Going to Qatar 2022: tickets, accommodations, etc. (non-politics)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Qatar' started by Danny Ascencio, Oct 22, 2021.

1. DCU_USMNT

DCU_USMNT Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's correct. Refunds go back to the same credit card used for the original purchase. I received a couple refunds this week.

2. Ian Messner

Ian Messner Member

Mansfield
    England
    May 25, 2021
    I'm waiting on refunds but they asked for bank details on the account, I think its when they refund you with credit on your account (bought tickets using credit which were then resold), now when I log in I can see 1500QAR on my fifa profile waiting to go in to bank, emailed them and they resent terns saying 30 days after resale closes

3. diegomaradona1010

Sep 16, 2017
    Anyone still awaiting refund for their accommodation? It appears no one is monitoring the accommodation website email anymore.

4. milan24_2000

milan24_2000 Member

AC Milan
    Feb 24, 2018
    Auckland, NZ
    I got my refund just now for the ticket I resold in the last phase. I thought I won't see them after new year:ROFLMAO:

5. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was staying in an apartment in Doha and was supposed to check out on the 21st. My flight was at 7:00pm, so I figured Id stay in the apartment until someone showed up to check me out. I waited until 4:00pm; I called and email to see when they would show up to check me out. The phone number said no-one was monitoring the calls anymore. I still haven't gotten a response on my email.

I ended up just leaving the keys on the table and just walking out of the apartment. I think the accommodation agency closed shop right after the cup ended.

diegomaradona1010 and Ric_Braz repped this.
  6. belfasteric

belfasteric Member

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    They contacted me a month ago to say they tried to refund the money to the original card but couldn't, And to upload new details which I did ever since then it's been me emailing continual but getting no were ... they owe me £1,500 in tkt money

7. Benyounes

Benyounes Member

Morocco
    May 31, 2022
    Happy new year i guess

Roberto Braga and Wankdorf 1954 repped this.
  8. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm still waiting as well. I provided IBAN and BIC in early December. Nothing yet. Strange one as the credit card expired and was replaced.

9. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    @vibrantcolours I want to thank you for your tireless, valuable input leading up to this World Cup. I too caught a bug a few days into my visit and it was a challenge to find the needed energy to attend all the matches I did. I too managed 24 teams in 19 matches, and sold all 4 quarter finals out of exhaustion! Although FIFA threw us a few curve balls, I agree that the wisdom here mostly held true.
    Hope to meet you in 2026 where I will be a home town contributor (Toronto).

mazinio, vibrantcolours and NNNJJJ repped this.
  10. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm not sure why anyone listens to the media anyway. The world has (and always has had) many problems and right now the West has a mind virus infecting it. I will share separate thoughts on Qatar 2022 but without ANY DOUBT it was one of the best World Cups ever. BTW, let's not make anything about skin color as there are no racial monoliths. People think and believe all sorts of stupid things in every corner of the world. It's not racial, it's ethnic, tribal and cultural.

nighthawk_2002, Wankdorf 1954 and NNNJJJ repped this.
  11. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry @marianelah but assassination, murder, corruption and bribery is not a racial thing - don't make it that way. I detest virtue signaling more than just about anyone. Yes it seems to be a Western Culture phenomenon, and yes the West is still majority "white" but trust me there are plenty of people of other "races" singing the same woke BS. Pick me an identity and I will show you someone matching on the mainstream media spewing woke BS. (BTW there is no such thing as race - it simply cannot be defined. I hesitate to digress, but no one can tell me exactly where "black" turns into "arab" or where "arab" turns into "persian" or "turkic", or where "turkic" turns "chinese" - it is one continuum of altering genetics. I have traveled through well over 100 countries and there are no distinct racial boundaries - only cultural imposed by political circumstances)

As for this opining about Messi donning some article of Arab clothing - the outrage is ridiculous and not worth any effort in discussing. it's akin to claiming that little girls can't dress as Moana because it's cultural appropriation - well I suppose Asians can't use the telephone either because of cultural appropriation. Total nonsense. Anyone who sees a problem with this is slave to pure confirmation bias - which unfortunately is running rampant these past several years.

If a World Cup final was to be held in Canada (not likely for some time), it would be like our Prime Minister offering a maple leaf toque or a box of maple syrup candies. Countries has symbology they are proud of - nothing more. Personally, this was the first World Cup to be held in the Arab World and it was well executed. The cultural gesture was appropriate.

12. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sorry bro but "changes for good" is very subjective. Of course you can have your opinion, but it is not easy to universally agree on what is "good." I will give you one example to illustrate what I mean. In Canada, many (but certainly not a majority) believe that the current government is very authoritarian, bordering on woke fascism, and they was exemplified by the whole Trucker Protest clamp down where civil liberties were abused like we have never seen in Canada. Some agree with my perspective, some oppose it. Also in Canada there is a steady drumbeat about how evil the "residential schools" were to indigenous children 100 years ago. I see more nuance in the matter. Some agree with me and many do not.

So how about we tell FIFA that the 2026 World Cup should not have been awarded to Canada due to it's history of, and ongoing attack on, civil liberties? The world is not so simple. Managing migrant work forces on big construction projects is not easy. I know because I have done it. One can try to impose all the safely protocol imaginable and there will still be fatalities. Why? Because 1) migrant work forces bring a different mindset to the jobsite, and 2) shit just happens. Turning a blind eye to the problem is not good and I am not giving Qatar a pass, but neither is armchair virtue signaling from Brussels from people who likely know shit about large scale construction projects.

Bottom line is Qatar 2022 was very successful in 1) staging a spectacular global sporting event; 2) introducing Arab culture (good and bad) to many foreign people; and 3) letting the Qatar authorities - and by extension the Arab World - know that they are members of a global community where infringements on civil liberties will not go unchallenged. Frankly I can't imagine a more successful outcome than that...

NNNJJJ repped this.
  13. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    YES Happy New Year and congrates @Benyounces for Morocco's amazing run in Qatar. I went to 2 Moroccan matches (which they won both) and the fans were amazing. Only congratulations to Morocco is in order. As a Canadian, I look forward to a rematch someday soon!

14. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just so you know, you walk over dead bodies everywhere you step. Many people die every day building the infrastructure you/we enjoy. Some "investors" try harder than others to minimize it, but there is no innocence on this matter. We impose tighter safety standards and fatalities still happen. The world is steadily improving it's safety and environmental record. You can argue there's a long way to go, and I will argue we have come a long way already. Virtue signaling won't make things better, because there's no tangible value in hypocrisy, just noise.

nighthawk_2002 repped this.
  15. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've received about 60% of my resales already. I have no doubt that some folks will have problems, but so far I am hopeful that it is progressing smoothly. Just a note that the refund seems to be more linked to the date you resold and not the date of the match. I resold 1 QF ticket quite early and it has already been refunded. Other QFs that I sold at the last minute have not yet been refunded. I also sold two late group stage tickets and they have yet to be refunded whereas an R16 ticket I sold early has been. I think most will be sorted out in another week or two...

16. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well there is a happy medium. For me, I welcomed not having droves of drunk obnoxious fans. Some matches were a little tame, but brawls in the stands is not a good look either.

nighthawk_2002 repped this.
  17. djknox

djknox Member+

TFC
    Canada
    Apr 24, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just wanted to share a baker's dozen of observations of Qatar2022:

1. Although the number of spectacular goals was low, the competitiveness of the matches - general quality of play - and the number of surprises - were excellent. Only 1982 comes to mind for being similar. grade 9 out of 10. Had Canada beat Belgium and tied Morocco - it would have been a 10 LOL.

2. The stadiums were amazing. Canada would be so lucky to have any one of them. Very close to the playing field with hardly a bad seat. Too much air-conditioning at only 1 of 19 matches I went to. Al Bayt would be my pick for #1. Grade 9 out of 10

3. Domestic Logistics exceeded my expectations. Stadium egress by Metro and Bus was frankly unbelievable. Only at Education City did I have to queue for 20 min to leave the property. The amount of walking leaving stadiums was a little excessive - made worse because I went to 2 matches a day on many days. But in retrospect that was a good price to pay for not having to queue. In the end, one could get home from a match in a reasonable time frame, without too much queuing. And the ability to access 8 stadiums within one city was frankly unbeatable. Grade: 9 out of 10

International Logistics. From what I could tell, the arrivals and departures worked very well and except for the post-covid airline hangover, I thought Qatar managed it very very well. But the airlines are a mess today and so that tempers my perspective a little. Grade: 7.5 out of 10

4. Accommodations. We shared a 3 bedroom apartment in central Doha at a cost of $130 per night each. Location was very good (less than 10 minutes to 3 different Metro stations on 2 different lines). The apartment was good and had all the games on the TV. A little pricey but not back-breaking. Grade 8.5 out of 10.

5. Hospitality and Service. Doha really shone bright here. Friendliness at every turn. I will never forget the voices of Filipinas singing "Ole, Ole Ole Ole, metro, this way." :) 9.5 out of 10.

6. Food and Beverage and Attractions. I loved the great food and fresh fruit juice stands all over the place. Beer & Wine accessibility was limited but not overly restrictive. We could have cold draught at any number of hotels with a 10 minute walk of our apartment. And with so many matches to attend, thank god I wasn't drinking more than i did! Attractions were not plentiful but then again, who had the time? 8 out of 10.

7. Security and Crowd control. For me, a little too much crowd control, but in the end it all worked very well and security NEVER showed attitude or lack of restraint. Bring a camera in was often combative, but that was thanks to stupid FIFA rules. I didn't hear of any problems at all concerning brawls, arrests etc. 9 out 10.

8. Covid Management. I think Qatar and FIFA managed this very very well. They kept a lid on it with tight controls but ultimately relaxed everything just in time for everyone's departures. I actually caught covid in Qatar (I only tested for it at my next destination) and that drained me of that extra energy I would have liked to have had, but considering all the alternatives, they did well. 8.5 out of 10

9. FIFA Tournament format. I think it is clear that this 32 team format is the best and I give it 9.5 out of 10.

10. FIFA Fan parks and other public viewing options. I was disappointed in the fan park (should be on grass and easier to get to and from) and it would have been so nice to have several smaller viewing venues about town. Of course there was a lack of small bars and cafes to sample, but that is the culture. On the upside, not too many drunks roaming about causing problems - big bonus not just to me but for families too. This was a very family friendly World Cup. 7.5 out of 10.

11. FIFA Ticketing. I remain mixed on this. Too many phases, too much queuing, too much manipulation of demand, too vague on what one is buying. The app was great when it worked but leaves too much room for disaster. However, the pricing remained reasonable if one has hundreds of hours to invest. 7.5 out of 10.

12. FIFA match control. I remain skeptical about certain rules of the game and how they get enforced. I really think there is room for improvement. 7.5 out of 10

13. Tournament outcome. I personally believe Brazil was the best team but Argentina being led by Messi was a great outcome for the sport. The final was certainly the best ever. 9.5 out of 10

Overall, this was a great World Cup. 8.5+ out of 10. Not quite as culturally vibrant as some destinations, but match accessibility and general logistics and safety were huge pluses. I applaud Qatar for staging one of the best World Cup tournaments ever. I've only been to 5 so cannot fully judge. But no doubt this was very very good, and all my friends who attended with me (for the first time I would add) all left Qatar very happy and saying it was good value for their money.

Finally, I would like to pay tribute to the late Pele - the GOAT of the past 50 years. He was a genuine leader on and off the pitch and he will stand with the very greatest in sporting history for a very long time. A true legend. I grew up with Pele being an active King of Football - he is part of my story wearing #10 with great pride. I actually got to see him play in Toronto in 1975. He didn't score but what a thrill for a boy to see a living legend. Whether Messi has now done enough to supplant Pele is arguable, depending on how much emphasis one places on World Cup vs League success. Only time will tell but I am partial to his 3 World Cup titles for Brazil. Pele will always be the King of the Beautiful Game to me. RIP.

Having said that, Messi did what only the greats find ways to do: he led a good but not brilliant team to World Cup glory at the age of 35. He is the greatest footballer of recent generations and I am privileged to have watched him play in 2010 at the World Cup and now in 2022 in Qatar. Special thanks to @herewegoagain for helping to put M24, M39 and M50 tickets in my hands.

I welcome everyone to Toronto in 2026. It's a great city to visit and I suspect the CanMNT will perform well. Public transportation isn't the greatest, so I see logistics being the only downside to it. Choose your accommodations wisely!

These are exciting times for Canadian soccer fans. Thanks BigSoccer for invaluable insight. :thumbsup:

mazinio, sameerqat, darom and 7 others repped this.
  18. diegomaradona1010

Sep 16, 2017
    The Qatar Accommodation Agency email is not being answered (after two weeks) and their phone number no longer works. I’ve tried emailing the Supreme Committee and Hayya agencies and they have both responded telling me to email QAA (this is after I have informed them QAA is not responding). Does anyone know how I can get in touch with QAA? They owe me a refund. If I don’t see any progress in a few days I’m just going to do a credit card chargeback.

brasileiragem repped this.
  19. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    +1 to this question. Facing the same issue here.

20. Roberto Braga

Roberto Braga Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Unfortunately my apartments' staff were there on Dec 20th to check me out and give no more minutes after 1pm lol

I was able to find a good deal on booking.com anyway and stayed there until my 3am flight.

21. diegomaradona1010

Sep 16, 2017
    They finally replied to me after two weeks. They said they will process all refunds in January.

Did you hear back from them as well?

22. theredarmy87

theredarmy87 New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 7, 2022
    I am also waiting for 80% refund on my canceled apartment nights. I contacted the accommodation agency last week, but no response yet.

23. tullyite

tullyite Member

Apr 28, 2009
    @djknox.
    Fountains of whataboutery, “woke fascism”, “virtue signalling” etc etc. It’s all rather easy and predictable.
    No country is perfect but there should be clear lines in the sand when a truly transparent FIFA goes about deciding who should host a World Cup ie. functioning democracy, respect for human rights. Qatar (and others) have singularly failed in these basic aspects of being a “good” country. The lack of high profile foreign dignitaries at this World Cup was quite noticeable (Macron excepted).
    Qatar spent a fortune to make it work and they had to. This was sportswashing on an unprecedented level - so much so that they even made FIFA bend their own rules.

Pat ROI+THFC repped this.
  24. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else still waiting for refunds on conditional tickets? I got the cancellation notice and invoice on December 4 that it would go back to the original card. No word from FIFA and nothing on my card yet.

25. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm waiting on refunds since August.

MacPhistoTerp repped this.