Gold Cup other results thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If Honduras decides to pay like the guatemalans yes it will be a close game. If Honduras decides to play Mexico just like CR knaively did, they will get burned. I don't see how someone would say Mexico can get blown out when they have only conceded 2 goals this tournament.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That just means they are due for a whoopin.

If it were not for poor shooting by Pappa and the Chapines on counter attacks they could have been up 2-3 yesterday.

So it is not out of the realm of possibility. Is it likely? Not really. It should be a close game.

3. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And if it would of not been for the chapines playing 9 men behind the ball, Mexico would have blown ugh past them. But none of that matters. We saw a resilient team putting up a defensive fight or 85 minutes that eventually was worn down. The reality is that Mexico won't and hasn't been "blown out of the water"

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not yet. But it can happen.

As long as you have guys like Torrado and Talavera on the field it could happen.

5. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also depends on which Mexico team shows up. If Mexico plays like they did in the group stage, Mexico will coast. If they play like they did last night, Honduras could be the one playing in the Rose Bowl. Mexico was lucky Guatemala had really poor finishing last night, bad enough to let Mexico really take charge in the 2nd half.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know.............

Guatemala was bunkering, and Mexico had chance after chance after chance. Eventually they were going to break them down. That's what good teams do.

If Guatemala had better finishing, they could have scored two or three. But on another day Mexico scores 6 against that type of team also. ifs and buts are meaningless.

Honduras won't play like Guatemala did. That's not their style...........at all.

And frankly, I thought Honduras looked pretty ordinary yesterday. [Certainly much worse than Mexico did.] Costa Rica should have won that game. Saborio had the game on his foot, and he choked like a dog. If I was a Mexico fan, I would much rather face this Honduras team right now. They don't scare you, especially if they're not going to start Wilson Palacios. Seriously, if Wilson Palacios is fit enought to play............why would Honduras wait until the end of the first half to bring him on? That's like the US bringing on Landon Donovan in the 88th minute in a do-or-die game. If he's fit enough to play......start him.

7. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but did Honduras look better than guatemala (I didn't get the chance to catch the Honduras/Costa Rica game)? that is the key.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Not particularly. I thought they looked very ordinary. They should be flying home on a plane today. And would be if Saborio hadn't choked.

COmparing the two is hard, because Honduras won't play like Guatemala did. Guatemala got the early goal..........and then hung on for dear life. People can praise their effort, but they were eventually gonna cave. There's too much offensive talent on Mexico to bunker against them for 75 minutes.

You could argue that the game against Honduras will be easier for Mexico than the one against Guatemala. And that's because Honduras will actually try to play the game to win..............and will attack Mexico. That'll open up the field for Mexico's explosive offensive talent like Guardado (who's my "player of the tournament" so far.)

Who knows? We'll see. What I do know is the game will be played in front of 80k passionate Mexico fans. Previous Mexico teams seemed to wilt under the pressure in those types of games (see GC final 2007), but this version doesn't seem to.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Honduras looked much better then Guatemala for the plain and simple fact they have guys like Benston and Costly.

They will attack all day if they are both healthy.

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Torrado and any other Mexican keeper have been playing concacaf for a long time and we have never been blown out of the water by these minnows. Makes me question how long you have been following concacaf.

With the exception of CR who tried to go toe to toe with us right from the beginning have all played us defensively and always look bad see el Salvador match and hell even the Cuba match we came out fla footed.

The difference between ES and guate was that ES opened up and tried to attack kea ing lots of space and they got punished for it. Guat on the other hand continued to try and defend the 1-1 and not go for the win. Eventually they were broken down and all it ook was one good pass in the box to capitalize.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    A Mexican can't call Honduras a minnow or else it makes me question how long you have been watching your own darn team.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You could argue it but history says another story. Honduras plays toe-to-toe with Mexico outside of the Azteca. They are not afraid of them and they have a psychological edge.

Maybe Mexico changes history and wins big but I will believe it when I see it.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, Honduras also had a golden opportunity at the end of regular time in which a costa rican player essentially risked his body by throwing it in front a SURE goal.

I thought the game overall was pretty evenly matched. They are certainly better than Guatemala as far as quality is concerned.

14. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Oh really? They are a minnow, second err third to Mexico and the US

15-5-5 what history? Oh that's right mexico 48 goals against Honduras 20. Again what history?