Gol TV. Worthwhile or not?

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by MichaelR, Aug 15, 2003.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR New Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I'm moving to a new home and need to choose among cable/satellite systems. Is Gol TV (which, I believe, is only available through DishNet) a must-have?

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have it, but I noticed that NJ cablevision has it. So chances are it will become more available. It certainly doesn't hurt to have it but I rate the following above it:
    FSW, FSE, Galavision-Telefutura-Univision, espn2, and MLS shootout.

3. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goltv is a better station for a south american but it still isnt that good yet. colombian, ecuadorian, uruguayan, peruvian, honduran, etc soccer gets a bit boring, but it does have its pros. italian, real madrid, etc and its gonna get more soon im sure.

4. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    I am surprised at the crap choices we get for both digital cable and satellite. My digital system isn't offering EPL games at the $19.95 a pop rate even anymore. I never bought. Especially for a league match with crap teams. They really need to play with the market a little more, and get more in volume.

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I guess it depends...

I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm not paying anything extra to get it. There's many different leagues but still quite a few repeats. There's a lot of filler--like the entire Real Madrid archives. (Too bad they don't have the current Real games.) Some of the CA and SA teams are pretty awful. Some of the keepers have to be seen to be believed. And many of the referrees seem to have come from the Twilight Zone. I've seen some pretty amazing decisions. Refs passing out cards like they were dealing poker. Very iffy calls that seem to benefit a certain team at a critical time. Very strange stuff. But now they've picked up the Mexican League and it's nice to have that in English. So it's kind of a work in progress. If they continue to improve, they might turn into something really worth having in a couple of years.

6. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    Re: I guess it depends...

I would think it would be hard to judge anything right now in regards to "live" matches since the Mexican league just got under way and Spain and Italy haven't started yet. It should get much better once all of those leagues get going.

7. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Gol TV is a must have if you are into Calcio Italiano: exclusive primary rights to top-tier Serie A matches for the next 2 seasons.

8. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Its no FSW, but its nice to have anyways.

9. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!

Get it. If you have Goltv, Foxsports World, and Galavision you can pretty much watch soccer 24/7.
    There is some down time, but for the most part it is all the soccer you can watch and more.

It really amazes me becaue 5-6 years ago it was hard to find games on t.v. and now you can watch them all the time. It's great!!!! :) My wife's not crazy about it, but she has the problem.