Going to Manchester

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Eddie26, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hey guys,
    I just won a trip to Manchester on World Soccer Weekly for next weekend's game against Man City. I've never been to Manchester before. Any suggestions for good places to go, see, do. Any suggestions also for pre-game/post-game destinations? I am so excited. I may be a Chelsea fan but I always love watch the Manchester derby. Always a crazy atmosphere. Any suggestions would be excellent.

Also, if you could type out some of the words to some songs, it would be much apperciated. I obviously know "Glory, glory..."

Thanks,
    -Eddie

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take me with you and I'll show you the time of your life. :D

3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Congrats, it should be a good time!
    I hate to say that I didn't get a chance to enjoy my trip over earlier this year, but that was mainly due to my ex-girlfriend.
    Old Trafford is a sight to behold. I didn't see a game there, as I took the trip north to see Blackburn play Man U at Ewood, but stopped by OT the next day. After seeing Ewood in person, Old Trafford was a total beast by comparison. Check out the clock on the side of the stadium commemorating the plane crash in Munich; it's quite sobering. Check out the Man U museum if you have time.

The Trafford Centre is a nice place to do some shopping. You can find pretty much anything. ASDA is across the street, which I only bring up because it's owned by Wal-Mart. You can fly across the ocean yet not escape Wal-Mart!

Where exactly are you staying? I stayed at the Palace Hotel on Oxford Road. There are a few pubs and such on that street, but I didn't get to visit any of them. Hopefully I'll change that in a couple of months.

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Sorry, I only take gloryhunters! ;)

(I hope taking my fiance doesn't turn her from a Blue to a Red!!

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, I am now waiting for BMI to call me so I don't know any details!! This sucks. The game is next weekend and I have work, school and dogs to rearrange!!

6. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I think you will find a way to get all of that sorted out. I'll tell you, it is such a breath of fresh air to go over there and see football headlines on every paper and every other person talking about it. In that regard, I thought I was in heaven. I've made my mind up that I'm going to try to make it over twice a year from now on.

7. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well, being in school I only get over about every other year. Went to the Bridge last year to see Brum, two years before that for Wise's first game back at Chelsea with Leicester, etc.

I was writing an email today to a friend of mine about how I'd love to go to England this year but being a student I have no money.

The Manchester Derby is one of my favorite games to watch.

8. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    I've had good luck with the prices on expedia. Right now I'm looking at going over from 12/23 to 12/29 for just under $1000 for flight and hotel. Given that I'm not one for crazy spending when I go over there, my total trip costs won't be much more than that. I know not everybody has a spare grand laying around, myself included, but considering the relevance of the trip, it's really not a bad price at all especially if you only go once a year or so. With my spending habits, I'd waste the money one way or another, so I figure I might as well waste it by going over to England to catch a game or two.

9. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Go to www. virginvacations. com

They have trips for hotel and airfare for a week for under $500

10. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    wow, that's pretty cheap. I'll check it out.

11. erictheking

erictheking Member

Feb 2, 2004
    You definately want to walk through Salford talking in your loud american accent about how good Chelsea are.

12. Adam_Jonesey

Adam_Jonesey New Member

May 20, 2004
    Salford,Manchester!
    lol you've got to do that! but not near ordsall, near old trafford! that's the worst place to do it! anyway lucky you getting to go and watch it! i am not working that sunday (hopefully thinks won't change) so i'll be able to watch us beat the other moaners(arsenal and city both moaning about refs lol)

13. Colin Bell the King

Colin Bell the King New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Wythenshawe
    Me and the City lot are drinking in Printworks before the game. Come for some abuse! :D

Anyway, I've got a question for you. I'll be walking from town, I know the way to Salford University, is White City on the same road too? I only ask cause I usually go via Stretford and Chorlton, but am in town drinking before the game.

Oh and I'll be wearing colours, and I know there are rough estates in Salford, so will I get battered? :eek:

14. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Just wish the Citeh fans would have sang: ******** back to Bristol, ******** off back to Bristol...

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To all who gave me help. Thanks a lot. Manchester was a lot of fun. We had such a good time, thanks for all the suggestions. OT was amazing, the game was good, even if it was a tie and I got to see (among other things)
    1) Alan Smith's first Man U red card
    2) Rooney laugh when the Citeh fans sang "You only score in a brothel"
    3) Fowler tell the Man U fans to f off
    4) Citeh fans sing their lungs out
    5) Sitting directly behind Rooney's fiance
    6) Sitting next to Gordon Banks on the way over

Manchester is a wonderful city filled with some truly nice people (for the most part, but every city has some idiots. Especially American haters...)

But for the most part, Manchester was wonderful. Thanks for the help...

-Eddie