Gold Cup roster -- any DCU players?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Jun 16, 2009.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You figure that Bradley keeps Adu, Altidore, Beasely and maybe Pearce on the roster. Anyone from DCU figure for a "look see?"

My guess would be Tino if anyone. He is a former Nat pool player and is playing at a high and intelligent level right now.

Of the other "possibles". Namoff is too old for Bradley to consider; Pontius might be in the pool after 2010, the same with Wallace (if he chooses US over Costa Rica).

Don't believe there are any others in the mix.

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Jakovic for Canada is almost a certainty.

3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Completely forgot about that. You're right, that's one down at least, hope Janicki is ready.

4. D.C. UNITED

D.C. UNITED Member

Dec 28, 2005
    even though we'll need these players, I'd like to see BB call up Pontius and Quaranta

5. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't want to see him call up any of our players who would have NO CHANCE to make the WC roster regardless of anything they do in the Gold Cup. That immediately strikes Pontius off the list. Quaranta would have an outside chance if he ripped everyone a new one at the Gold Cup, owing to the fact that he has been in the national team mix before. Pontius could score 5 goals and get 3 assists at the tournament, and it wouldn't matter. So I'd rather see him with DC.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not gonna happen. Bradley will use the Copa d'Oro as a very early test for guys he's thinking of taking to S. Africa. Quaranta is very unlikey, and Pontius is about a billion to one.

7. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tino has been tearing up the league for the past year and a half. What else does he have to do to get the attention of Bob Bradley?
    The way he's playing now, Tino should be a regular call up no questions asked.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Please don't. I worry that Skeletor would ruin their form.

9. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wait, I thought I replied to this yesterday...

Gold Cup has always been viewed as a tournament for fringe/new players

Confederations Cup was the World Cup tuneup (fat lotta good there...)

Of course, who knows who'll be doing the calling up

10. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. I don't want any DC players near the US team until Bradley is fired.

11. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Agreed. Add to that until DMB is no longer a part of the team.

12. RCadieux

RCadieux New Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jakovic is on the preliminary Canada roster.

Canada roster

Nobody else from DC United on any of the rosters.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Roster

While I'm glad that none of the DC players are going to be tainted by Robo-Bob, I think that the roster proves that the guy is an idiot.

Gaven, Clark, Marshall, Mastroeni, Arnaud, Cooper are all on the list, but Quaranta and Pontius are not? Gimme a break.

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Club before country.

15. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    We get to play the Crew without Gaven, Rogers, and Marshall? And the Rapids without Mastroeni and Casey? I'm not going to complain about that.

Some of the names were a bit odd, but the absence of Donovan and Bradley is more alarming. It seems to be a list of all the European and MLS players who didn't go to South Africa. In any event, I have a hard time believing that that is the final roster.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the preliminary one USSF had to submit to CONCACAF before yesterday's deadline.

The final roster will consist of 23 players selected from that list.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaranta has to be one of the top 5 guys in the league right now...unbelievable he's not getting a look

18. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I love Tino, I really do. But I'm not sure he's one of the top 5 guys on United.

19. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that standard procedure is not to include players on both the Confed and Gold Cup rosters. These guys need a break sometime, and the MLS players do have a day job. Should be no surprise that there little or no overlap.

This is interesting, because he is tied for the league lead in assists?, or pretty close. He's playing well, no doubt. However, I'm not even sure he's playing as well now as the last time he got capped. Some could argue that he got a good chance at it and has to be more consistent to get another shot.

I would have liked to see him called him for this tournament, but I can see some reasons why not.

I don't understand why not him, and some of those others instead.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    name me 3 guys on United playing better right now and I'll tell you why you're wrong. Don't even bother with Pontius, because Q is the one setting him up all over the place, including a bunch of golden opportunities he's wasted.

The whole field is tilting toward Santino right now and the amount of work and influence on the game coming from his spot is amazing.

21. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. He's one of the top 3 guys on United (Quaranta, Pontius, Namoff).

22. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy couldn't cut it for RBNY but he gets to play for the Nats!?!

23. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008
    And this is one of the most profound reasons Bradley is a failure of a coach at the national level. He's playing too much the role of Youth Coach instead of the men's national team. Too old at what 27?!? Unless he forgot something, the World Cup starts next year at which time Namoff will be 28, hardly too old. Playing untested kids is for the beginning of qualifying NOT a year before it begins.

These same kids have been given chance after chance and have mostly failed with the exception of Bradley, Feilhaber, Spector and Altidore in my opinion. There are others like Adu who are on the brink of performing but not getting a chance when he's obviously needed. And then you get players like Davis who is destined to be a starter but clearly isn't ready.

Namoff is the perfect player to bring. He's mature, intelligent and can play RB and CB not world class but good enough and better than some of the dung being played.

We don't have the depth of world class skill (if any) to throw out the perfect team but if we're to play with kids who are still maturing we need players out there who can lead and wont get themselves in any unwanted trouble.

Case in point being the last game. Two central midfielders under the age of 23 against a world class team, Brazil, who teams with world class players struggle. They can't control the game and get frustrated. A straight red card on an absolutely stupid childish tackle. And if you ask me it's no question the two players who have been straight red carded have come from the MLS. Bradley has held his emotions in when he's been chasing the ball around for 90 minutes because he's played in Europe and has had better guidance than the MLS and its coaches. There's a huge difference in 98% of a MLS player and a European player playing in most leagues. Their maturity is far superior than their counterparts because they understand the game. The MLS for all it's done so far is still miles behind the techniqual teams of Europe and more attune to the bullish of the MLS. Someone in another thread said perhaps it's not the ref's fault but the MLS' for allowing the league to be a lot rougher than most leagues...

Age is never a factor a year before a World Cup. It comes down to who's playing the best soccer at the time and a third of the team brought to the Confed Cup have done little to earn that spot. It's either hyped European or MLS kids or "proven" vets of the game. The likes of Beasley should never be allowed near the team again and unless Bradley can solve Dempsey's in ability to dig in when he plays for his country he needs to be dropped as well. I'd rather have a running, ball busting Adu on the side than a whinging stand around player like Dempsey.

24. Rjbatzler

Rjbatzler Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namoff recently turned 30.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Goff is saying Q is on the roster now. Awaiting confirmation.