Gold Cup USA-CR Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by United20, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Phuqinu

Phuqinu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Boulder, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.. Armas is one of the best options for counter attacks that a US opponent has... Sanneh is the best option for a 12th attacker. That guy makes some great defensive plays, then follows them with a "hey Keller, want anohter save for the stat sheet?"

2. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    He'd start and be the best player on the field by leaps and bounds. Period. STFU sockpuppet.

3. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County
    The only players CR bothered to beat up were Heydude, Dempsey and Dolo. The other seven field players were considered too inferior to bother with. Every team the U.S. plays tells us the same thing. Always watch who is being given much space, then get him off the team.

4. J_Ibarra

J_Ibarra BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 5, 2005

Please!! Against Costa Rica!? If they are any good, they should have dominated the game. Costa Rica should not have any chance at all!! :mad:

Just imagine, if they were playing against Argentina?

We need more new blood, I had enough with Sanneh, Armas and Olsen.
    While Conrad is Inexperience. Noonan is just useless!

GO USA!

5. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    .......?????............

Am I that drunk??? I thought he was by far our best player? ...and so did the guys that were calling the game in Spanish

6. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    The US has to get its act together if they want to beat Mexico

7. sabretarheel

sabretarheel Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    All in all the result seems about right. Niether team dominated the game, though we probably had a significant edge in possession and "chances," but there were maybe 3 chances total that were truly dangerous. A couple of quick hits:

1) We obviously didn't have anything close to having our best team out on the pitch, but that said, we need to not just have finishing practice, but let's-not-strike-it-directly-at-the-keeper practice. Granted, CR's keeper put himself in good position more often that not, but the few shots on goal that we had were almost always directly at him. Even most mediocre keepers make those saves. That's making it too easy on them.

2) That backline simply isn't going to cut it. Categorically. Sanneh simply doesn't have the speed, body positioning, and has seemingly lost his field awareness as well. Mixed reviews on Conrad. He certainly wasn't great, or even good. There were several times where he and Kasey didn't seem to be on the same page. That said, he didn't give anything up, no howlers, etc., but doesn't seem to be national team material. Hejduk was his usual self. His pace is useful in the middle third, and he plays with a lot of heart...but he still goes all or nothing on defense, and contributes little when he presses forward, though not for lack of effort.

3) Olsen is not national team material. He doesn't have the pace anymore, and certainly doesn't possess the on-the-ball skills. O'Brien's rust was visible, mostly on the two chances around goal that he couldn't seem to figure out. But otherwise his touch, calmness on the ball, and awareness were certainly a level above near everyone else on the pitch. Cherundolo was solid, per usual, though his crosses weren't quite as on target as usual. Ralston was Ralston, plays within himself, and contributes some nice balls in, but he's reached the peak of his talents, and he may make the team only for lack of a better option. I don't think Armas showed that he's still capable of productive play at this level either. He's still adept at winning balls, but he seemed as often as not to turn them over as soon as he did so. And there is no offensive aspect to his game. Period.

4) Noonan put in a workmanlike effort, but didn't seem to do much in terms of solidifying his spot on the team. He's an adequate striker, but not someone who can use exceptional speed, quickness, creativity, or ball skill to put himself in position to get a good shot on. I don't know that I'd completely write him off yet, but I think he may just have shown Bruce all he needs to see. Dempsey played better than most. He's was certainly more creative than the rest of the offensive players out there combined, though he seems to lack a bit of understanding of when to release the ball to a teammate and when to take it in alone. That said, he does have the ability to get his shot off and put himself in dangerous positions. I still like him better coming up from midfield.

5) Beasley and Donovan showed more on the ball skill than those they replaced, but didn't do much to threaten goal in their limited time. Donovan in particular was nearly invisible until the final 2-3 minutes. Wolff was as he nearly always his, fast, and annoying to opposing defenses, but ultimately his poor passing/finishing in the box renders him a non-factor.

The team just didn't look settled tonight, particularly in the early going. I don't know if it was an overwhelming desire to impress, or just a serious case of the butterflies or what, but everyone seemed much too jittery and impatient. And play reflected it, ping pong style. The middle portion of the game was better in terms of flow and buildup, but efficiency in the final third for either team was abysmal. I was a little disappointed to see Wolff come on and not Quaranta, but it's not like it was for many minutes anyway. Overall, Dempsey I thought, played pretty well, as did O'Brien. Now if they could just finish their chances.....Otherwise, no one else on the team impressed, and a few probably sealed their fate in terms of future call-ups.

8. Beethovieff

Beethovieff New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about these selections unless Arena plays the scrubs in the knockout rounds. I haven't seen anyone mention that the team just played 3 matches in 6 days. I trust Bruce will realize most of the guys from the Cuba and CR match don't belong on the pitch at '06, but they can hold down the score against CONCACAF foes.

9. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you but going into the match and looking at a midfield of Ralston, JOB, Olsen and Armas, JOB better damn well be our best midfielder...

10. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Dempsey was by far our best player. Not only was he dangerous, but he busted his ass and contested everything. However, he's only one man and there was really no one for him to create for besides Noonan. Who else can score in this lineup? A gimpy JOB, Armas, Olsen... We might as well have thrown out 3 more defenders on the field. Noonan and Dempsey were usually outnumbered 2 to 5 in the area on every cross Ralston sent in.

11. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Neither of those situations will occur.

12. Beethovieff

Beethovieff New Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone watch Ricardo Clark regularly? I've seen him do a few highlight reel plays lately, but is he still a D-mid? And were those just aberrations?

13. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Arena clearly did not want to risk key players getting their second card for the next round match. More likely than naught, Arena was particularly pissed off at Landon Donovan's yellow card in the last match.

So he gave a few players the chance at redemptoin and they kept a clean sheet in a woefully un-imaginative match. It would be hard to draw loads of conclusions for it becuase there wasn't a great deal at stake in the grand scheme of things... the USA with the draw would still finish first in the group and givin the weak Costa Rican selection they faced, I'm not surprised they got this result.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He may still be uncomfortable with his new teamates, but you're off the mark about his not creating opportunities. He never makes the safe backpass. Every touch is to get the ball closer to goal- no matter how many people are in his face.

15. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your right, but even though he was rusty you saw his natural insticts and skill that others in the midfield are not close to having

16. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like Dempsey playing that high. Bruce is trying to figure out if Clint is a No.10 or a No.8, or a box-to-box No.6. He's a no.8 in the Lampard/Ballack mold. Please do not play Dempsey so high again. I know the Casey injury put Bruce in a bind, but I didn't like it at all.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had the most dangerous chances yes...and I'm not surprised the Spanish announcers went all gaga over the fancy footwork. But he gave the ball away almost every time he touched it.

And maybe Bruce told him to play as an out and out striker, but he wasn't pressuring the ball up high, wasn't coming back to the midfield to help in the buildup...I take that back, in the 2nd half he did drop back more and it made a big difference in our ability to get the ball into the final third.

18. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Thought the game was a totally shapeless affair on both sides. Very few scoring chances and atrocious passing. Awful game. As has been said already Armas and Sanneh are past their prime they should not play for the US again. Thought Olsen wasnt bad tonight but dont really view him as Nats material. Conrad hasnt looked bad either, unfortunately for him he plays a position we are very deep at. JOB looks very rusty. Ralston was not good at all tonight. Noonan strikes me as maybe being a step slow for this level. Hasnt made much impact when he has been given the chance. Dempsey is better in the midfield than forward. LD and DMB made little impact when they came on as subs. Not much to be positive about from this one.

19. United20

United20 Member

Feb 26, 2001
    New York City
    Beginning with the keeper - Keller is Keller...nuff said.

The defense with Conrad and Sanneh - they were not spectacular, but a clean sheet hard to complain. These two are 3rd stringers. Hejduk is a 3rd stringer, but I would like to see Spector come through this year at LB and challenge Boca and Hejduk. Stevie Cherundolo has been solid for this whole year and is cementing that RB his. Although, after him it becomes thin.

Ralston just doesn't have enough. He is a damn good MLSer, and plays hard...just not international quality. Olsen actually showed his old self today. Who knows, maybe he is regaining himself...keep him around for a few more. Armas, uugh... this has become the new Agoos, and I couldn't stand his game either. Put Dempsey there to keep his energy and bring offense to the DMid position. There is the Dempsey solution. Johnny Boy is coming around, but he is months away. BA needs to keep givng O'Brien more PT, but with that goes his glass body.

Noonan has just lacked finishing ala Razov. The clock is running out on this guy, but I will say this - he brings a cool and inventive play missing dearly from this team. If he would find the net, then he would be a sure thing. Clint's not a forward people - he's just not. Get over it. Dempsey belongs in the midfield and on the field. His intensity is amazing, he attacks on a team with such few scoring factors, and he is willing to mix it up defensively.

As for the subs - DMB and Donovan...everyone knows their status as a lock for starters. Wolff is plain useless and brings nothing to the game. His amount of appreances and lack of scoring are pathetic. What has become of the USC Gamecocks duo of 2002?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For real. It's like these posters think they're robots that just need maintenance between matches to perform at 100%.

21. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that supposed to be a good thing? Hey, I'm all for aggressive, but turning to goal and shooting every time you get the ball is just dumb soccer.

22. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Other than LD, Beas, Dempsey, Gooch, Cherundolo and JOB who aren't scrubs? This is a squad so vomitous and vile it's inexcuseable.

23. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

That's because he spent the day before playing professionally.

You're a moron.

24. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    A few obsevations from the game:

1. I finally understand what the term two-way midfielder means. Olsen and Armas were terrific on defense all night. They harrassed Costa Ricas central midfield to the point where they almost were completely taken out of the game. But then when they get the ball at their feet, they look lost. No composure. They are one-way midfielders. Defensive. Period.

2. With a little more experience and a tad more strength on the ball, Dempsey becomes that box-to-box midfielder that we need. He's getting better by the minute.

3. Noonan is a great complimentary player...however, you surround him with 2nd teamers and he becomes...a 2nd teamer.

4. Cherundolo starts in the Bundesliga for a reason. His first touch is excellent, his pace is pretty decent, and he makes excellent decisions. MOM in my mind.

5. Keller is the Fonz. So cool.

6. Hejduk will be in Germany. He might be our fastest player.

7. I miss Eddie Lewis as much as I miss Eddie Johnson.

That's about it...also...how many times did Costa Rican players come clattering in on bad late challenges and then the Ref played advantage and let it go. At least 5 bad challenges on Dempsey alone. Pull a card out of your pocket! Also I was hoping Olsen or Armas would have laid some leather to Sequeria when he came on...not sure what the Costa Rican manager was thinking there.

25. Alkyoneus Asleep

Jun 12, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is it just me, or do Noonan, Ralston, and Olsen look like they could just as easily be working at Staples as opposed to members of the USMNT? They don't exactly inspire me with confidence in their athleticism. Just an observation, no doubt influenced from flipping to the MLB all-star game every now and then.