Going to Germany 2024: Trains, Planes, Accommodation and all

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Joeyy

Joeyy Member

Arsenal
    France
    Jul 30, 2019
    Thank you gents for the recommendations.
    I did something crazy, I booked a flight going to Munich tomorrow and going back home the next day. :D
    i guess i will book accommodation tonight somewhere next to the train station.

Straight_drive2, Dage and LaParka710 repped this.
  2. ratters

ratters Member

Leicester City
    England
    May 19, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For anyone going to Germany on the Eurostar from London, I would recommend signing up for Smart Check. You get a dedicated security lane and bypass queues and UK passport check. Was literally through in 2 mins. I don’t think class of ticket matters despite what the Eurostar website says. I just have a standard premier ticket.

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/your-trip/smartcheck

LaParka710 repped this.
  3. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Think I'm going to risk just using the fan pass for local travel right through the tournament whether I have a match ticket on that day and on that area or not. From my U-bahn to Germany v Scotland and back, ICE train from Munich to Berlin, S-train plus U-bahn to hotel, my ticket or pass wasn't checked once. Given how much I'm contributing to the German economy I think they owe me not having to work out how to buy a ticket every time I want to go somewhere, and given how long it took us to decipher the pass rules I reckon I could get away with playing the dumb Scotsman if I get spot checked.
    P. S. I've got an interrail pass for the ICE trains.

themanlarry and soul repped this.
  4. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    By the way, the queues getting to security at Munich were horrendous at 2 hours before the game, and horrible at the U-bahn getting home. I booked a hotel 2 stops north of the stadium thinking I was being crafty, but the problem was getting into the station, not on the train itself. For my next game in Cologne I'll be arriving 3 hours before and doing my eating and drinking there instead of in town, and probably the same after the game for an hour or so. Hopefully other stadiums do things better than Munich.

LaParka710 repped this.
  5. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    In all reality, the odds of being checked for tickets are low and the only trains I've been checked on are long-distance IC/ICE trains, which obviously your pass covers.

6. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Getting into stations has been my issue when seeing Bundesliga matches, so I'm expecting that kinda throughout unless it can be walked like Leipzig. Might not be the worst idea for people to walk to one station up and get on there if possible.

welshbairn repped this.
  7. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Many years ago in my hippy travelling on zero money phase I was caught on the Munich U-bahn without a ticket, and they made me sweep out a platform. I think these times are gone alas..

themanlarry, thoves and LaParka710 repped this.
  8. Lod31.

Lod31. Member

Nov 20, 2019
    Cologne was very good yesterday in my opinion, took me about 50min to get from my seat in the stadium to Hbf after the match. I walked to Junkersdorf tram station and took the tram to Weiden West and then train to Hbf. There was not much people and all went smoothly. I would recommend that or walking to the S-bach station, the name of which I forget l, but it had the word of technology in it. I also basically walked straight into stadium through security (a bit over an hour before the match), no queues.

LaParka710 and welshbairn repped this.
  9. soul

soul New Member

May 1, 2014
    good info thank you!

10. Untitled

Untitled Member

Chelsea
    Oct 6, 2022
    Anyone had any experience with going to the match by car?
    I am still not sure if it’s easier to go by car or public transport

11. ryan_202

ryan_202 New Member

Leeds
    England
    Mar 16, 2024
    Does anyone know how far the train station is to the stadium in Dusseldorf? My group managed to get last minute tickets for the France Austria game tomorrow but we don't arrive in Dortmund till 5pm tomorrow. It's going to be tight with checking in to the hostel then hopping back on the train to get to Dusseldorf in time for the match!

12. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    That's great news, thanks!

13. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Bear in mind you could get a large fine if you're unlucky. I've since found the Berlin travel app which makes buying a ticket really easy and tells you the route, a single journey is 3 euros, so I might pay occasionally when there are no games on in Berlin.

14. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    It's about 25 minutes or so, but based on past experience, I would not plan on getting the first train there unless you get there to the central station about a half hour before kick-off and everyone is already at the stadium.

ryan_202 repped this.
  15. Straight_drive2

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If you have to pass by the Dortmund/Dusseldorf train station on your way back after the game, I suggest storing your bags in the baggage lockers at the station, before heading over to the stadium. That'll save you some time & can be better used for some pre-game drinks.

thoves and ryan_202 repped this.
  16. Leigh Shrimper

Southend United
    England
    May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Southend United FC
    I'm going by car to Gelsenkirchen today. I have booked an official car parking space for €25 right next to the stadium.
    Not all stadiums have parking.

They try and scare you and say traffic will be bad. But less people drive to these games than normal German League games.
    Will update on what it was like later.
    Also booked parking for the R16 game in Gelsenkirchen.

For Frankfurt and Köln will be using the public transport our accommodation is close to the stadiums, but away from the city centres.

17. east londoner

east londoner Member

West Ham United
    England
    Jun 10, 2021
    Based on last nights Gelsenkichen train chaos.... any chance of a car share for the L16? :)

18. macdonak

macdonak Member

May 15, 2006
    London
    Aside from hiring a car (whoch may be a sensible option), does anybody have any tips for navigating the apparent chaos at Gelsenkirchen for future games (eg the R16)? It was a shitshow after the 2006 Portugal vs England QF too. Any favoured routes? Or cab companies that can be pre-booked and drop off - and especially pick up - anywhere close-ish to the stadium?

19. east londoner

east londoner Member

West Ham United
    England
    Jun 10, 2021
    It's a 6pm kick off so tbh my thinking is tram to the stadium by 4pm and then to walk back to the station after the game. A 90 minute walk beats that tram horror. Queing to get on was the nice bit... being packed in for 45 minutes of sweaty hell stopping at every crossroads and tram stop going was not to be repeated!

LaParka710 repped this.
  20. Leigh Shrimper

Southend United
    England
    May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Southend United FC
    Ha ha I heard it was dreadful. I gave 3 friends a lift back to Essen they were very grateful.

Anyway parking was OK we were in car park E, it was stationary in the car park for ages I hung around for about 45 minutes and one car moved about 5 car lengths in that time. But all of a sudden it started moving and we were out within an hour and once out being late on a Sunday there was no traffic.

21. sinfony

sinfony New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I have no idea why they insisted on stopping at any other stops. It was obvious that nobody wanted to get off at any stop along the way and nobody was even able to get on at the other stops as the trams were rammed to bursting point.

I especially felt sorry for the disabled fans who had been directed to get on at the station one stop down from the stadium as there was simply no space for anyone else to board.

Just call them shuttle trams and drive straight through to the central station and back as quickly as possible.

east londoner repped this.
  22. east londoner

east londoner Member

West Ham United
    England
    Jun 10, 2021
    Hadn't seen about the disabled fans, that's real bad - although in this sea of badness it's just another drop of bad.

The good thing is it was so terrible that they must do something to improve it for the next games. Well, we can at least hope!

LaParka710 repped this.
  23. timelessmelody

Aberdeen
    Scotland
    Oct 25, 2023
    Anyone familiar with getting back to St Pauli after a game at Volksparkstadion....will trains be chaos? Don't mind walking if we can get a couple of beers on the way?!

24. Ostepopmannen

Ostepopmannen Member

Arsenal
    Norway
    Feb 6, 2024
    Trondheim
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Gelsenkirchen and Dortmund does not impress me when it comes to exit the stadium. Fair play to that English lad who just spent the night inside the stadium. Best choice I've seen so far.

Two games in Dortmund (both WONDERFUL games), trains takes ages to arrive.

Düsseldorf gets 10 out 10 from me. Trains (well, trams) appeared every minute after the game. Effective.

LaParka710, east londoner and Alison R repped this.
  25. east londoner

east londoner Member

West Ham United
    England
    Jun 10, 2021
    Gelsenkirchen deserves its own special chapter in history for being a complete mistake. But Dortmund is walkable to/ from the hbf station. We did it in 45 mins, didn't bother with the subway or tram, just started walking. Seems OK for a 65k+ stadium.