Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Macksam, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who's broadcasting it in Canada?

2. Captain Canuck

Captain Canuck New Member

May 13, 2002
    Sportsnet. I actually saw a promo for the Canada vs. Jamaica game on Friday earlier today.

3. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Looks like some games are on GOL TV Canada. My cable box shows that they are showing the Costa Rica - El Salvador game live on Friday.

Hmm, and Sportsnet doesn't seem to be airing any of the July 4th games.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Awesome, will all games be tape delayed because of the Jays?

5. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002

The way it worked in 07 is that Sportsnet just showed Canada's games, Gol TV did the rest, so I expect we are getting the same this time.

6. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Is there a thread or link to the roster Canada is fielding for the Gold Cup?

Is anyone coming down to Columbus for the game next week? You fellas travel well for the league games but don't know what to expect for the National team. This is a friendly conversation since I don't have a horse in the race, at least not playing here in Columbus. Just going as a pure soccer fan and hoping for good games.

7. Captain Canuck

May 13, 2002
    There will be a small group of Canada fans in Columbus, but not nearly as many as have been there for TFC. People have already made the trip once this year, and putting the Canada game on a Tuesday night (as opposed to the TFC games that have been there on weekends) has diminished the potential crowd from Toronto (or elsewhere for that matter).

As for the Canada squad, I guess we might as well post it here:

http://www.canadasoccer.1- G- Greg Sutton | unattached / sans club
    2- D- Adrian Cann | DEN / Esbjerg fB
    3- D/M- Mike Klukowski | BEL / Club Brugge KV
    4- D- André Hainault | USA / Houston Dynamo
    6- M- Julian de Guzman | ESP / Deportivo La Coruna
    5- D/F- Kevin McKenna | GER / 1. FC Köln
    7- D/M- Paul Stalteri | GER / Borussia Mönchengladbach
    8- M- Marcel de Jong | NED / Roda JC
    9- F- Ali Gerba | CAN / Toronto FC
    10- M/F- Willi Johnson | USA / Real Salt Lake
    11- D- Richard Hastings | SCO / Inverness CT
    12- M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
    13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | DEN / F.C. København
    14- D- Dejan Jakovic | USA / DC United
    15- M/F- Josh Simpson | GER / FC Kaiserslautern
    16- F- Simeon Jackson | ENG / Gillingham FC
    17- D/M- Jaime Peters | ENG / Ipswich Town FC
    18- G- Joshua Wagenaar | ENG / Yeovil Town
    19- D/M- Kevin Harmse | CAN / Toronto FC
    20- M- Patrice Bernier | DEN / FC Nordsjælland
    21- M- Chris Pozniak | SCO / Dundee FC
    22- G- Kenny Stamatopoulos | NOR / FC Lyn Oslo (on loan from Tromsø I.L.)
    23- F- Charles Gbeke | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

I understand that the last 3 players listed are on the "taxi" squad only to be called up in case of injury, though I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. Big names missing include De Rosario, Serioux, Hirshfeld, Begovic (who is rumoured to be jumping ship to Bosnia now that FIFA's rules have changed) Imhof, Friend, Hume (the latter two injured). Not exactly a B squad but not a full strength squad either.

8. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's definitely a younger squad this go around. It'll be interesting to see how it goes

9. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Sportsnet Pacific is not showing any of the games, being the only region to completely ignore it in favor of some shitty Seattle vs Boston baseball game. Covering US baseball where the local region does not even have a team over a continental competition for Canada's team... the television coverage here is disgraceful.

Any other channels airing it around the BC region? Guess I'll have to stream it like most games. Soon I'm cancelling my cable subscription altogether since 99% of its programming here is junk (if not for CBC's pledge to cover all of the world cup in HD, I would've done so long ago).

10. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    For what it is worth, I wish they would stop covering US baseball in the US. :)

11. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Has there been any reason given for De Rosario, Serioux and Hirshfeld not taking part?

12. jattcity

jattcity Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Why is there a Gold Cup every 2 years?

13. Citizen Ted

Citizen Ted Member

May 17, 2007
    Toronto
    Just that DeRo and Serioux declined the invitation and Hirschfeld is trying to win the starting keeper job at Energie Cottbus.

14. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Both the Cable and Sat here carry all 4 Sportsnet channels (though only Ontario in HD). Isn't that an option there?

15. Macksam

Macksam Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Brampton, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Cable or digital cable?

16. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Sigh. If I was in charge of the men's national teams, I would have told DeRo and Serioux that they are in effect retiring from international soccer.

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Game is being broadcasted on Sportsnet here tonight for Canada vs Jamaica at 5 PM.

Also, De Rosario is listed on the team sheet? You guys sure hes not playing.

18. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Where's the game sheet? He wasn't listed on the CSA's website.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He was listed on the CONCACAF tournament website as one of the players called up.

20. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    I'd trust the CSA website more than that. It looks like the CONCACAF website just grabbed a big wide list of Canadian internationals, and we know that many of them are not in LA today.

21. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm guessing that DeRo and Serioux have made that decision already. After what happened in WC qualifying they've been soured on the whole thing.

22. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They'll be back. Let's be honest. It's not like this is the World Cup. If they're healthy and still playing well IN THREE YEARS (sigh) :( perhaps we'll see them both with the Maple Leaf on their shirts once again.

23. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Serious needs a break too. He's been playing injured for a good chunk of this season.

24. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They are probably using the preliminary rosters that each country had to submit a month or so back.

25. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    A fine start, even though we were a little wonky at the beginning of the game, I think we were the better team overall, though Jamaica came on strong in the end.

Great goal, I really like Klukowski, I've seen him make a number of good feeds. Gerba played it well, looking forward to having him at TFC.