighted part of your message, I've been living in Brazil for the past 22 years of my life and I've never heard this. This is an invention, just like Maradona supporters like to say that brazilians think Garrincha was better than Pele. Well, we don't.

And yet she has to be double marked against the best teams in the world, and still almost always manages to be the most influential player in the pitch.

Paolo di Canio is a legend, Canhoteiro is not. Paolo di Canio was a great player, Canhoteiro was one of the best football players ever. Roque Junior is a WC champion, Zico is not. Zico is one of the best football players ever, Roque Junior is not.

You sound like you don't know this is a 11-a-side sport, and that even the best can lose.

There's no point, it's just that the poster was plain wrong in saying that Brazil dedicates resources to the game. It doesn't.

Ok, congratulations. This doesn't have a thing to do with what was being posted, I don't have the patience to read all this bragging so I won't even bother answering the rest. Congratulations again. And ah!... congratulations!

16. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Ok, I couldn't resist the curiosity and ended up reading the whole thing. Comets??!? WTF???

17. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well then you can put Marta in comparison to a male player in the same category as CR7. I doubt you can argue that mentality; Marta isn't good enough yet to deserve the title of best ever.
    It circulated in the Brazillian press, and took off as an international saying.
    I can't believe your argument with comparison about Pele/Garrincha because I don't think you speak for all of Brazil, nor do I buy into the comment you made.

So what? That doesn't make her the best player of all time.

No! I'm sorry, you can't use this comparison. Men's soccer has over 110 year competitive history, nearly all FIFA Womens interantional events were created this century.

Mia Hamm is a legend for women`s soccer. This is what we are discussing. Even if we did, I think you have your wires crossed on what constitutes a Legend. Also it is fair to say, that since you were born a decade after Canhoteiro's death, using a present day example of a 'icon legend' Dicanio vs Canhoteiro makes your comparison vague.

I apologize, you're right, I misinterpreted a part of his message and interpreted your message going from defending Marta to defending Chica de Samba.

18. blinkypalermo

blinkypalermo New Member

Sep 27, 2007

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm sorry, everytime I see your user name, all I can think of is:

Pinky Tuscadero

[​IMG]

Sorry, can't get it out of my head :D

20. blinkypalermo

blinkypalermo New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    That's good. Very funny. Italian gangster to an Italian hottie in a onesie.

21. Woody-99

Woody-99 Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, I never thought the USA could hold off Brazil after the second half but their defense really stepped up.
    Seems to be Brazil's fate to trash the opponent in the semifinal and then forget to finish their chances in the final.

22. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    That's interesting. Germany and US just share all trophies between each other without rivalry. Germany takes World Cups and EU cups, while US get Olympics and Algarve cups. If I am right, after 2000 Olympic, there has not been a single tournament in which either Germany or US has not won the trophy.

Poor Brazil is always killed by one of these two. To win your first trophy you should beat both of them in one tournament.

23. hockeyrules

hockeyrules Member

Oct 4, 2003
    I have two words for you: Michelle Akers. She was not only influential, inventive and dangerous: She won the Golden Boot, Olympic Gold and World Cups. Oh yeah, and she was the Player of the Century.

Marta is a great player who has been unable to inspire her team to victory. Michelle Akers put her team on her back and willed them to victory. Too bad her career preceded YouTube and the media didn't cover women's soccer back in the day, because she was a highlight film all by herself.

Marta is better on the ball, but Michelle was the best finisher I ever saw play.

24. hockeyrules

hockeyrules Member

Oct 4, 2003
    Funniest post of the thread.

Quick! Get her off the pitch! Before she scores the GOLD MEDAL GOAL! GET HER OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Brazil just doesn't seem to have that "Siegermentalität" when it's required. After they went down a goal, the girls didn't play with a sense of urgency until the last 5 mins of the 2nd OT!