Gold Cup ratings

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by anderson, Jul 14, 2005.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Concacaf site, Gold Cup draws high TV ratings in USA.
    Weren't most live games on closed circuit last time? I just don't recall, but, if so, I suppose that would explain the ratings increases. If not, any thoughts?

Any implications for SUM?

2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Bigger than the Super Bowl? Very hard to believe.

Thx,

Jay!

3. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Only numbers I could find (up until 2003) prove it is probably alot closer than I thought. But I still think the Super Bowl had to beat 2.7M hispanic adults 18-49.

Super Bowl Ratings Among Hispanics (2003-1999, decending)

Super Bowl
    Rating
    Avg. Number Of Homes (000)
    Avg. Number Of Viewers (000)

XXXVII

XXXVI

XXXV

XXXIV

XXXIII

Source: Nielsen Hispanic Television Index

Thx,

Jay!

4. Per today's LAT sports section "what LA is watching" or somesuch, most of the GC matches were yawned at in LA; the Mexico/Guatemala match being a huge exception. South Africa/Jamaica also did pretty well. US matches aren't doing that well.

I understand there are political issues and Concacaf owns the games and k'ed with whoever to show them in Spanish only, but next time around, USSoccer or Fox or SOMEONE has to get involved to ensure the games are shown in English and properly promoted.

Not running MLS matches in direct conflict would also be nice, but I've been banging that drum for a while and getting nowhere. Of course, US vs. Costa Rica in Spanish is also a tough sell when it conflicts with baseball's All-Star game.

I am laboring under the assumption that everyone involved in soccer in the US wants soccer to be watched and attended more in the US. Perhaps that is fanciful.

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be dead wrong, but I swear I recall recent editions of the Gold Cup being all or mostly on closed circuit TV, with only tape-delay broadcasts a few days later. At least having all the games on live TV, even if only in Spanish, is a step forward. Given SUM's involvement now with the Gold Cup, I suspect we'll see efforts to raise this tourney's profile.

Btw, here are the numbers for Houston of the Mexico v Jamaica game that was played here (emphases added):

Mexico soccer telecasts a gold mine for Ch. 45, David Barron, Houston Chronicle

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    The US-Costa Rica match was close-captioned in English :eek:

Thx,

Jay!

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone here use it? I wonder if they just attempted to translate Ramirez, which would probably be something of a challenge. Of course, if you just make sure to use lots of exclamation points, you'd probably get most of what he's saying. ;)

8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I have it on now for the US-Jam game. Alot of the translation is straight word-for-word what they are saying. So it looks funny sometimes to read what they type.

Thx,

Jay!

9. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Have they ever considered reversing the SAP?

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do recall a PPV for them and I paid for at least one of the games.

11. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I watched the SAP too and those guys are very funny - highly entertaining :)

12. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Seriously, what about reverse SAP?

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen the national numbers, but here's how the Mexico x Colombia game did in Houston at least:
    TV/ Radio Notebook, Houston Chronicle