Gold medal Game: multiple game [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Aug 6, 2012.

1. eNdemoc

eNdemoc Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    According to the document you linked me to, Morgan went in for Rodriguez at '56.

But the defense looked much better at possessing the ball that game than they did previously. Once the midfield was fixed and Morgan was up top, we looked like a completely different team.

I think we are a bit stronger because of Morgan. But what about the Japan game? Was the lack of a body on Ogiri's header both Rampone and Buehler's fault? In the men's game, the central defense goes to tall, strong bodies. Considering that Sauerbrunn is (apparently) no slower than Buehler, I don't see the disadvantage.

I'd like to see more footage of US players playing on their club teams, but I guess that won't be possible for the forseeable future.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

You are right, I was looking at a couple games and it was AROD.

It would be great to have a nice tall destroyer. But unfortunately, we don't have one. I don't see it in what I have seen of Becky, and I haven't yet seen it in Engen ( yes, I know she hasn't played any to speak of, but in WPS I was more impressed with her play roaming than in a disciplined back four. I think perhaps her experience in the 3-4-3 didn't help there.

Until we can entice somebody like a Gunnarsdottir or something, we will count positioning and team defense as our hallmarks. In lots of games it works well. We went five hours in a row this cup with 3 shots on goal. When it breaks down, people look stupid. But this isn't the men's game. Nobody plays total lockdown defense except the Japanese, and that sacrifice a lot of offense to do that.

3. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's interesting. Didn't realize the precise FIFA rules about how they determine an assist. Weird, though, that US Soccer doesn't follow these rules. If you followed their stats for the tournament, Rapinoe would have 4 assists.

4. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    BigSoccer's opinion of Carli Lloyd was formed well before the start of 2012.

I agree that Morgan has had an incredible year, and my hat's off to her. She's our most dynamic player right now. But the truth is, she took two ill-advised shots that flew well over the crossbar in the second half yesterday.

Carli Lloyd had a similar year in 2008, when she won US Soccer Athlete of the Year. But had she taken 2 shots like Morgan took yesterday, she'd have been toasted to a crisp here on BigSoccer. That's all I'm trying to say.

5. bissell

bissell Member

Apr 3, 2012
    that's because we consider the inconsistency of both players

6. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Lloyd has an unfortunate history of ill-advised shots. If Morgan starts doing it on a somewhat consistent basis, then she will get toasted and deservedly so. You can't look at it as an isolated event.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Carli takes those wild shots every game though, the contact just happened to be perfect in yesterday's final. And I'm certain Pia tells her to take those shots, every game.

But when she's on, she's on. And thank you for being on yesterday.

She's still not a 10, which has always been my biggest problem with her play, but is she to be blamed for playing out of position?

Her biggest asset has always been 2 dribbles around a defender, 3 HUGE strides followed by an incredibly hard shot. Her defensive positioning is usually off and her passes in the middle are usually flat. Pellurd and Anson pointed that out during the Olympics in ESPN articles. Pellurd predicted what would happen vs. Canada and was dead on.

Morgan's play was phenomenal through-out the tournament, she often had 2 or 3 defenders on her, allowing everyone else on the field to get open and forward. I thought Meghan had a great tournament as well, she comfort on the ball continues to get even better, she's very technical. I thought Heath finally showed why she deserved to be playing. Lloyd had some wonderful games as well. Abby is Abby, which isn't negative, but she's not going to win corners or beat anyone on the flank. Tony D said this is the best forward combination in US history...

I stated earlier, but i'm really excited to see the back line change and to see if Press can play on the wing or up top with Morgan..?

AND DON'T FORGET! the U20 WC is coming up! yay.

Gilmoy and Namdynamo repped this.
  8. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Carli Lloyd plays more like Lampard and Gerrard.

9. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Yet she wants to be Xavi or Pirlo.

10. sturf

sturf Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Against the best competition often times in soccer you need the great play, consistency be damned. Carli has delivered that now in two Olympic finals with key goals, and she has done it at other crucial times by hitting the field switching ball that springs open the counterattack. There are simply plays that Carli can make that many of the "consistent" alternatives are incapable of. She may not be someone's ideal, but that shouldn't stop people from being able to acknowledge that she actually is on the whole the best central midfielder the US has had to offer these last several years. So get ready for another four years with Carli Lloyd in central midfield only this time being able to settle into the role she played in this tournament with the need to accommodate Shannon Box gone.

jackiesdad repped this.
  11. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California
    kool-aide, Morris20 and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  12. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    I'm glad Becky Sauerbrunn got to play. I hope Buehler is okay, of course, but if Sauerbrunn can calm a viewer like me down, she must have had a similar effect on her teammates.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IIRC, assists were unheard of in soccer not that many years ago outside the US. They were sometimes refered to as "making a goal" for someone else, but were never counted or tracked as stats. I suspect when some of the NASL guys went back home overseas they introduced the concept, but have no proof of this. Of course, NASL based them on Hockey.

This is why there is no universal scoring system for them.....

14. LANDONBUDDLE

LANDONBUDDLE Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do you guys think O'Hara and Heath will continue to be starters in the future or do you think they were only stopgaps for this year?

15. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Are you watching the same player I am? This is not a player who concentrates on spraying the ball around, she is a power player who likes to run at the defense and shoot. Lampard and Gerrard are really good analogies.

jackiesdad repped this.
  16. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I am not disagreeing. She is very much like Lampard or Gerrard, but from her Twitter (and her coach/trainer), she is a big fan of the possession-oriented/technically gifted central midfielders. If anyone ever wants a retweet from Lloyd, just tell her that she played like Xavi. I was merely pointing out that there is a discrepancy between her actual style and the one that she wishes or believes she plays like.

17. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe she could learn from Ballack. Ballack was a Box-Box at first as well but later learned to stay behind and use passes to connect the midfield. Lampard was similar this year, you can see his passes in the semi again Barcelona.

18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    agreed, but i think Pia wants her be the other way around and has tried to force her into that role.
    she's very effective as the power player and pretty average as the finesse tactical soccer player.
    but i think we all have pretty high standards

19. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    O'Hara may be the fittest player on the team moving forward. Her work rate and ability to get forward in the attack should keep her in the starting role for awhile. I think LeP will lose her starting spot when Krieger comes back.

As for Heath, I really don't know. She could really benefit from a year of play with a more technical club team in Europe. There are flashs of brillance with her. I think it depends on who's the coach moving forward. Pia loves her but not every coach feels the same.

jackiesdad repped this.
  20. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heath is a newbie and needs some time, but she displayed some brilliant passing in the Olys. With Heath and Rapinoe on the wings, other teams have major problems.

I've not been a big LeP fan, but it seems to me she had a very good Olympics. She was especially a problem for opponents when she moved up the right flank. People may disrespect her for past performances, but I don't think the Olys give a good reason to condemn her.

21. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Heath really be considered a newbie? She was playing at the last Olympics! If you meant as a starter, than I see what you mean.. but when I think of newbies on the team, I would think of Leroux, O'Hara, and Morgan before Heath.

I do agree though that she definitely showed signs of growth in this tournament.

22. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    She had many fewer times where she held the ball too long or dribbled into 3 defenders and lost it, then she used to have. In fact she had less of those moments than she had moments of hold up play that brought people forward or moved defenders opening space. Of course based on past history I winced when I saw what she was doing and expected her to lose the ball. She had quite a few of them in the defensive 3rd.

I thought she took a big step forward.

23. fhrocks2005

fhrocks2005 Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    I won't disagree that she did but I feel like she still has a considerable way to go. Also, it's hard to imagine that HAO will no longer be a regular starter on the team.

24. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Heath was better defensively in the Japan match than I'd seen her. More patient and more tenacious.

Wambach-Morgan is a tremendous forward pairing. Better (marginally) than Wambach-Hamm, which did some amazing things.

I can imagine a Ali - Becky - Rachel/Amy - Kelley backline, but ....

I've gotta assume that Pia will leave, and I will miss her. A magician. If she goes to Sweden, Sweden will be a contender in the next WC/Olys.

25. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Yea, she will end in Sweden, as she's stated...question is when...
    I'm very impressed with the NZ now Canadian's coach, despite his off field antics. The thing with Pia, is she's often out-coached (these olympics were better than previous two major tourneys), but our women refuse to loose, it's pretty impressive.

sitruc repped this.