Going to Germany 2024: Trains, Planes, Accommodation and all

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023.

1. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    You could try Flix, from under €10 return by train.

AlistairSinc and Flintstone repped this.
  2. Flintstone

Flintstone Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Looking on Flix it seems prices are a lot cheaper than on DB. A train from Berlin to Dusseldorf at 10€ when on DB it's 30€. So Flix is a legit option?

3. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Never used it but I don't see why not, especially for a short journey like Berlin to Leipzig. Hopefully someone who's used them will comment.

Flintstone repped this.
  4. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    Flix is legit but they run very few trains. I don't think they'll be any good to get you back to Berlin from Leipzig unless you stay over, which rather defeats the object of the cheaper fare

Flintstone and LaParka710 repped this.
  5. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I've a friend in Cologne who says they're fine. One problem could be you might have to wait a while for the next train if there's a cancellation, but if you're paying pennies it could be worth the risk.

Flintstone repped this.
  6. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    A train from Berlin to Leipzig for €25 is a perfectly fair price. I have only used a Flix bus and had no issues, but I usually stay away from any transportation that only has one route per day or much less routes than the competition. Especially when I have to be somewhere on a particular day at a certain time. Like the comment earlier, we're paying all that money for hotels, matches, and planes that I personally wouldn't be worrying about a €20 difference that might lead to an issue.

If you're doing more than two trips around Germany, a rail pass is probably the way to go as fees will start adding up. Plus, it gives you flexibility in case your plans change.

Flintstone repped this.
  7. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    Also remember that the train prices are dynamic. There's a chance you're €25 could end up being higher if you leave it.

Flintstone and LaParka710 repped this.
  8. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    Does anyone know if I can buy a DB/ICE one way train ticket using the fan pass (€29.90), the following morning after the game?

I can’t see anywhere where it stipulates the time frame for the return leg of the journey you can use in order to get home.

Fyi, game is in Gelsenkirchen - staying in Bochum for the night and travelling to Frankfurt in order to fly out the next day.

I emailed DB, but had no response for a few weeks sadly - so wondering if anyone else has had any luck or knows?

9. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    I'm working on the assumption that this is for the day after the England v Serbia game. If so the answer is yes they are available.

Use this link...

https://int.bahn.de/en/buchung/intern/start#?et=EM2024

I did a search for the morning of the 17th June from 9am from Bochum to Frankfurt Airport and every train had a €29.90 ticket available.

10. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    Thank you for the reply. It’s for the first round knockout, but still the same concept.

I assumed and hoped that the route was fine, as it’s going to and from a host city/environ and showing the discounted fee - however, it’s more whether I can the day after my game.

Unlike the 36hr travel pass, it doesn’t seem to note a time frame to use the fan pass/match ticket for your return leg of your train journey home - ie does it have to be the same day or can it be the next..

11. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    You appear to be confusing two different things. The 36 hour fan pass is for travel within the region in which the game is behind staged, or two regions in regards to some of the venues.

The €29.90 Euro 2024 ticket is separate and includes ICE trains, which the 36 hour pass doesn't.

Assuming, from what you've said, that you'll be looking to travel from Bochum to Frankfurt Airport on 1/7 then the same as before applies. Pretty much every train has the €29.90 fare available. Just search using the link I supplied.

Untitled repped this.
  12. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    No, it is in fact you who seem’s to be confusing what I’ve said entirely and are misunderstood/aren’t reading my post correctly.

I know the difference, hence my question. So I appreciate you trying, but you’ve not answered it either time.

I am wondering if anyone knows (or believes that) there is a time frame post match to use the return leg of the allowed discounted ICE/DB ticket, as the website that I was already aware of, does not seem to stipulate any - unlike the 36hr train pass. So does that then mean there isn’t a strict time frame, and I could technically just stay in Gelsenkirchen for a week after the match and then return home if I wanted?

13. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    Apologies if I was confused.

Your were talking specifically about the day after the game and those €29.90 fares are showing as available so I see no reason why you couldn't purchase them.

They also show availability of those fares from Bochum to Frankfurt Airport on the 3/7. As this is a rest day on the day following games in Leipzig and Munich I can't see how those games would have any relevance to that journey unless there is considerable leeway in what is allowed.

They are also available on the 4/7 which, again, is a rest day.

Personally I'd take a chance and buy what I needed but YMMV.

Harbs123 repped this.
  14. Testopener22

Testopener22 Member

Arsenal
    Jun 19, 2022
    Australia
    What you are seeking to buy is the DB ticket. My reading of the purchase conditions is that you may purchase two of these tickets for each match ticket, with the only date restrictions being you must travel between Jun 12 - Jul 16. Apart from these dates, there doesn't appear to be any time restrictions - you could use the DB tickets to arrive well in advance of the match (from Jun 12 onwards) and leave any time up until Jul 16.

Here is the link with more info https://www.uefa.com/euro2024/event-guide/ticket-holders/

Harbs123 repped this.
  15. Alison R

Alison R Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    Nov 8, 2023
    England
    If y
    If you click through to the DB site for details of the ticket, https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/special-offers/fan-ticket-football

It says
    "The DB Ticket Euro 2024 is only valid on the booked connection within Germany. The offer is available for ICE, IC and EC connections within Germany. You can use local transport (e.g. RE, RB, IRE and S-Bahn or non-DB trains) to get to and from a long-distance station if you include them in your booking. You are not restricted to travelling on a specific train when using local transport services. However, your journey must be completed by 10:00 am the following day."

To me that doesn't make it clear if it is only the local transport journey that must be completed by 10am the following day nor is it clear if the 'following day' relates to the match day or train ticket day.

16. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Again, the "10am next day" in this specific case is referring to the local transport leg of the date/time validity of the intercity train ticket if you have added it to the reservation, not referring to any date of a match of football. It is quite common and is the same if you travel on this sort of ticket in everyday life.

Going back to the original question, the general consensus is that with each one match ticket you are eligible to travel on two purchased one way DB Euro 2024 train tickets during those dates listed above. But yes it is unnecessarily vague and ambiguous.

LaParka710, Alison R and Harbs123 repped this.
  17. Harbs123

Harbs123 Member

England
    Jun 24, 2018
    London
    Thank you for all your replies and input in order to help with this - it’s reiterated what I had hoped would be the case, so it’s greatly appreciated.

18. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I suspect that the fan pass will work with any DB €29.90 ticket whether you have a match ticket for a particular game or not.

19. ratters

ratters Member

Leicester City
    England
    May 19, 2016
    United Kingdom
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For anyone interested in queuing for a few hours to get out of a car park :),

upload_2024-2-27_18-7-54.png

LaParka710 and themanlarry repped this.
  20. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    AlistairSinc repped this.
  21. Joeyy

Joeyy Member

Arsenal
    France
    Jul 30, 2019
    I made some research on flixtrain and it seems that if you are not flexible about time, As Laparka710 said, you may risk your day if you wish to attend a game in the afternoon. delays with these trains may occur.
    Another issue is that these trains are not comfortable for 5/6 hours trips.

AlistairSinc and LaParka710 repped this.
  22. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Another flight time change, aerlingus have moved my flight from 7.30am to 10.30am which doesn't suit as I'm at an afternoon game the day I arrive. At least they contacted me and allowed me a free move to the day before..Still awaiting an email from Ryanair for a flight they've moved by 4 hours

23. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Hoping for a 5 hours or more change on 3 flights I won't be using anymore, minimum you need for a guaranteed refund, partly because I wasn't expecting Scotland to get the opening fixture.

AlistairSinc repped this.
  24. DaBull13

DaBull13 Member

Real Betis
    United States
    Nov 30, 2017
    Hello, I plan on traveling from Gelsenkirchen to Berlin using a DB Euro Ticket. The route has a 9 minute transfer in Essen. Should I be worried that my train from Gelsenkirchen to Essen could be late and I’ll miss my transfer? If that happens will I be able to take another ICE train to Berlin, even though the DB Euro Ticket says it’s Train-specific travel? Thanks!

25. Testopener22

Testopener22 Member

Arsenal
    Jun 19, 2022
    Australia
    It’s impossible to say whether your connection will be made or not. DB trains do not quite run like clockwork as some might imagine. But if you miss your connection you will be able to take the next available train without penalty. You may need to go to the ticket office to get your ticket revalidated. You would lose any seat reservation you might have made for the connecting train though.

DaBull13 repped this.