Gold Cup other results thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    As promised...

Congratulations, Mexico! You somehow found a way to overcome the mighty Guatemalans!

2. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it or not, this style (though to a lesser degree) is how we've generally had success against Mexico. We stay organized defensively and generally try to hit them on the counterattack. It's nothing comparable to what Guatemala did tonight, but it's not open attacking soccer.

In '09, with our C or D team against Mexico (who also had a depleted side), once we went down 1-0, we did what you'd expect and subbed off a defensive midfielder (Logan Pause) for an attacking player. Mexico completely overran us starting at that point exactly. If we'd had a more experienced team, it wouldn't have been as bad (and really, we weren't going to win that game without going more offensive), but thinking that this more defensive style of play isn't often successful is pretty ignorant.

I meant paying attention to recent history in CONCACAF. That's how Guatemala is always going to play against the bigger teams. If they get an early lead, they'll bunker. Guaranteed. After Mexico took the lead, Guatemala looked better offensively for a few minutes, but their attack completely disappeared after that. (I'm pretty sure they were just completely worn out by that point.)

3. BigClos

BigClos Red Card

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    wtf, they attacked, when? they bunkered all game long. They talk all that sh1t that they ain't scared, yet they don't go toe to toe with us. poosays. I hope If we both reach the final, we both go toe to toe. can't stand this bunker sh1t anymore.

4. SerenPerro

SerenPerro Member

Dec 14, 2007
    San Anto Texas
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Belated Congratulations on over coming the all mighty guadalupe we all know how they are a top ten team when they play the US and u have trouble,yet when they play other's teams they are minnows.. cheers

5. Pro-Evo-King

Pro-Evo-King New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Football outerspace
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U're welcomed.

6. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Good on Mexico for coming back to win after trailing at halftime... when's the last time we did that?

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Honduras can beat Mexico in a close hard fought match. It won't be easy but their finishing on counter attacks is much better than los chapines.

Guatemala should have gone up by 2 or 3 if they had any decent strikers on those counters.

8. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you'll find if you watch teh matches again it was Demerit who was the rock of the US defense, and who on a few occasions bailed Onyewu out.

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Honduras game is going to be a lot closer than I expected if they play like Guatemala today.

10. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico ha a horrible game, they were due one this tournament. Hopefully they got it out of their system and are ready for Wednesday.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I must admit the game that has me most interested in the QFs is the Panama-El Salvador.

I expected Mexico to win and the Hon-CR to be a very close affair, and I also expect the USA to defeat Jamaica. But the Pan-ES is a bit of a mystery to me.

The style of ES is just the type that can take the speedy Canaleros out.

12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    He's scored some very important game winning goals for both club and country, if that's not changing a game, I don't know what is.

As long as he keeps scoring, I'm not gonna sweat the fact the he can't beat three guys off the dribble, there are other forwards on the team that can focus on your version of changing a game.

Honduras will open up at some point and try to attack and Mexico will look to exploit those gaps.

It'll certainly be a tough game, maybe tougher than this one.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They will play Mexico even better than Guatemala. They have had a history of doing so.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Nah easy victory for Mexico. Honduras will play tight and get burned. 3-0.

Please note I am no fan of the mexi team.

15. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting ahead of yourself eh? :p

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We shall see.

I don't know what you are basing your prediction on but you have the right to your opinion.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    If Mexico loses I will happy.

But semis always seem to bring out the best in one team and the worst in others. It is where you see either a sweep or a blowout more often than quarters. There is a sense of having accomplished something and looking to the next match.

All of this is based on science so I would not think to question my authority...

Just a hunch man, nothing more.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Based on Mexico's past couple of Semifinals they have been close games. Penalties Against Costa Rica? A wonder goal 1-0 by Pardo over Guadeloupe?

Honduras has a good history of beating Mexico outside of the Azteca. I don't see a blowout happening... ....and if it does it won't be in Mexico's favor.

19. BigClos

BigClos Red Card

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Like some dude posted. *bunkercaf* It's sad no one has balls to go toe to toe..

20. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico have to be massive favorites against Honduras, and IMO should win comfortably. Anything can happen but Mexico are 4-0 while Honduras are 1-1-1 plus a victory via penalties. The only team they defeated in regular time was Grenada.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Uh

Based on that MExico should have won "comfortably" against Guatemala.

Throw out the records and stats in the Semis. Honduras knows how to play against Mexico.

Now I am not saying they WILL win, I am saying they have a good chance of winning.

22. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    You play to win the game. Not to show your balls.

1 person likes this.
  23. johnsemlak

johnsemlak Member

Jun 27, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right and I'll agree stats don't matter much in the semis, but the fact remains that Mexico has a better team. I'm not sure sure about this 'they know how to beat Mexico' line. Have they faced Hernandez before? And while it won't be the Azteca, it should be a Mexico friendly crowd.

I didn't see the Guatemala match but it looks like in the end Mexico won pretty comfortably with a close result, and showed they could come back.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMk5sMHj58I"]Obligatory[/ame]

25. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not about balls. If Guatemala or Trindad or El Salvador tried that against good teams they could lose 4,5,6,7 -0.