Gold Medal Match: USA-Brazil [R]

Discussion in 'Knockout Rounds' started by Bonnie Lass, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I didn't realize that was her - holy crap - she's only in her late 40's - she looks 65. :eek:

2. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Solo was really the difference in the game. She made the big save, and Barbara didn't.

3. divx2k

divx2k New Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Whoo hoo...US hang on to win gold. Hic hic...I'm crying happy tear right now. US is so lucky though. Hope Solo make couple of critial save for us, but then again we also missed couple of sure chance goal from AROD and LLOYD. Good game.

4. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I told the Brazil fans to be careful about that! I feel sick for Brazil but they had their chances.

The USA played like they wanted to win and deserved it.

5. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think Barbara was more of the difference :p

But the US' defense seemed to be more stable than they had been in the whole tournament.

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

Whose fault is it when she puts the ball over the cross bar and then points and whines? She begs for a call anytime she hits the turf.

7. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Kai is a showboat. Does nothing but want to bring attention to herself by taking her jersey off at the finish. Same thing when she entered the game. What US soccer doesn't need!

Great COLLECTIVE effort by the US women.

8. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game. I have to say that the US were outplayed everywhere except the defence and they could thank their lucky stars that they took advantage of the few opportunities they had.

9. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Where did the NigerianAmerican go? Same guy in the argie-nigeria mens thread in the Argie section. xD Looks like he's getting some tissues.

Congratulations USA on your second consecutive Gold Medal performance.
    Please visit the Argentina - Nigeria thread in the Argentina National section and wish us well. We will need your luck to defend our title, as I came to wish you luck to.:cool:

[​IMG] You gotta have faith... ya gotta have faith.. dun dun dun.. [​IMG]

10. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there going to be a medal ceremony?

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I'm totally taking credit for laying the reverse jinx on her. ;)

12. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yep, it looks like it. I would be in the shower with the girls if I could and report back to you, so we just have to anticipate. :D

Announcer just announced Victory Ceremony.

I wanna take one of those Chinese medal presenters home with me.

13. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    it's happening right now on the soccer specialty channel.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Watching it now on nbcolympics.com

15. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you ever been physically marked by two defenders out of a game? I haven't, I've always been a goalkeeper, but I can honestly say it seems very frustrating from my spot. Anyway, even though she was tightly marked, it was when the ball was at her feet that we knew something could happen for Brazil. She's by far the best player women football has ever seen.

16. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, I don't think so. There are other women ahead of her. She's one of the most skilled in this day in age. What's that American girl who retired from play, she's one of the best. Is it Mia Hamm?

17. blinkypalermo

blinkypalermo New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I am very pleased the US won. But, I am puzzled by the offsides that were called on Brazil that were obviously onsides. Does the Women's game not play the same offsides rules as the men. Do they have to be onsides even after the ball is kicked. I was under the impression the player could run after the ball is kicked as long as they were onsides to begin with. I can understand a few close calls not being called correctly, but there were some very obvious onsides that were called off, where defenders were 15 feet at times closer to the goal than the forward for Brazil. There was a lot of "Oh my! She must have been offsides, how can she be that far past the defender now that she has the ball and I really didn't see where she was when the ball was kicked."

The replays showed some awful calls that the US should be very thankful for.

Hope Solo played spectacular in goal. At times it was Hope vs. Brazil and she obviously showed some of her backstabbing teammates she should have been there last year. Wetzel needs to apologize for his ridiculous column. He is a yahoo when it comes to his analysis of the game.

The US team is definitely a team under Pia, as opposed to the self destructive Ryan. I have seen many a supposed great coach really choke and do stupid stuff in high pressure games but Ryan's decisions will forever be the apex on that dung heap.

18. Valknut

Valknut Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true, yet. She's fantastic but she is not yet in the discussion with Mia Hamm, Michelle Akers, Sun Wen and Hege Riise.

19. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    C'mon, they're all spetacular players, but it only takes a few minutes watching the sport to see that Marta is at least one step ahead of them. Anyway, I'm really proud of this squad. Half of the players in it are unemployed, some of them play futsal in men's clubs and there isn't even a professional women's league in Brazil for them.

20. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they show the game again on any channel? I forgot to TIVO it this morning :(

21. TheGreatFire

TheGreatFire New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Marta the greatest ever?

Not yet. She hasn't won anything.
    She's still young though (22?) and it's only a matter of time before the Brazilians start winning finals.

Marta still has a shot at 2-3 more World Cups and Olympics and will really need to win more than half of them to compare to someone like Mia Hamm who absolutely dominated the sport until the ripe old age of 32.

22. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I don't know if they'll be re-airing it or not, but you should be able to see the video online here:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/soccer/index.html

If they don't post it immediately, they should within the next hour or so.

23. Jarndyce

Jarndyce New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Tampa/St. Pete
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil was offsides all game long. You're completely wrong. The calls were correct. Male players would be called off also (ever seen Adebayor play?) This was a sensational game. The U.S. had a solid gameplan and it worked perfectly. Hope Solo is a goddess now. She backed up her big mouth with massive, massive saves on Marta and on those 99 Brazilian corner kicks...

I thought Brazil played "the long ball" way too much. They displayed enough control over the ball to slowly set stuff up. It seemed they were impatient with themselves. The U.S. defense was incredibly stout. Brazil had a massive advantage in the middle. Shannon Boxx really looked exposed out there. It was a smart move by Pia to bring Kai in and drop ARod back for defense help.

Poor Arod....damn I punched the wall when she tried that ridiculous chip over the Brazilian Keeper when she had a 1-on-1....should've won the game for the U.S. right then and there.

The US goal had some gorgous passing..I wish the highlight would show that buildup rather then simply the finish....

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Wait a minute. She played great. But her coach made a decision. Scurry had nothing to do with the decision. Hope then bad mouths Scurry and you call her teammates "backstabbing." WTF?

They shunned her for a short time (as they should) to show that "we are a team - you don't bad mouth any of us." Obviously by the effort shown today, the message has gotten through.

But her teammates did nothing wrong.

25. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of the offside calls against Brazil were wrong. That happens in every game.