Going to Germany 2024: Trains, Planes, Accommodation and all

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023.

1. yildiz

yildiz New Member

Galatasaray
    Turkey
    Jan 9, 2024
    Hello all

Would Köln be too far out to stay for Dortmund games?

And how good is Lindner Hotels in Germany for accommodation?

2. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    If you are only going to Dortmund matches, I personally would stay somewhere else other than Koln unless you really have a desire to stay there. There's lot of places closer to Dortmund that you could stay.

3. ktabel01

ktabel01 New Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Feb 5, 2024
    Learned alot from the boards so thanks everyone so much. Have tickets for a 6pm dortmund match and have to get back to frankfurt at a reasonable time. Any issues making an 835 ICE train realizing will likely have to start egress before the final whistle?

4. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I personally think you're cutting it way too close. I know you will plan on leaving early and that a regional train is a short trip back to the main station, but there's a lot you can't control in making it on time to that ICE train. Sure, in theory, leaving early gives you a better chance, but what happens if the match is a beating and a vast majority leave early too? Not to mention, you might be seated on the complete opposite side of the stadium from the station.

Based on my experience with German league football, I'm giving myself at least an hour (probably 1.5 hours really) to get to my train out of the city unless it is a situation like Leipzig where you can walk it easily. Dortmund is walkable back to the station in 40-45 mins, but that still may be cutting it close in your case.

5. thoves

thoves Member

May 5, 2011
    I now have a question for the people who are using DB often, and is familiar with their rules.

The thing is, I have ordered a ticket with ICE from Frankfurt to Köln. The train has been getting a "Time schedule change" two times, and for that reason its arriving to late in Köln. I phoned DB from Norway yesterday to change for a earlier train, and they say that I dont need to change anything as long as I go on another ICE or InterCitytrain on the same day the ticket will be valid. Is that correct? My original ticket is now available to use on whatever DB train from Frankfurt to Köln on the same day?

6. pt2000

pt2000 New Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Feb 8, 2024
    Hello,

I am attending a game in Gelsenkirchen but in the next day I would like to visit Cologne.

Does anyone know if I can use the DB Ticket Euro 2024 (29.90 eur) to buy IC ticket from Cologne-Berlin to go back home the day after the match if the game on my ticket is not Cologne?

I could not find that info anywhere..

7. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I would think you could not if you are not attending a match in Cologne or Berlin in that time period. That is based on what I read before, so I would not take my word as gospel, but that's how I interpret their terms and conditions.

8. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I would email DB to make sure, but as Cologne and Gelsenkirchen are in the same 36 hour free travel zone, I think it might be ok to get a Euro 29.90 Cologne - Berlin ticket the day after, if they're not all sold out.

9. Harry Kane's on my mind

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 7, 2023
    Any treatment for the Zero Tickets Syndrome?

AlistairSinc repped this.
  10. Testopener22

Testopener22 Member

Arsenal
    Jun 19, 2022
    Australia
    For those ineligible for a discounted Euro 2024 Interrail pass, Eurail passes are currently available at a 15% discount until March 12

AlistairSinc, LaParka710 and welshbairn repped this.
  11. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Thank you very much for that tip as I just bought my passes for that!

welshbairn and Testopener22 repped this.
  12. Alison R

Alison R Member

Bayer Leverkusen
    Germany
    Nov 8, 2023
    England
    Currently in Stuttgart for the football (my first as an away fan, my other half is a FC Koeln fan) and we are using a (49 euro) Deutschland ticket for travel. We used the instructions at the Man in seat 61 link below to purchase these using the Bremen travel app and our credit card. We purchased our February ticket before 10th Feb and our confirmation email contained a link that made it easy to cancel the on going subscription so we haven't been charged for March.

If you are planning on getting a Deutschland ticket for the Euros and don't have a German bank account then I recommend this method of purchasing the ticket.

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-germany.htm#Deutschlandticket

13. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    In case anyone doesn't click on the link, please note that this ticket is not valid on IC/ICE trains and has other exclusions too.

Alison R repped this.
  14. AlistairSinc

AlistairSinc Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Nov 14, 2023
    Oslo/London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am trying to find accommodation for my friends, a group of four men. Can someone tell me the entire region which is covered by the local '36 hours free bus with match ticket' in NRW.

15. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
  16. AlistairSinc

AlistairSinc Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Nov 14, 2023
    Oslo/London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    "Gelsenkirchen ticket holders are entitled to a 36 Hour Travel Pass for the entire VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr) and VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Sieg) networks at no additional cost! The networks cover a vast area beyond Gelsenkirchen’s city borders, including Cologne, Düsseldorf and Dortmund, so you can discover the entire whole region by public transport."
    upload_2024-2-25_14-59-58.png

upload_2024-2-25_14-59-36.jpeg

Joeyy and Harry Kane's on my mind repped this.
  17. Flintstone

Flintstone Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    I would like to get a train ticket from Berlin to Dusseldorf but a little confused with the "book seat only" option on the DB train site. I can get a seat at 10 euros when clicking this option, and without it the price will be 30 euros, also with securing a seat. So what's the difference? Sorry if this was asked before.

I also saw some people here warning that timetable might change but this is a train I must take so will like to book it in advance. Worst case I will pop on the next one as long as I book an early one and it won't matter too much.

18. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    If you click the "Book seat only" option you are doing just that, reserving a seat only, not buying a ticket for the journey. The option is there for people with one of the various rail passes or if you previously purchased a ticket for the service without a seat reservation and now decide to reserve a seat. You still need to buy a ticket.

LaParka710 and AlistairSinc repped this.
  19. Flintstone

Flintstone Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    So unclick this option and buy for 30€. Thanks

Another question, what's the easiest way to get from Berlin to Leipzig? I'm going to the Italy v Croatia match and planning to go to Leipzig and back on the same day

20. ColUFan

ColUFan Member

Colchester United
    England
    Apr 22, 2022
    I'm not an expert but I'm assuming the direct ICE train. You have several options going, but coming back there is one around 11.45 pm and the next isn't until after 3.00 am currently, although I suppose there's always a chance they may add another service but no guarantee.

Luckily Leipzig stadium is around 30-40 minutes walk from the main station so if you get away at or just before the final whistle you should make the train before midnight providing you've mapped out your route.

Thinking about it, to make that train I'd definitely be missing the last few minutes of the game to beat the crowds out of the stadium.

LaParka710 and Flintstone repped this.
  21. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    ColUFan has pretty well covered it, but are you talking about a one way or return ticket? Every seat I've reserved has been €4.90 but €30 sounds very cheap for a return train ticket from Berlin to Dusseldorf, so I'm a bit confused.

LaParka710 repped this.
  22. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I realise it's probably more about convenience than the money, but I find it a bit funny how we're all concerned about free local travel given how much we're spending on tickets, flights and accommodation. :D

ValenAle. and LaParka710 repped this.
  23. Flintstone

Flintstone Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Starting in Berlin, then a game in Leipzig but returning after the match. Then from Berlin to Dusseldorf just one way. If you look up for train tix from Berlin to Dusseldorf, you can see prices are about 30 euros. If there's a different price then i'm doing something wrong

Are you checking the "book seat only"?

24. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Yup, booked seats on 5 trains, all have been €4.90, I've an InterRail pass so don't need train tickets. €30 is a decent price for Berlin to Dusseldorf single but not unusual. Based in Berlin as well so zipping to and fro to Munich, Cologne and Stuttgart so far, have match tickets for Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig in the knockouts.

25. Flintstone

Flintstone Member

Manchester United
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    I can understand the 30€ from Berlin to Dusseldorf as it's a long way to go. But Berlin to Leipzig is around 25€ and seems a bit expensive. That's why I am looking for another option to get there.

AlistairSinc repped this.