Going to Qatar 2022: tickets, accommodations, etc. (non-politics)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Danny Ascencio, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Ajja216

Ajja216 Member

Saudi Arabia
    Jun 4, 2022
    Seems like almost everyone here are confident that there would be a drop. Not sure when of course.

2. riverplate1201

riverplate1201 New Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 6, 2022
    Yeah I mean I don’t understand FIFAs logic behind making this FCFS phase last a month and a week long
    Guess we will all have to continue hitting that F5 button while at work

3. herewegoagain

herewegoagain Member

Jun 12, 2018
    What? Why would they offer more tickets?

This is not LMS. There shouldn't be any returning Federation or sponsor tickets yet. Maybe CC disputes/fraud?

4. saeeed

saeeed Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    May 1, 2014
    ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have game 59 wanted to buy 60 but the system didn't allow me to add it
    Its doable to watch but the system didnt allow me to add it , i ended up getting game 58

5. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    A logical answer is they released a subset of total inventory to determine how quickly (or slowly) tickets would sell. Now they have their answer, they can make any adjustments and continue with additional sales. Perhaps trying to decide if 100% of public inventory should be available now, or not until October when more GCC interest develops?

We know that they've retained unsold supporters' ticket allotment for FCFS sale in separate buckets for those nations' supporters. We know that they've created a Qatar-resident/QID inventory bucket, non-Cat4, for reasons we can only speculate on. No reason that they couldn't have retained additional public inventory for future sale. Reduces cost to those buying in October if there's more than just sponsor/fed returns, and makes the tournament ticket sales appear "impressive" that they "sold out" in the first 24 hours. And the first clue they didn't sell out is that there's no press release this afternoon touting this amazing accomplishment.

I'm not suggesting that FIFA will keep public inventory back until October (depends what they've learned from July 5) but they may have more Cat1/2/3 tickets that, for whatever reason, they didn't think it was worth selling yesterday. Deviation from past practice is possible....

But this is FIFA - logic is irrelevant.

Marius Tresor and Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  6. riverplate1201

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 6, 2022
    I think what people suspecting is that FIFA is holding back on some tickets for this phase not the returns or LMS
    Why else have this FCFS run for a whole month long ? What’s the logic behind it when every game is currently “unavailable” all in 24 hours from opening the portal
    Last FCFS lasted what? a week and a half?

Marius Tresor and Jo'Burg 2010 repped this.
  7. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they'll be dropping on Qatar site, then what doesnt get sold, post on the international side. They know Qataris move slooooooooooooow on ticketing.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  8. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    Last FCFS had 61 matches with completely unknown opponents. Most people buying then would be considered early-birds. Fewer buyers than those who would like to know who is playing, especially with the risk of two irrelevant teams playing. Fewer tickets likely to be sold. (I should know irrelevant - I'm watching one of those teams. Four times, I hope.)

djknox repped this.
  9. herewegoagain

herewegoagain Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Oh, really? How do we know that?

Fifa doesn't need to sell everything now, even those tickets on the domestic portal. Normally they would stop selling that, accumulate some more, and do another fcfs-like flash sale in a month or two.

10. Jo'Burg 2010

Jo'Burg 2010 Member

Jun 26, 2011
    They hold onto large numbers of tickets. We know that from all past World Cups. I have no inside info as to why. Speculate as you wish. But they do it. And I am 100% sure they are doing it now. For example, they probably only sold a few thousand tickets to the general public for the final. Where are the other 70,000 or so? Obviously, a lot of them are sponsor, federation, and hospitality tickets, but they will most likely be selling a few thousand more in the 5 + months before the match.

The semifinals are a mystery. There should be a lot more of those being sold to the public by now. My guess is that they are holding large numbers of those for final week hospitality packages, knowing that they have far more than will sell that way. I would expect most of those tickets to show up later for public sale, making the semifinals relatively easy to get.

11. Danielito1

Danielito1 Member

Real Madrid
    Jan 16, 2012
    Miami, United States
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yep, I purchased 4 tix to #60 relatively easy. 59 was there too. 57 was sold out for some reason. Portal let me in 1hr and 15min after opening.

12. bruinfan1

bruinfan1 Member

Canada
    Mar 24, 2022
    Multiple reports (including a screenshot for Canada) that tickets were available for otherwise sold out games when buying as a supporter. There (were?) still Canada tickets galore - Cat 1, 2, and 3 - as of 8 hours ago.

herewegoagain repped this.
  13. herewegoagain

herewegoagain Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Yes, I know they do that. I understand they have a plan and phase their sales. What I can't understand is why they would decide to offer more tickets while in the middle of the ongoing fcfs phase. I was surprised when they decided to offer semis and finals 4-5 hours AFTER the official opening time. Like you, I also expect lots of tickets like these to be sold in later stages. But not now.

14. Danielito1

Danielito1 Member

Real Madrid
    Jan 16, 2012
    Miami, United States
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Regarding FIFA Resale Portal - do we remember based on previous tournaments if we get the money back automatically when we submit tickets for resale? Or we can get it only if someone buys our tickets? What if I don't want them and no one buys them?

15. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Maybe we are all overthinking this, maybe something happened at the start and they were unable to get those SF and F tickets onto the portal. It felt like a drop but maybe it was just a delay.

And US Soccer supporters tickets are still available in cat 2 and 3 now so maybe the store is open until they figure out what to do with all the supporter tickets and then they can just close it early and declare to the world the amazing demand that forced the store to close 20+ days ahead of schedule.

Another incentive to keep the store open is you can still buy supporter conditional tickets off the portal (click on your name to go to My Home Page then go down to My Personal Product(s)). I think conditional tickets are returned at 90% if your team fails to make it? that's another chance for $_$ for FIFA.

herewegoagain repped this.
  16. riverplate1201

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 6, 2022
    Last World Cup I gave up a eighth final ticket and they returned my money immediately but I think they took 10% don’t really remember

17. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    even if they know, they don't care. I'm with @marianelah

18. vibrantcolours

Manchester United
    Mar 21, 2022
    Doha, Qatar
    Yes they did make the law, and it is pretty much strict. QR 500,000 and/or 1 Year Jail. They will monitor every local portal. Maybe a few international ones as well. Qatar being Qatar, its is easy to set up laws and implement them. Its all fun as long as you are on the right side of the law, once you cross the line and they catch you, its a different ball game.

They have teams set up just for this. My advise would be not to be a tout and sell it above face value. If you are physically caught doing it, you would have a hard time getting out of Qatar

19. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You only get paid if they sell. If they don't sell, you're SOL.

20. vibrantcolours

Manchester United
    Mar 21, 2022
    Doha, Qatar
    #9820 vibrantcolours, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    WC 2018, i had tickets delivered to me in Qatar. It was Germany vs Korea, the only ticket we got in FCFS 2, but last min phase we got different better ticket in Moscow and St peter, so i returned this one. I had to physically send this back to FIFA. Also you will get paid only once someone buys your tickets and it disappears from the portal. As long as it is unsold, you always have the option to cancel the resale and take the tickets back. So this is my experience from Last WC

21. vibrantcolours

Manchester United
    Mar 21, 2022
    Doha, Qatar
    I have written a detailed post on Ahmed bin Ali stadium here
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/g...ommodations-etc.2118067/page-282#post-4056664

On paper Ahmed Bin Ali - Khalifa is the easiest combo to do. I am pretty confident that with metro it is doable (2 hour time frame) if you are one of the first people to exit the first game. For taxis, they will always have a dedicated pick up points and exits, so getting out of a stadium could be problematic.

NNNJJJ and bruinfan1 repped this.
  22. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9822 marianelah, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Are Qatari jails like North Korea? Where they send a veggie home after the sentence is complete? That'll be great for their image worldwide. HEADLINE: Canadian comes home in a comma after selling a World Cup ticket in Canadian Dollars. -- Because of the Exchange Rate he made a profit on the sale. Qatari authorities jailed him for one year after making only 1 Canadian dollar profit. ... :ROFLMAO: There's always something every world cup. I guess this is it. The Russians beating everyone up, the africans raping women, the Brazilian favela gangs kidnapping doesnt fit here.

23. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    why are the tickets for the 3rd/4th place spot also sold out huh? I can't understand why the price can exceed the group matches price, even below the group match price, actually it's not that attractive anymore

24. vibrantcolours

Manchester United
    Mar 21, 2022
    Doha, Qatar
    Lol, personally no experience. If you sold it at 1 dollar or a small amount no one is going to bat an eyelid. Only way i can see trouble is if someone complains that they are people selling at above face value or they see it in the public forums.
    Black market prices and sale do happen here for tournaments but it is the first time there is a clear law.
    Qatar usually deals in fines, So it will be a comfy stay with shwarma, and chiken burgers :) and you pay the fine and leave.

25. Infantino

Infantino New Member

Ajax
    Finland
    Jun 16, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Switzerland both of them! Probably coincidence probably not.