Going to Germany 2024: Trains, Planes, Accommodation and all

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023.

1. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    One of the fan zones in Berlin is showing them all, but you're right about the other one
    and Gelsenkirchen, maybe they're not expecting much interest in the other games, I doubt many foreign fans have chosen to base themselves in Gelsenkirchen. I'll be looking for a decent bar in my temporary Berlin neighbourhood to watch games in when I'm over anyway.
    upload_2024-6-5_11-2-31.png

LaParka710 repped this.
  2. Oxymorons

Oxymorons New Member

Crvena Zvezda
    Serbia
    Mar 11, 2024
    You are right, i somehow missed the Reichstag one, cheers :)

3. Leigh Shrimper

Southend United
    England
    May 9, 2016
    Club:
    Southend United FC
    Don't forget if you are driving to Germany to order your Umweltzone (Green Zone) sticker.
    Ordered mine from Tüv and it only took a few days.

DikkeAap repped this.
  4. Omar Malik

Omar Malik Member

Liverpool FC
    Canada
    Jan 19, 2022
    Does anyone know what is the best way to get to stadiums in Germany on match day? It seems that many of the stadiums are quite a distance away from their nearest metro/train station, so would taking an Uber be better? Don’t want to get stuck also in too much traffic getting to a game.

5. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They are all well served by public transport.

LaParka710 repped this.
  6. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I haven't been to all of these stadiums, but of the ones I have been to, you're not getting an Uber any closer really to the stadium than the nearest train station as police presence and crowd control techniques will limit drive up traffic. Especially for the Euros with a heightened sense of potential trouble than a random Bundesliga match.

Also, Leipzig is definitely walkable from the central station (30 mins or less). Hamburg is walkable from one of their stations that is an ICE station. Dortmund is less than 45 minutes on foot from the main Hbf. Just throwing it out there in case anyone doesn't want to do public transport right to the stadium in those places.

ktabel01 repped this.
  7. Derek Bentham

Derek Bentham Member

Preston North End
    England
    Apr 17, 2024
    Has anyone had trouble with DB Trains rescheduling routes?
    I’ve been doing our trip “on the cheap” flight to Amsterdam and train to Düsseldorf.
    Have been rerouted 4 times now and the latest route is not suitable and ended yup cancelling.
    Is it strikes or engineered work, just interested.
    Ended up getting Flexibus - Amsterdam to Düsseldorf 2 hrs 45 mins - £18 each happy days

8. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    That happens a decent amount as DB changes routes kinda often. I had issues on my last trip to Germany where I would go to bed after confirming my trip for the next morning and it changed overnight. I've bought precisely one seat reservation (an ICE train back from a late match) on DB for this trip and don't plan on buying anymore because of their route changes.

Derek Bentham repped this.
  9. Harry Kane's on my mind

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 7, 2023
    Hello
    Wanted to ask is there like an all inclusive public transport sort of membership / ticket.

Quite annoyed at the fact lets say youre staying in Berlin going to Leipzig and Gelsenkirchen not only do you need train tickets to get there, its when you get back you need a day pass for your trip back home in the city where you're basing yourself ( too many passes too many bookings really annoying and overwhelming) i dont understand why not make it all inclusive if youve got a match ticket just like Qatar! Its only 2.7-2.9 Million Tickets for the Euros, could be around 1.5 Million people getting access to public transport for just a month or like 400K people on public transport daily until it drops down to 60K spread all across Germany and not in 1 City either

10. Lod31.

Lod31. Member

Nov 20, 2019
    There is the Deutschland-Ticket, which costs 49e for a whole month (from first of a month to the last, if you travel in both June and July you would need it for two months). It seems to be a bit difficult to buy and cancel (might have to do it before 10th of each month, ie. already in two days). I will probably buy one if I end up going to see Denmark vs Slovenia in Stuttgart, as it would enable me to get a cheap hotel in Karlsruhe and use regional trains for travel.

I agree that they should have given better benefits to ticket holders considering the prices of tickets we have paid. The free public travel area is definitely fine for some venues, but should have been larger in others (Stuttgart, Hamburg comes to mind)

11. Harry Kane's on my mind

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 7, 2023
    So with the Deutschland ticket i can go to Leipzig and Dortmund with that pass? Because ill be considering a Public transport weekly pass for the first week with that and An All Inclusive pass for the following week to get access to museums etc along with Public transport

If you do the math, while they say public transport is free its definitely not unless youre in NRW and only staying there.

12. Lod31.

Lod31. Member

Nov 20, 2019
    As long as you use regional trains only you may. Will take longer than on IC-trains though, but in certain circumstances will save money and you do not have to worry about buying tickets or passes.

13. treacleb

treacleb Member

Mar 23, 2022
    That's annoying. England fan but have tickets to Spain v Italy in Gelsenkirchen. Was hoping to watch the game at a fan park before going to the Spain/Italy game after. Anyone have any recommendations easiest way can watch the England game and then get to the game?

14. DaBull13

DaBull13 Member

Real Betis
    United States
    Nov 30, 2017
    According to the website below, you should be able to watch England at the Gelsenkirchen fan zone.

https://uefaeuro2024.gelsenkirchen.de/de/festival.aspx#fanzone

"There is a large public viewing area in the amphitheater. All games played in Gelsenkirchen as well as all games of the German national team are broadcast there. All other games can also be watched in the fan zone on the Nordsternplatz."

LaParka710 and treacleb repped this.
  15. treacleb

treacleb Member

Mar 23, 2022
    That’s great. Appreciate the response.

DaBull13 repped this.
  16. Lod31.

Lod31. Member

Nov 20, 2019
    I have various accommodations booked for next weekend, as I am still looking for tickets for some days, and my plans are not fixed but I will soon have to make decisions which to keep. Is anyone else trying to make it to Wuppertal after a 9pm match in Gelsenkirchen? The last train to Wuppertal from Dusseldorf leaves at 1.30am which would mean that I would need to take the 0.41am train from Gelsenkirchen to Dusseldorf at the latest. I have no knowledge of Gelsenkirchen, but getting in 1,5 hours from Veltins arena to Hbf seems quite possible, but not certain. The trains also might be quite crowded. Any thoughts on this? Where are other people staying for these late Gelsenkirchen matches?
    Also, if I do not get tickets for England vs. Serbia, do you think it would be worthwhile going to the Gelsenkirchen fan zone to watch it? That place seems a bit nightmarish to get away from, considering the 9pm game time. Dusseldorf or Dortmund fan zones would be easier to reach to watch the game, but would the atmosphere be as good.

17. Alison R

Alison R Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    Nov 8, 2023
    England
    We are also staying in Wuppertal and have two 9pm matches in Gelsenkirchen, however we decided to swap accommodation for those two nights partly because of the slight risk of not getting back to our hotel in Wuppertal and partly to stay with others in our travel party and ensure they get back ok!
    It takes about 15-20 minutes on the tram from the stadium back to the main train station, so that should give you over an hour to actually get on the tram at the ground which should be easily doable. I expect there will be lots of extra trams put on after the game to get people back to the main station and how long it takes you to board one of these will depend on where in the stadium you are seated. I believe the England fan section is the end nearest the tram stop whilst the Serbia fan section is the end further away from the tram stop.

I'm sorry but I have no experience about getting from the Gelsenkirchen fan zone location but looking at the info you can get the shuttle bus back to the bus station in Gelsenkirchen which is right next to the main train station. I suspect most England fans without tickets would be going here, but I will say that Gelsenkirchen itself isn't the liveliest of places.

LaParka710 repped this.
  18. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    You'll probably end up with tickets, but in case you missed it there's also the big England fan zone at a racecourse that stays open late to watch the game (unless that's what you meant rather than the official city one).

Beers are 2 euro cheaper than at the stadium too.

I think you'll have no problems getting back to Dusseldorf in time unless you (or someone you're with) aren't a fast mover, or if you make a mistake along the way.

Lod31. and Alison R repped this.
  19. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm on same boat, staying in Wuppertal and have one match Spain Italy 9 pm. Make me wondering if better switch hotel or stick to Wuppertal. Oh gosh, 9pm match so difficult.

20. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm in Wuppertal for most of the group stages and Rof16. I'm not expecting any issues getting back after late games in the 4 close venues. I'm at Serbia v England and Spain v Italy there. It will most likely be the early hours before I see my hotel bed but no concerns.

LaParka710 repped this.
  21. Dragonhorse

Dragonhorse Member

Manchester United
    England
    Mar 3, 2017
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Then i follow you back if you don't mind :)

popularside repped this.
  22. JadJoud

JadJoud Member

Mar 17, 2024
    Hello,

For people living or visited Munich, is there an app that I can manage with it all my transportation? Like for buying metro/bus tickets. I already have de DB Navigator, is it enough?

Thanks

23. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    If you're not going to the match in Gelsenkirchen, I would probably go to the Fan Zone in Dusseldorf if you want to go to one. It should be easier to get back than from Gelsenkirchen and, as stated above, Gelsenkirchen doesn't seem like the most fun place.

Lod31. repped this.
  24. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I've been to Munich a few times now. I have not tried to ride a bus there, but I don't really think you need an app for the U-Bahn if you're only going to be there for a few days. I just buy day passes out of a machine in the station and just keep that with me as I move around. Even for non-ICE trains like the S-Bahn from the airport to the central HbF, I don't use the DB app and just use ticket machines. I would only use the DB app for ICE and regional trains if I was you.

JadJoud repped this.
  25. JadJoud

JadJoud Member

Mar 17, 2024
    Thanks alot for the input. I'll be there for 4 days (1 day with a match - 36h with fan pass), so I guess I will buy 2 days of transport.