Going to Qatar 2022: tickets, accommodations, etc. (non-politics)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Danny Ascencio, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022

Thanks for sharing

can you share the detail of the podcast (tittle-episode) ? I’m interested to hear. Thanks

2. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Real Mardin, finbarrk and jesta repped this.
  3. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the average venue size is also much smaller.

popularside repped this.
  4. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022
    I also think that based on the first 24 hours request statistic that actually less people applied. Since 2018 and 2022 24-hrs number of ticket requested are simillar. However, this year a person can apply more ticket. So basically applicant number is less

5. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    you can‘t compare the numbers now and in the past. delayed payment changes nearly everything.

6. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022
    what do you mean by delayed payment ? The numbers that I use is the number of people who applied (before the payment)

7. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe the point is that since you don't have to commit to purchase to apply for tickets this time around, it's easy to just throw in an application even if you're not quite sure whether or not you will end up buying tickets if you get approved.

Alopez, NNNJJJ and popularside repped this.
  8. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022
    Gotcha that is very good point. Thanks for the explanation.

9. Omar Malik

Omar Malik Member

Liverpool FC
    Canada
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi all,
    I applied for multiple games in the group stage, all cat 1, does anyone know the chances of me actually getting these tickets in the first draw?
    Applied for 5 games so far, looking to get more.
    Also, in the first draw will you usually get lower area cat 1 tickets, or tickets higher up in cat 1.
    Thanks!

10. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I would say 50%

Omar Malik repped this.
  11. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Mostly in the later phases, which are not a lottery. Persistence being the key thing. Also, a couple of times FIFA put tickets to the Final on sale in person in the city where the Final was played, which made them pretty easy to purchase, if you knew the time and place and got there early. I was able to buy tickets that way a couple of times. I doubt that they do that again, but who knows. In 2002, FIFA sold up to 4 tickets per person to the Final a few days before the game. But you had to have a Brazilian or German passport, and just line up at a location in Tokyo. Most people bought 4 tickets, kept 1 if they didn't have 1 already, and sold the rest...and paid for their whole trip with the profits. Again, FIFA has not done that since, to my knowledge, and I doubt that FIFA does that this time, but you never know for sure. The point being that FIFA holds onto a lot of tickets to the Final, and they do not put many on sale in the early phases, at least that is what they have done in the past.

12. Eddy714

Eddy714 Member

Atlas
    Mexico
    Nov 23, 2021
    #513 Eddy714, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    i thought they were going to be talking about the world up and giving more information of what to expect. This is just the typical fear mongering that the average fan doesn’t care about. Every county is questionable when it comes to how it treats its residents and immigrants that come to the country.

I’m looking forward to attending the WC and I will respect the laws they have in place like if I were to go to any other country.

Sorry Worldcup2022 I meant to reply to the links not to you.

Alopez repped this.
  13. finbarrk

finbarrk Member

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    Jun 11, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'd say you will be lucky to get 2. And you mightn't get any. But don't let that put you off going. Plenty of time left.

Omar Malik repped this.
  14. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I'm not disputing your personal experience, but I don't think FIFA run the lottery in a way that prioritises applicants for solo (or small number of) tickets over applicants for higher numbers.
    Doing such would make the process more complicated - without that bias they can just work through each match, shuffle the list of applications for that match into a random order, and work down the list allocating tickets until they run out.
    Making it a bit more complicated isn't out of the question of course, but if they wanted to prioritise solo applicants then they'd probably say about it, because that would be far more effective than just sneaking in a bit of bias behind the scenes.
    Also, with the amount of chat that goes on around here any time there's a ballot, I'm sure we would have noticed any systematic bias.

Martin NYC repped this.
  15. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Very tough to figure out your chances. For Russia 622,000 tickets were distributed in this phase from 3.5 million ticket applications. However this does not mean you can divide 622,000 by 64 etc.

Some of the parameters

1) It appears Cat 3 has been greatly squeezed with Cat 2 expanded.
    2) A lot of people will target the Final in particular and the opening match.
    3) A lot of local residents will target the cat4 tickets as they are fantastic value. These will be very very tough in this phase.

As of now some games will still have significantly lower demand eg Al Janoub at 1pm on a Tuesday or Al Bayt at 10pm on a Wednesday night will not be attractive to people working during the tournament. Even for those of us who will be there on vacation Education City at 4pm is a better bet (avoids all the hassle with shuttles to AJ) . Khalifa at 7pm is in Doha on the metro rather than the journey up north and arriving back in the early hours of the morning. Now that is my current thinking however if Brazil v Mexico is in Al Bayt and Switzerland v Panama is in Khalifa suddently getting back well after 2am is less of a concern. Obviously if your country is in the game it is a no-brainer.

No chance of knowing or picking upper or lower tier in the stadium.

Anyway not really an answer to the question but definitely your best chance is pick cat 1 and tick the box to accept other categories. The concern then is if you apply for too many games, you get lucky and you get a huge bill.

Marius Tresor, Eddy714, sats and 2 others repped this.
  16. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    https://m.thepeninsulaqatar.com/art...ts-for-qatar-2022-tickets-in-less-than-a-week

popularside repped this.
  17. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thanks Gary
    I heard that Cat 3 seats are reduced by 60% compared to russia, but where did u read it ? Is it in the podcast ?
    So fifa is classifying some of the cat 3 as cat 2 and some of cat 2 as cat 1 ?

18. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005

mazinio repped this.
  19. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    My guess is that they have allocated a percentage of tickets to this branch of the sale, and people won't generally apply for them (because there's no obvious reason to), so if the match combinations are suitable for you they are worth applying for.
    From FIFA's point of view this is a way to get people to go to several games in quick succession, and that's the best way for them to get match tickets sold when accommodation is a big problem.

There was a vaguely similar thing, "Destination" tickets, in Euro 2016 where in phase 1 you could apply for a certain pair of matches in nearby stadiums a few days apart (e.g. a long weekend) and probably the idea was to incentivise fans to stay a few days in that area of France for a while and spend money there, instead of hooning around the country non-stop. Obviously even if you were thinking of going to those particular matches it's just as easy to apply for them separately, so why bother with the joint ticket? I applied for three of them had 100% success (of course this is just one data point).

Something that's worth bearing in mind in general though is that if you apply for a 4-stadium ticket you will get all or nothing, which might help with planning. (If you apply for several, you will get all or nothing of each set of 4 independently.)

NNNJJJ repped this.
  20. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    I hadn't noticed that the Al Bayt matches were at night, and initially it seems a bit odd with them involving the most transport hassle. But I suppose the idea is that at least all of the stuffing-around is happening when the temperatures are OK?

...Which leads me to wonder whether the opening match (Al Bayt 13:00) could be a bit of a scorcher if you have to spend much time queueing up.

21. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No its because of its capacity and game importance (they will allocate the most importsnt games to bayt and lusail) and suitability with broadcasting for europe / usa / south americ

NNNJJJ repped this.
  22. Worldcup2022-

Worldcup2022- Member

Milan
    Argentina
    Jan 21, 2022
    Do you think getting bayt and lusail ticket match is the “easiest” in this phase since they have bigger capacity ?

Also, how can they adjust the important match to Bayt and Lusail ? since it will be based on the group drawing and matc orders are following group schedule A to H

23. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Good point, I was thinking that apart from Lusail they were all a similar size but you're right, Al Bayt is 60k.

24. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Thus far the group phase match schedule just says what match kick-off time is at which stadium and, separately, which matches are on each day (e.g. C3 v C4). After the draw C3 v C4 will be allocated to one of the 4 times/stadiums.

mazinio repped this.