Going to Qatar 2022: tickets, accommodations, etc. (non-politics)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Danny Ascencio, Oct 22, 2021.

1. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  2. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So the only way to meet accomodation demand is to remove the legal restrictions on airbnb and private short term rental..just let anyone who has an extra room, to rent it out, even if he is not the owner..
    I think they will be forced to do that.
    They also mentionned desert camping will host less number than previously planned..

3. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure there is a restriction on Airbnb/Vrbo? There are a few places in Doha during the WC available on Airbnb right now. But I agree that it seems the only way out of this mess is for locals to leave town en masse and rent out their homes. Perhaps the powers that be will find a way to sweeten the pot for them?

In any event, glad I have my hotel booked and set. :)

Wankdorf 1954 repped this.
  4. HJ1313

HJ1313 Member

Club Deportivo Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Jan 4, 2022
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You should watch the 'Drive to survive' Netflix series and invite your wife to watch along. It's pretty engaging (pretty much a soap opera) and most likely you'll feel intrigued to watch the action live at least once in a lifetime. And if you don't like it then you have your answer.

We are also considering flying in through DBX but are a little hesitant since direct flights to Doha seem scarce and expensive on those dates. Do you have any advice on that sense? I'm trying to figure out if driving is a good option or a bus service of some sort but there is nothing I can find.

Eddy714 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  5. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think so. U need a license and quiet few restrictions to be able to do it such as you need to be the landlord. Well see. I am quiet confident the 90,000 rooms they are talking about will not be the final number

NNNJJJ repped this.
  6. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the recommendation! Will check it out.

Flights between DXB and DOH are pretty expensive at the moment, but there are only a few flights per day so supply is limited. Emirates isn’t flying the route at all. Perhaps they will schedule more flights to meet demand, though I don’t know if the recent history between the nations might affect that. Not long ago there were no flights at all.

I booked via AUH instead. AUH-DOH is expensive, but I was able to use miles on Etihad (transferring from Amex) and that was more reasonable. It looks like connecting through AMM also brings down the cost, but obviously takes longer.

By contrast, the return DOH-AUH is rather cheap on Etihad at the moment (~$140), so that may be worth a look.

Not sure about ground transportation options. The KSA part may make it tougher.

HJ1313 repped this.
  7. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    #182 belfasteric, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    I have an airbnb
    I have an Airbnb booked and confirmed, booked it a few months ago when there were a few options guy has a good few reviews and it was confirmed almost immediately. Like every world cup we will see does it hold up in the long run as we know you could have changed a few accommodations before you get there . My flight I booked from Amsterdam to Doha has almost doubled in price from I booked it

popularside, NNNJJJ and mazinio repped this.
  8. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I checked for Dubai - Doha. A return is for 650 usd , and it is only 1 hour flight ! I am sure they will add many flights and prices will go back to normal somehow (around 300 usd if booked early) but here in Dubai we still have the option of going by car (8 hours). If we are 4 in the car we can save big time. But hopefully flights will be around 300 usd soon so i go by air.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  9. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like you are based in Dubai? Is there reliable local chatter that more flights will be added to/from DXB for the World Cup?

HJ1313 repped this.
  10. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes definitly they will add. Before corona and political issues, there was like 15 flights per day from Dubai. now there is only 5 flights daily. So i expect they do like 20 flights a day for the world cup. Also keep an eyes on flights from abu dhani or sharja. Both airports are 45 minutes from Dubai..

NNNJJJ and HJ1313 repped this.
  11. Danielito1

Danielito1 Member

Real Madrid
    Jan 16, 2012
    Miami, United States
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I feel like before every World Cup many people here are overthinking it and over planning. Yes, there will be more flights and yes there will be more hotels / air bnb options available. They often release them later, closer to the tournament. I always book directly with hotels or take airbnb. It’s cheaper than going through official FIFA sites for accommodations. I got flights and hotels 3-4 months in advance and never had major issues. Also, some people always cancel their rooms couple of weeks before the tournament, life happens and they can’t go. As long as you stay on top of it you’ll be fine.

Now… how come FIFA didn’t open ticketing portal yet? It’s about time to register for lottery. I’m more interested in that :)

HJ1313 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  12. finbarrk

finbarrk Member

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I wonder why there arent flights between Doha and Bahrain?

13. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Still poltical issues not resolved. They fixed partially their issues with UAE and Saudi Arabia but not Bahrain yet

14. Eddy714

Eddy714 Member

Atlas
    Mexico
    Nov 23, 2021

This is my first time doing this and I really want to go. I'm really taking a relax approach for now, but reading these post are just making me anxious.

You think Airbnb will hold until the WC? I know that the people renting them out have an option of canceling, and I don't want to get stuck sleeping in the sand lol.

Does anyone have a schedule of when the lottery for the tickets will start?

15. Eddy714

Eddy714 Member

Atlas
    Mexico
    Nov 23, 2021
    #190 Eddy714, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    This is my first time doing this and I really want to go. I'm really taking a relax approach for now, but reading these post are just making me anxious.

You think Airbnb will hold until the WC? I know that the people renting them out have an option of canceling, and I don't want to get stuck sleeping in the sand lol. Looking at the prices for AirBNB at $1000+ usd I might stick with a package instead this is nuts.

Does anyone have a schedule of when the lottery for the tickets will start?

16. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    What if they just released what they can supply and just get 1/2 or 2/3 of expected visitors, would they really care? Feels like at this point FIFA and Qatar both just want to have a good product shown on tv and get this over without incident.

Arab Cup had attendances of 10-40% in some of the matches, imagine full capacity x 4 per day plus the hundreds of thousands of people going to the fan-fests and the daily commuters.

The fans who can attend will probably have a great world cup, see as much football as they want, even attend a match in every WC venue. Maybe they will even bus fans from fan-fests to matches with unsold tickets since all the venues will be close by to make it look good on tv.

Is it safe to assume Doha will not give a few games to neighbors after all the political issues from the past few years? If Doha does it alone maybe its just time to set more realistic expectations on what will happen :)

17. miazqd

miazqd Member

Liverpool
    Aug 28, 2019
    I happened to be able to book a Hilton brand hotel through the whole period - does this sound too good to be true? Should I worry if my booking will be canceled?

18. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Amazing, how did you manage that? i just had a look at their website: zero availability.

You know it's in November/December, right?:D And it's in Doha, not Dover?

Alopez, NNNJJJ, sats and 2 others repped this.
  19. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    I did this once for south Africa you could book upto 365 days in advance so I got booked. Then a month later they came back and said it should not have been on sale and cancelled my booking ..

miazqd and NNNJJJ repped this.
  20. sats

sats Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Flights from uk to Dubai booked, now waiting for some reasonable priced flights to Doha

popularside and NNNJJJ repped this.
  21. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    wow! anyone knows why these restrictions are in place? never heard about them.
    few friends of mine booked without any problems, but we‘re not in the EU.

22. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    EU laws give various protections to consumers for travel packages (such as protection against price increases, or your rights if you can no longer go), maybe they are just trying to sidestep these obligations. That's my guess.

jesta repped this.
  23. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ure one of 1000s of pple who will do the same and drive dubai-doha price crazy ;)
    Iets hope im wrong :)

24. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    oh, I see. sounds very logical

25. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team: