Going to LA for the October match?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SuperQuake, Jul 6, 2005.

1. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    We know it is very early to start planning... but hey tickets are only $39 bucks in Southwest... will there be a quakes section? Will there be a discount? Last time the Quakes released a discount form but they did that just a few days before the game... we already had tickets, hotel, etc.

Any tips? It would be AWESOME if 1000 of us show up for that game...!!! :)

2. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    yeah, already got the tix....through our contact via SSV.

3. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I would like to take the family, but don't want beer bottles thrown at em' (I, however, am used to that kind of thing!).

Is it really as bad as some of the posts I've read??

P.S. Last time I was at HDC, the parking lot svcks for tailgate. Is there anywhere else to hang for pre-game??

4. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also had a general question regarding 'Quakes vs. Galaxy matches in LA.

The atmosphere is definitely exciting (or even intense) for the California derby in Spartan Stadium. What's it like down in LA? Do the fans down there get into it as much as we do?

5. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Last two times I was there (games with Galaxy and Goatfvckers this season), I did not see anything thrown at us. Although, there were not too many fans in there.

6. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has always been well worth the trips to LA. Except for the results :mad: I forget the name of the hotel but last time I went I belive it was openthegate that brought some tunes by the pool. Plenty of beers and sunshine - brilliant.

7. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    As far as I remember it was Torrance Marriott.
    Not the most convenient hotel to stay - you have to drive to get to the stadium. I usually pefer to stay at Hampton Inn which is actually a walking distanxce from HDC.

8. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, I stayed there the last game. Literally a 5 minute walk to the HDC.

9. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    And they have a pool there as well.
    We should arrange something for the next time.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's not bad at all. The beer thrown last year was in cups (not bottles) and the incident has perhaps been blown out of proportion. The game this past May was without incident and there was quite a bit of security in evidence near the Quakes' fans' section -- for which we were given discounted tickets by the Galaxy front office. I intend to go again in October and you should, too.

11. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Yes I did and I'll be doing it again!!! The name of the hotel was the Marriott in Torrance. I stayed at the Hilton for the last game. I won't do it again. The Marriott's better. I'll probably stay there this time again. The pool scene was much better and you could rally crank up the tunes.

12. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    One of my favorite poolside memories from the Torrance Marriott was with Reuben and his family a couple of years ago.

We went down for a regular season match toward the end of the season. We were all watching the start of a wedding through an iron gate that led from the pool to the adjacent courtyard. We had all had plenty to drink, since we'd been checked in for a while and lounging by the pool for at least an hour. We barely resisted the temptation to start singing (to the tune of "Hooray for the Red, White and Blue")..."Here we go, here we go, here we goooooooo!"

Moral of the story: drunks belong only at the reception.

13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, we should assume that in October there will still be good reason to be enthusiastic about going down to Casa de AEG, paying confiscatory parking and concession prices, and cheering on the Quakes? ;)

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... that makes it so much better!

And exaggerated I guess is a matter of opinion. I usually wear my white Mullan shirt down there. And I hear it wasn't just beer. Someone told me they were dripping in mustard. That woulda pissed me off to no end.

That said, I'd still consider going in October. :D

15. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Well, at least it was not the soy sauce ;)

16. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For MLS Cup '03 we stayed the night at a cheap motel in Buttonwillow (about halfway between here and LA) and drove all the way home after the game. It worked quite well.

17. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    We stayed in an awesome Holiday Inn (I know what you're thinking) across the freeway from HDC (could see it clearly from my window). It is owned by the Japanese (someone told me there are a lot of Japanese businesses there).

Anyway, we stayed in a mini-suite. Got an internet special for $69! Excellent room, pool, bar, sushi, etc.

18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

Because with one exception, the Quakes always play like crap at HDC. Even that 2003 Final was far from a 90 minute performance.

I've brought carloads down there to watch the blues half-ass it, then completely ignore a sizeable contingent of Quakes supporters.

But yeah, I'll go. Hell yeah. This time it's gonna be different.

19. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    OK... Airline tickets are ready!!! Just waiting to get the game tickets - at a discount since they are for LA.