Going to Germany 2024: Trains, Planes, Accommodation and all

Discussion in 'Euro 2024 - Germany' started by Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023.

1. Fadibrahim15

Fadibrahim15 Member

Real Madrid
    Lebanon
    Aug 28, 2022
    #1 Fadibrahim15, Sep 9, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2023
    *** MOD NOTE *** This thread is for general information on travelling to Germany for the Euros. e.g resources, advice on transport, stadiums, accommodation etc

Please keep specific ticket discussion in the ticket thread

Hello guys,
    Things are being complicated in the original thread in between actual football talk and discussions between people aiming to attend the Euro. This is a separate thread for the latter.

I will be posting the most important info we already have here starting with:

Ticket prices and categories awaiting confirmation

Attached Files:

nighthawk_2002 repped this.
  2. Fadibrahim15

Fadibrahim15 Member

Real Madrid
    Lebanon
    Aug 28, 2022
    Expected travel times by trains between German cities during the tournament:

Attached Files:

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well after losing my final ticket for Euro 2020 due to UK's covid restrictions.. may try again....

4. Fadibrahim15

Fadibrahim15 Member

Real Madrid
    Lebanon
    Aug 28, 2022
    Upon mods modification, this thread will not tackle tickets. Kindly note that the ticket prices in the 1st post in the thread are not true.

brasileiragem repped this.
  5. milan24_2000

milan24_2000 Member

AC Milan
    Feb 24, 2018
    Auckland, NZ
    any suggestion where to stay in North Rhine-Westphalia, where could get to the game around Gelsenkirchen, Düsseldorf, Cologne and Dortmund by public transport?

6. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    Well, I’m staying in Düsseldorf, as it’s kind of central (and has games this tournament) and worked fine in 2006. Other options are obviously the other cities, but also Essen, Duisburg, Bochum.

milan24_2000 repped this.
  7. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    Anywhere with a railway station, I reckon! This route diagram gives you a clue about some obvious options:
    https://www.vgws.de/wp-content/uploads/Regionalverkehrsplan_NRW_2019.jpg

I based in Cologne in 2006, no problems.

8. Woodyism

Woodyism New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Canada
    Jul 1, 2022
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Staying in Wuppertal, train goes to each of the nearby Cities, NRW train ticket actually included in the Hotel stay!!

9. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    There used to be a list on the Rheinbann website of the hotels that offered the VRR Hotel Kombiticket but it appears it’s not there anymore? Tends to be smaller independent places rather than big chains etc.

We had one in 2006 from a place in Düsseldorf, (no longer offers them), It worked really well on days where we had no free travel from match tickets.

10. Fadibrahim15

Fadibrahim15 Member

Real Madrid
    Lebanon
    Aug 28, 2022
    For the games I am willing to watch in NWR, I am staying in Leverkusen.
    Only 20 minutes from Koln and Dusseldorf and I found a hidden gem hotel that I think most of you would like.
    Check this out: Lindner Hotel Leverkusen BayArena, and thank me later.

11. am0985

am0985 Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Will be based in Koln as it has more going on in the evenings, better restaurants, bars etc.

But they really have jacked up hotel prices for the Euros! Looking at the Ibis but even that is on special event rates.

12. Eden82

Eden82 Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Nov 9, 2023
    I found an online (Scottish) forum and was unpleasantly surprised how some people act very selfishly in their way to book an accommodation for the EURO 2024. Some people have booked several accommodations in different cities, with the clear intention to cancel all there "unnessecary" bookings later, depending on the result of the tournament draw. They don't care that this obviously has a very negative effect on the availabilty and price of accommodations for other supporters. I am probably very naive but was nevertheless dissapointed about this.

13. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    For every man on Pie and Bovril forum who did that, there are a dozen who only booked for Frankfurt ;) so it balanced out.

welshbairn repped this.
  14. kaubojski

kaubojski New Member

Sunderland
    Cyprus
    Nov 14, 2023
    Hey All - Luckily scored some tickets in Gelsenkirtchen - Looking at which cities would be easiest to stay in - considering we are travelling from Holland and will probably visit Berlin after! Any Cities that would have more of a night life during the time would be handy. and whatever would be easier for travel via Train thanks all hope you were all lucky enough to score some tickets

15. nk77

nk77 Member

Australia
    Nov 14, 2023
    Hello everyone, I have read that the kick off times are yet to be confirmed, but does anyone have a good idea of when it is most likely to be during the day? I was planning on possibly staying in a smaller city and catching a train in for games.

Also, do people here plan on having a single city to stay in and travel to other cities on the day of the game or bounce between cities? I am sure what the best method is

16. AlistairSinc

AlistairSinc Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Nov 14, 2023
    Oslo/London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Could you tell me how many such active forums for football and football game chores are there?

17. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    There are some suggestions upthread, but plenty of options in NWR, I’m staying in Dusseldorf but Essen, Bochum, Dortmund etc etc.

18. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    I think 15.00, 18.00 and 21.00 CEST are a good guess based on previous Euros for GS games.

19. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Especially because there are a few dates that Dortmund and Gelsenkirchen matches follow one another, I really liked the idea of staying in Bochum across those dates if going to both games, at least while there was cheap accommodation available (maybe it's different now). It's in between the two host cities, it has train links to Dortmund but also a tram to Gelsenkirchen, but also is close enough that if you needed to get a taxi it wouldn't be too expensive. I've been there once for a game last season and it had enough pubs and small town feel that it would be absolutely fine, as long as you know it doesn't have everything that a big world city has.

Though the place isn't for everyone, and doesn't tick all the boxes depending where you are originally from, what other things you want to do during the day if not completely occupied by football, and what you are expecting in your time there. Though when you get to Berlin you get your proper night life fix, if night life means more than just drinking.

Aside from this, otherwise there are a handful of places that keep getting recommended that are almost of very similar stature to Bochum anyway (Essen, Wuppertal, etc.), or larger cities like Dusseldorf and Cologne. I do really like Cologne. There's a lot of fun to be had there, but you'd be lucky to find anything affordable unless you maybe get lucky with an airbnb listing or something opens up on hotel loyalty reward points.

20. Calvin_mufc

Calvin_mufc Member

United
    England
    Nov 16, 2023
    Hey
    Anyone going from Toronto Canada. Any groups going together that I can join up?

21. Álvaro Morata

Nov 28, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Got lucky on my first ever try with lottery. So i will visit 2 games in Gelsenkirchen and Dusseldorf but will stay in Cologne. For 5 nights i paid 1200€ for a hotel with a central location. Is that a good price or its quite expensive ? My thoughts are that its quite of a price, but that was actually the cheapest decent option with a lot of reviews. Flight tickets were cheaper and i thought it would be the other way around.

22. Eden82

Eden82 Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Nov 9, 2023
    I paid 420 € for 6 nights for an appartement in Düsseldorf, approximately 30min. with public transport from the town center. Not yet succesful with tickets though...

23. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    From a quick look around earlier this week, prices have gone up a fair amount on a lot of the hotels since I booked, mine in Düsseldorf is now nearly triple the rate.

€1200 for 5 nights, depends what it is, but that’s about the rate of the one I’m about to cancel in Cologne and I booked that months ago, those rates have gone up too since then.

Eden82 repped this.
  24. Álvaro Morata

Nov 28, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    There was not a single hotel offering free cancelation. I am curious why even months ago they allowed free cancel when they knew that in those months there will be Euro 2024 ? Why offer it and a bit later not