Gold Cup Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Group A: Grenada, Honduras, Haiti, USA

Referees [+ 5 Assistant Referees and 1 reserve AR]

Raymond Bogle (JAM) - reserve
    Courtney Campbell (JAM)
    Walter Lopez (GUA)
    Roberto Moreno (PAN)
    Walter Quesada (CRC)
    Marco Rodriguez (MEX)

Group B: Canada, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Jamaica

Benito Archundia (MEX)
    Roberto Garcia (MEX)
    Geoffrey Hospedales (TRI)
    Jair Marrufo (USA)
    Baldomero Toledo (USA) - reserve
    Terry Vaughn (USA)

Group C: Guadeloupe, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama

Joel Aguilar (SLV)
    Neal Brizan (TRI)
    Oscar Moncada (HON) - reserve
    Jose Pineda (HON)
    Paul Ward (CAN)
    Enrico Wijngaarde (SUR)

Don't quite understand why you have to have 15 referees, but there you go. :p

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the 15 is overkill. But this is CONCACAF where the best (in play and in refereeing) are usually from the (relatively) "bigger" soccer nations. Yet politically, the small still have influence, and they need to exert it when they can. Getting 15 referees to do 18 matches is some serious overkill (I think WC98 was 34 refs for 48 first round matches, and some thought that was bad). And if you're going to bring 3 reserves, why not just let them have a game and give everyone a first round match?!

Also, only 5 assistants? So it seems like each referee will have one assistant tied to him and then they'll be crossover? I guess it works in places like Vaughn/Marrufo, but I'm not really sure what the point of it is.

No real surprises here, except for Lopez. I imagine he's the guy in the shadow of Batres and he gets the promotion in his absence. I also guess Bogle is the up-and-coming replacement for Campbell.

Let me tell you, I'm shocked--shocked, I say!--that there's a second T&T referee at this tournament. I mean, how blatant can the favoritism be?!?! This Hopesdales guy gets a spot over referees like Toledo, Salazar, DePiero, etc. who have done Hex matches. It's unreal. And the fact that there are three Mexican officials is deserved, but I wasn't sure Garcia would be the "third." This also seems to show, at least in the eyes of CONCACAF, that USSF officials are ranked in the order of: Marrufo, Vaughn, Toledo, Salazar. I say "seems" though, because who really knows with CONCACAF?

Again no surprises here. The only thing to note is that Ward is now fully Canada's top official on the world stage. No DePiero, no Navarro, and no Petrescu.

Seeing this appointments and thinking about things now, it dawns on me that because there might be a US/Mexico Gold Cup encounter, the assignment for the August WC qualifier is greatly affected. Aguilar seemed like the nature option for August, but if he slips into that game for the Gold Cup, things would be changed. Look at the above list and eliminate the MEX and USA refs--anyone see a name they want handling the WCQ in August? Pineda, maybe? The talent pool in CONCACAF is so shallow when you eliminate Batres and the Mexican refs.

As for a hypothetical final match, if Mexico isn't in it, I'm sure it's Archundia's. If the US falters, maybe Marrufo has a shot. Otherwise, I'm guessing it's a race between Aguilar, Quesada, and Brizan.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quesada also has no place on this list. He's terrible. Neal Brizan has actually improved. I was very surprised to see the improvement in his foul recognition.

4. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    I wonder if there's connection between the number of refs and the number of tournament sites (also overkill)--with more refs maybe you don't have to fly them around as much.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely true, but they still have 5 refs for every 6 group games, which means one referee will have two matches (and, inherently, will see the same team twice in the first round) while all other refs will have just one game in the first round. If seeing the same team twice isn't a problem, they could actually do it with 3 refs per group, though so as to insulate against controversy or injury, 4 per group would also work.

If it's cost-prohibitive to fly referees around the US, it certainly can't be worth it to fly in an extra 3-6 referees on international flights for one game each.

6. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Perhaps Salazar isn't on the list because he is going to the U20 or U17 World Cup? (I don't know, I'm just wondering). Toldeo went to Copa America a few years back. Frankly, I'd rather do U20 WC games than Gold Cup games. Especially in a qualifying year where the powers (Mexico, USA, Costa Rica) will likely be bringing B teams.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the same system that was used in 2005 is being used this year--namely that, for the four major FIFA men's tournaments (U20, U17, Confed, CWC), only World Cup candidates are attending. If that's true, Salazar wouldn't be going to one of those.

8. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    At the rate Marrufo is going, he's not going to be selected for South Africa anyway. First the Blanco shirt incident, now this week USSF crucifies him in the Week in Review for giving a water break in the RSL-Houston match last week.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does that have to do with Salazar?

I also doubt a USSF Weekly Review is going to weigh into FIFA's decision-making process more than, say, Marrufo's Olympic performance.

Finally, if Batres fights back from injury, then we're back to the point where it seemed like there was never really a spot for Marrufo this time, anyway.

10. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Because Marrufo is the US guy nominated for SA, and you pointed out that the WC referees usually work the U17, U20, Confed, and CWC tournaments. I recall Stott working the U20 tournament in Holland, but I checked, and USSF did not provide a referee to Korea 2007 for the U17s. None of the officials in Korea were WC candidates.

And last time I checked, giving a water break in a pro match was considered a big no-no... and I didn't have to read the WiR to know that.

I also think FIFA is wary of including an official who has been suspended for unethical behavior by his domestic league, and they probably pay a bit closer attention to what he does after he comes back from the suspension.

If Marrufo is really looking for a spot alongside Batres, Archundia, & Rodriguez, he should be zoned in right now. Not doing thing like taking players' shirts as souvenirs or giving water breaks to pro players 22 minutes into a match.

FIFA may not spend a lot of time researching the candidates' domestic performances, which means if you keep your head down and do your job, it's easier for them to focus on only the performances in their tournaments. But doing things that paint you in a negative light and get lit up in the mass media... just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do when you're gunning for the World Cup.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's not what I said. I said 2009 will likely follow 2005. I didn't mention 2007, at all. And I didn't mention it because, at that point, there were no WC candidates. I also didn't say "usually"--this process only began for the first time in 2005.

Ok, but still not sure how this issue gets worked into this thread or a side discussion about Salazar.

Ok. Same response from me. I don't disagree with any of this, but I fail to see the Marrufo-to-Salazar connection here. Your initial statement was that Salazar might be at the U20s. When I pointed our that's unlikely, you segued into how Marrufo likely isn't going to the WC, "anyway." Unless you're meaning to imply that Salazar would be usurping him as the WC candidate (which there's no evidence of), I just don't see the two issues being connected at all.

12. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    You're right, my mistake. The 06 candidates did work the 2005 U20s and U17s.

Never mind.

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Why is this not surprising?...:rolleyes:

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little late, but the first set of assignments:

Jamaica : Canada - VAUGHN (USA)
    Costa Rica : El Salvador - ARCHUNDIA (MEX)

Honduras : Haiti - RODRIGUEZ (MEX)
    Grenada : USA - LOPEZ (GUA)

Panama : Guadelopue - BRIZAN (TTO)
    Nicaragua : Mexico - WARD (CAN)

Few interesting notes. First, Morgante ran Vaughn's line along with a Cuban AR (Marrufo was 4th). Second, Vergara is working with Ward, his countrymate--and not Archundia who he was paired with for the Confed Cup and the last World Cup. The AR pairings will be odd since there are so few of them compared to the normal number that would be attached to 15 referees.

The US gets the somewhat "unknown" referee, who almost clearly seems to be a replacement for Batres. I imagine this also means Marrufo gets the Costa Rica - Canada game (as Canada has a poor history with Archundia and Costa Rica has issues with Vaughn). I also imagine the US gets Moreno and Quesada in its two remaining games--just not sure which ref on which match.

15. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001
    He did ok.

The play by play on the Gold Cups web site is pretty funny on the yellow to Evans.

63' B. Evans gets yellow.
    Comically, Evans the substitute is booked for coming on too early
    62' Corner to USA, it goes through a crowd of players and out of play.
    61' S. Cherundolo is substituted out.
    B. Evans is substituted in.

http://www.goldcup.org/page/GoldCup/TeamRelatedLink/0,,12802~2281~3,00.html

16. obewan

obewan New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    NC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree...there were a couple of questionable non-calls in the midfield, but I felt he was fair. He made the correct call on the Davies PK plea, as well.

Not related to our game but related to the Gold Cup - how did you all feel about the PK awarded in the Mexico/Nicaragua game today?

17. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    You got 1/3 for your predictions MassRef!

Group stage appointments:

Group 1

Canada vs. Jamaica [played 1-0] - Terry Vaughn (USA)
    Costa Rica vs. El Salvador [1-2] - Benito Archundia (MEX)

Jamaica vs. Costa Rica - Jair Marrufo (USA)
    El Salvador vs. Canada - Roberto García (MEX)

Costa Rica vs. Canada - Terry Vaughn (USA)
    El Salvador vs. Jamaica - Geoffrey Hospedales (TRI)

Group 2

Honduras vs. Haiti [1-0] - Marco Rodríguez (MEX)
    Grenada vs. USA [0-4] - Walter Lopez (GUA)

Haití vs. Grenada - Roberto Moreno (PAN)
    USA vs. Honduras - Courtney Campbell (JAM)

USA vs. Haití - Walter Quesada (CRC)
    Honduras vs. Grenada - Marco Rodríguez (MEX)

Group C

Panamá vs. Guadalupe [1-2] - Neal Brizan (TRI)
    Nicaragua vs. México [0-2] - Paul Ward (CAN)

Guadalupe vs. Nicaragua - Oscar Moncada (HON)
    México vs. Panamá - Joel Aguilar (SLV)

Panama vs. Nicaragua - Jose Pineda (HON)
    México vs. Guadalupe - Neal Brizan (TRI)

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Vaughn has that Costa Rica match. I guess there's a chance that it won't affect progression, but it's still a pretty admirable move by CONCACAF to put him there in what will surely be the face of protests from Costa Rica.

19. gold4278

gold4278 Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think when watching at regular speed, it looks like a PK. In slow motion it is obviously not a PK. I think many top level refs would have made a no call on that one. I thought that the Nicaragua GK should have been sent off for giving the AR a hand gesture that means enough to be sent off after what he thought was a no call, but ended up being a yellow on the Mexican player after running into him. Does anyone else have any thoughts on if the PK should have been DOGSOF? There was other defenders close, but still a step behind and if he isn't "fouled", then he has an obvious goal scoring opp.

20. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    The officiating in the USA - Honduras game is exactly what is wrong with soccer. Repeatedly, contact that resulted in non-calls in that game would have been red cards in South Africa two weeks ago. Particularly in the first half.

21. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    A truly entertaining game is taking place between Canada and Costa Rica. It's now 2-2 in the 35th minute.

There are too many fouls right now though and Vaughn has yet to use his cards. I hope that he does soon because this could turn out to be a fantastic display of skill and a wonderful example of what the game should be, if he can get the players to keep the fouling to a minimum.

22. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    BTW has there been any discussion about the Puma shirts that the referees are wearing in this tournament? I noticed that the WPS referees are also wearing that brand.

Obviously a sponsorship thing, but does anyone have any thoughts?

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd conclusion, given the initial statement.

Other than the cautions he gave in the 15th minute and 22nd minute, this statement would be accurate.

24. OhRef

OhRef Member

May 22, 2006
    22' A. Hainault gets yellow.

15' G. Segares gets yellow.

From Golcup.org live scoring.
    Perhaps MrRC was on "water" break when they were issued. Although PV would more than likely disagree with both of them :D

25. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Great free kicks, some excellent passing, and a couple of nicely finished goals stood out as positives to me, while the string of fouls about every 20 seconds by both teams from when Canada led 2-1 until Costa Rica tied the match at 2 detracted from the play and flow of the game. Fortunately, the senseless fouling seemed to stop for the final ten minutes of the 1st half, but unfortunately the guys are right back at it in the opening minutes of the 2nd half.

Really? I might have missed one caution when I had to start dinner, but I'd be surprised to learn that I missed two. Do you have a website for play-by-play commentary?