Going to Qatar 2022: tickets, accommodations, etc. (non-politics)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Danny Ascencio, Oct 22, 2021.

1. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've been to the last eight and did the organising for friends/family for the last 7 of those.

Every tournament has produced different surprises and challenges.

I think accommodation is the big challenge this time although I am resisting buying hospitality at this point.

Having all the games so close this time will make internal travel very easy. It is relatively cheap and easy to get to Doha.

That leaves tickets and accommodation. The more difficult it is to get accommodation the easier it will be to get tickets.

HJ1313, Wankdorf 1954, NNNJJJ and 2 others repped this.
  2. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    I have no inside information, but it is still very early compared to Russia 2018, where the first lottery was about 7 months before the start of the World Cup. Over the years, FIFA has been pushing the opening of ticket sales back further and further. It was a little surprising that they said January 2022 this time. I would not be surprised if they push it back a couple of months. They always want to sell as many of those hospitality tickets as they can first. But there is so much uncertainty this time.

3. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Couple of months ? After the draw ? They shoukd have 1 round of sales before the draw, to maximize sales

4. belfasteric

belfasteric Member

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    The lottery for Russia opened for applications on September 14th 2017

Attached Files:

5. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    ^ That's what I was just about to say. That's exactly 9 months before the start of the tournament, so the equivalent this time would be 21st Feb.

belfasteric repped this.
  6. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    #231 Wankdorf 1954, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    The first ticket phase ( Draw) will be designed in such a way that after the Draw there is at least 4 weeks to be able to pay for tickets retrospectively for which the debit from the credit card was unsuccessful. At the last World Cup you then had 2 grace periods which lasted a total of 3 weeks.
    The end of this last deadline must be before the playoffs or the draw, because ticket buyers simply do not pay if they do not like the groups drawn or the schedule.
    So I'm assuming that the first sales phase will start in January and that the Draw will be at the end of February.

Many buyers (merchants) will work with a large number of accounts and invented virtual credit card numbers that cannot be debited. If FIFA is clever, they will not allow subsequent payments.

7. belfasteric

belfasteric Member

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Most tournaments run lately especially by uefa haven't asked for a debit/credit card up front .. you've entered the draw and if successful you've had around 5 days to pay and you can't pick and choose you either take all successful on your application or none

popularside repped this.
  8. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    But FIFA has always been since 2006 , and the UEFA at the first Time 2020 without CC

9. belfasteric

belfasteric Member

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    FIFA have changed slowly but have changed and seem to be moving more towards uefa,s model of tkt selling. Originally if your credit card was declined you missed out completely if successful they just binned your application ,then they moved to giving you a chance to pay if declined .

popularside repped this.
  10. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    UEFA only did this because of the new data protection regulation - for the first time at the Champions League final, and then for the first time at Euro 2020. At FIFA, there was the option to pay later for the first time in 2018, but after the draw, credit card withdrawals were made.
    It can be different again in 2022.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  11. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if more people have Eric Cantona's attitude about this WC, maybe it won't be so hard after all to get tickets or even accommodations. . . .

https://www.givemesport.com/1818758...nsists-he-wont-wont-watch-the-qatar-world-cup

While there have been issues undoubtedly with this WC, I'm definitely going! I cant help but think there is hypocrisy, and unfair characterizations of Qatari (and neighboring Arab countries') footballing culture, in Cantona's rant.

12. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #237 Marius Tresor, Jan 12, 2022
    Note the difference: Opened versus closing and draw taking place. It was 7 months when you learned what you got and paid.

13. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #238 Marius Tresor, Jan 12, 2022
    See ^. Opening doesn't matter, it is closing and draw that matter, that is when you know what got and when you pay. It was 7 months.

14. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    FIFA really should postpone ticket sales. We don't even know if spectators will be allowed, or if 100% capacity will be allowed. There is still too much uncertainty.

15. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like we won't know about capacity restrictions / closed doors -- which I certainly hope does not happen! -- until much closer to the event. Doubt they would want to wait that long before commencing ticket sales.

16. A Ibrahim

A Ibrahim New Member

Ajax
    England
    Jan 6, 2022
    For Russia 2018, the final draw was on December 1 and the ticket sales begun on the 14 September. For Brazil 2014, the final draw was on December 6 and the ticket sales begun on August 20. For South Africa 2010, the final draw was on December 4 and the ticket sales begun way before on February 20 of 2009. Based off of that, they've been pushing ticket sales closer to the draw for the past three tournaments and with the final draw on April 1 I would expect the first sales phase to begin either in late January or in early February with the accomodation portal opening at a similar time. I would not expect FIFA to postpone ticket sales because of Covid, they really need to get this first sales phase done before the draw so people aren't put off from applying to certain games.

Wankdorf 1954 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  17. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #242 Marius Tresor, Jan 12, 2022
    AFCON is going on right now at 60% max capacity, 80% capacity for Cameroon (host) games. This is unprecedented stuff for FIFA, and everybody else.

But reduced capacity could solve the accommodations issue. ;)

18. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Again, the opening date for lottery phases doesn't matter much. It is the closing date that matters. And then the draw, when you find out what you got and pay for it.

Ticket "sales" didn't begin on those dates. Those were the dates when the portal started receiving applications for the lottery. And the portal was open to receive applications for several weeks. You had just as much of a chance at tickets submitting your application on the last day as the first. There was no advantage to being the first to submit.

19. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    But the final tournament draw is 7.5 months before the opening match, and that's not a date they can just forget about in the hope of extra hospitality sales. Given that they announced that the ticket portal would open in January, it seems they are looking to complete the first ticket phase before the draw as usual - which would suggest that 7 months or less is out and 8 is more likely this time.

20. Wankdorf 1954

Wankdorf 1954 Member

1.FC Kaiserslautern
    Germany
    Dec 21, 2013
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Marius Tresor repped this.
  21. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    But previously:
    Obviously there's room for a bit of slippage, but beyond that requires a major decision.

22. kingcobra123

kingcobra123 Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jan 4, 2022
  23. belfasteric

belfasteric Member

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    You won't get a fan ID until you get a ticket, once you get a tkt you can then apply for a fan ID ...that's how Russia worked maybe Gary can tell us how this worked for the Asia cup

popularside and kingcobra123 repped this.
  24. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Same system was applied in the arab cup

Marius Tresor and belfasteric repped this.
  25. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It was the same as Russia. You need a ticket first and then can apply for Fan ID.

At this point you can only leave the field blank I assume