Gold Cup 2011--USA Venues, groups and discussion

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by ATLfirefan, Nov 30, 2010.

1. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    Re: Gold Cup 2011--USA Venues and groups??

Yeah because Jamaica and El Salvador are sooooooooo much better than Canada right?

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Than Canada under Dale Mitchell? Hells yeah! :D The current team's under better leadership, though.

3. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Please enlighten me, which country has done better at recent Gold Cups: Canada, El Salvador or Jamaica?

Since you seem to not know anything about the region, I'll answer for you. Canada won their group at the 2009 Gold Cup, over Costa Rica, Jamaica, and El Salvador.

In 2007, Canada got to the semi-final and lost to the US on a very controversial offside call. SLV were eliminated in the group stage, and JAM didn't even qualify for the damned tournament. Canada won their group that year as well, with CRC placing second.

So yeah, which countries out of those three are cakewalks, again?

[inappropriate comment removed] ... :rolleyes:

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To say the least.

5. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Not soooooooo much better, but I do think they've been playing better recently. Read below for my answer to your buddy.

I can't ask you to think before you speak, but I can recommend you do some research before posting here. Did you see the latest WCQ round? Did you notice that mighty Canada only tied twice (2 points - safety). Jamaica spanked you 3-0 at Jamaica and tied you at home. They had 10 points. They also beat you in the last friendly. El Salvador made it to the HEX buddy, just FYI.

This ain't hockey, eh? I may not know much, but I can tell when I know more that someone else.

So what if you won your group or whatever? El Salvador won in '63, so what? See above to get an idea of who is playing better recently on important games.

Again; Canada, Panama and Guadeloupe. I mean don't get me wrong, they could have done worse, but of the 3 groups, I think that one is the easiest.

Sorry for ruffling your feathers enough to call me names, water off a ducks back, so have fun. It is what it is.

/p

6. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everyone's going to have a gripe and think they got the short end of the stick in one way or the other. I think Mexico has a harder group, but is it such a massive disparity its worth complaining about? Not in my mind.

7. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I am not griping about Mexico's situation, I knew we were getting CRC and that is fine. Would have sucked if we didn't at least get CRC or HON, the other two not that important.

But how could the US or Canada gripe? They could gripe that they got Panama instead of Cuba?

Like I said, it is better to beat good teams than to get a freebie. I comment because it seems a little too lopsided, if I was from El Salvador I would be a bit irked.

I know it is impossible to have perfectly balanced groups (specially considerig it is somewhat subjective)...but let me put it this way.

Assume you are arranging the groups and you are this far along

A: MEX-CRC
    B: HON-JAM
    C: USA-CAN

Time to pick the 7th team...

Would you agree that A is the strongest group there? Would you also agree that of the 6 teams left SLV is likely the strongest one? (only one in the HEX). So isn't it a better choice to put it anywhere but A?

Just sayin

/p

8. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, I was actually hoping a bit that SLV would be in the same group as the US so I could see both teams even though it would mean a tougher group for the US.

9. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Right me too, more interesting games too.

I think (my opinion) that as long as the US and MEX are not in the same group and HON and CRC are not in the same group either... it would not change anything for either of these four which (also IMO) are the strongest most exciting sides to watch. So MEX-HON or MEX-CRC (and the US combinations) don't matter... all four make it out.

But for teams like SLV it does make a difference, and SLV is (IMO) stronger than most (or all) Caribean sides.

/p

PS: now after all this talk, watch one of these 4 teams crash and burn :D.

10. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...and yet Jamaica knocked them out of the last Gold Cup, and Trinidad and Tobago got 4 points out of El Salvador in the last World Cup qualifying.

As for Canada in the last World Cup - there is a major difference between that team and the ones that have played in the last 2 Gold Cups (I hinted at it in my last post). Stephen Hart (Canada's current coach) was in charge for the 2007 Gold Cup, but then was inexplicably released by the CSA in favor of Dale Mitchell. As you saw, with him the Canucks crashed and burned in the World Cup, so Hart was given back the job for the 2009 Gold Cup.

In short: Canada under Stephen Hart = competitive; Canada under Dale Mitchell = @#&!ing hopeless

11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: Gold Cup 2011--USA Venues??

Dude nice call. Rep him

12. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

Has anyone tried to buy tickets. Ticketmaster does not have the Miami venue listed. It has every other day, but the Miami one. I wonder, why?

13. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I did, and came across StubHub and another site. They seemed expensive. At around the same time a friend of mine called me and said he had "club members" access to Cowboys stadium and as such could buy tix a week early (today insted of the advertised 16). He had seats for a decent price.

So the tix you see available today are actually from "club" members who are re-selling theirs, hence the small quantities and high prices.

me thinks anyway.

/p

PS: stealth gloat, going to the MEX game in Arlington.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What are the chances that individual game sell out?

15. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Honestly, no idea. I would think slim chances by next week, yet Dallas is a HUB so many people can get there.

It is hard to judge based on re-sale sites, the prices on stub hub were all over the place, up to $400...

On a separate note, I hate this double header crap. I know it has to be that way otherwise the Guadeloupe-Panama sells no tix, but sucks to carry the cost this way as a fan.

/p

16. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL

I plan on the Miami games and the Tampa games. US and Honduras. Back to back days.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh crap that is right, if we buy a $50 ticket for a USA match, we also have to buy a $50 ticket for the other ones?

18. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, I'm pretty sure it's one ticket = 2 matches.

19. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What is the presale password? Their "GC11" one that they have on the website isn't working...

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh thank god.

21. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Yup, it is. At least for the ones I got.

/p

22. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul

Whenever Mexico NT playin in gringo land, there's a way.

23. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Apparently you know more about Canadian soccer than me. Ok, then.

I bring up the two most recent Gold Cups, tournaments from which a lot of players will carry over into this summer's Gold Cup, and you bring up 1963?

Or perhaps maybe, just maybe, your ridiculous World Cup Qualifying example could have been explained away by 30 seconds of that "research" you accused me of not doing...

We have a winner.

Dale Mitchell was a godawful coach and got the least out of one of the most talented Canadian sides ever. I could go on and on about why he was so terrible and the stories that have circulated, but since PARS knows more about Canadian soccer than I, he's already surely well-versed in that chapter of the Canadian team's history.

Canada may not have the most talented collection of individuals in CONCACAF, but under Stephen Hart they have shown that they can compete with just about anyone in the confederation.

And under Stephen Hart, they've shown that they can consistently perform better than the likes of El Salvador, Jamaica, and even Costa Rica.

24. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

ooohhh, my bad then. So based on this what? You guys will likely face Mexico or Honduras (noticed I said likely).

So then what? you'll get past either one because of this coach change?

We should keep in touch during June and see ...how the ball bounces.

/p

25. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

What's your point?

You said Canada were worse Gold Cup opponents for the USA than El Salvador and Jamaica. I disagreed and gave actual evidence to my stance, and now you're talking about Honduras and Mexico.

I never claimed Canada was the best in the region, or as good as Mexico, the U.S. or (lately) Honduras. My entire point was that at recent Gold Cups, Canada performs much better than you've given them credit for.

Since you have no answer for that, you've moved the goalposts.

Whatever.