Gold Cup Production Quality

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by timmy17, Jul 8, 2005.

1. timmy17

timmy17 New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Is it just me, or was the visual (I don't speak Spanish) production quality far superior to what we get on ESPN. I assume it's a combination of more cameras and more experienced producers, but there was also something about the quality/clarity of the images. Since I assume the Gold Cup does not have a huge TV budget (mostly from Mexico?), how is this done?

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

I actually found that they interfered with the action more than I liked (lingering close-ups, replays of replays). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either.

The production is Univision's. They do a solid job.

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i agree with you. way too long on replays and audience shots.

and their on-screen graphics are a bit obnoxious with the arm that swings out and the lens flare that blocks the action just to bring up a box that is way too bit that says mexico will be playing jamaica tomorrow. and the annoying sound effect on the goals is pointless

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Pablo Ramirez's shrieking? :D

I also think they get a little carried away with the replays, but otherwise pretty good overall. FWIW, my impression of MFL telecasts on the Univision nets has been that they tend to give a lot more replays than you'd expect to see on say, ABC/ESPN or the EPL telecasts on FSC. Maybe it's just a preference of the MFL audience. Dunno.

5. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    no, the announcer is fine. i like hearing "gooool goooool goooool gooool" or "golaaaaaaazo golaaaaaaazo golaaaaaaazo"

it's the strange metal on metal sound in the background i was commenting on.

6. timmy17

timmy17 New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    I agree that that preview-graphic-refresh thing is weird, as is the slot machine sound effect. I like to multi-angle replays, though. There are few enough goals that we should savor them.

7. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    i notice the same preference on spanish games shown on goltv. it's not so bad.

8. zorak303

zorak303 New Member

Jun 4, 2002
    New Orleans
    i could not stand the AGONIZINGLY LONG REPLAYS while important midfield battles/attacking set-ups were going on.

i screamed at the TV many times.

horrible job by the guys in the production booth.

9. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was my favorite part about watching the Gold Cup:

Anytime a 'Golaso' was scored, Pablo Ramirez would say this:

Golaaaaaaaaaaaaaaso Golaaaaaaaaso Golasssssssso Golaso Golaso Golaso Asso! Asso! Asso!