Going to a tryout

Discussion in 'Player' started by dejansavicevic10, Dec 9, 2015.

1. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Hi,

I am going to a tryout next week, and I am wondering the best way to prepare for that....I usually play anywhere on the defensive, ie full back or central defender.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't start a try out cold. Meaning go with a friend and get lots of ball touches. 300/400 touches get the bad touches out of the way before you start the tryout. Juggle pass to your friend.

As a back what do you want to show? What you want to show are the things you do very well. Do you like to communicate verbally on the field. If so do it smart communication. Don't just talk, say smart things.

Wear something that will help the coaching staff notice you. Like an Ajax shirt. Do something good he will think I like the guy in the Ajax shirt. Be friendly introduce your self to the coach. Make it hard for him to cut you.

I don't know enough about you to help you more then that.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    One of the things I remember about a player is if he finds away not to lose the ball so even under heavy pressure his team still has the ball.

4. Sarah ava

Sarah ava Member

Nov 28, 2015
    Club:
    CSD Xelaju Mario Camposeco
    good its is better for player.

5. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    How can I be more composed on the ball? The team I am trying out for wants to play the ball out of the back. I am very athletic and the best man marker on the field. However, I don't think I will get on the team based on that alone. I need to be able to possess the ball under pressure, usually with 2 opposing players coming at me at full speed. Then make an accurate pass to a team mate with the correct weight. I know that when we do 3 touch soccer in a box, the first touch is for trapping, then I looking to pass but get crowded. How can I get better at 2-3 touch under pressure, I think that would help? What drills can I do to improve that part of my game. I am trying out as a central defender. I think the full back position is a little bit easier, because they want me to run like Cafu and join the attack. I look forward to some constructive responses.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't just trap. Put the ball into open space on your first touch. Then you will have time and space to make a good second touch.

Also work on your pull backs if you do get into trouble.

7. Jackie Cruz

Jackie Cruz New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    For structure, the best is to train at least once Tuesday-Friday, including Wednesday with double days, and give yourself 1 days to rest after a game Saturday or Sunday. This way, come tryout time, your body will be used to the intense training and stress.

For training, you need to have soccer training, long-distance running, sprint training, freeletics/stability exercises and weights.

The coaches are looking for you to be on the same athletic and soccer levels as their current players. You can always get more physically fit, but if you do not understand general soccer tactics or are not athletic enough, you will be far behind.

We are offering a professional soccer combine coming up in June in Germany --> www.bsports-combine.com.

8. wfwc

wfwc New Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Excellent.

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Forget about playing in Germany if your not born in Germany you will never be a German. I have an apartment in Germany. I have a German grandson he is German only because he was born in Germany to a German father.

My daughter is an American she could never be a German citizen even though she was married to a German.

Try to get a job their if your not a born German. If a German company wants to hire you the company has to produce a letter to the German government why a German could not do that job.

10. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Germany has the opposite policy on immigration than the US does. There was some talk of change, but as far as I know it hasn't changed from what Nick said, and he visits there all the time so he knows what is happening better than I do. I just read the BBC news.

11. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #11 rca2, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    It is never too late to improve your ball skills. The best pro players in the world never stop working on their ball skills.

Knowing how to support off the ball is just as important as playing off the ball. 30 years ago we called it trapping, but today we call it first touch to emphasize that when you are under pressure the first touch should create space for yourself rather than stop the ball. There are different ways to describe what you want to address, e.g., shielding, dribbling to maintain possession and finding the open man. Basically you need to keep the ball away from the opponents, which means keep the ball where you have a positional advantage, until you find the open man.

For a center back the situation is simplified because most coaches want the CBs to be in a particular area on the field and want the CB to pass to particular team mates. It varies from coach to coach, but often it means that you are either switching the field, finding a friendly halfback or forward in the gaps between the opponent's line, or passing to your fullback and then maintaining a covering position between the ball and the goal in case the fullback loses the ball. The general concept is that the back with the ball is never the last player.

Playing 3v3 games in small spaces or futsal are ideal exercises. Also doing the 1000 touches drill daily will make a big improvement over time. You can also incorporate it into your warmup for any athletic activity. http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~dgraham/daily_drill.html

Nick has more coaching experience than anyone else that posts here.

12. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    RCA Dennis Muller is a friend of mine he used to run the Princeton soccer club in NJ. He put out that handout which I recommend. I tried to get his team of under 16 to film it I even had a film crew who would do it. But he backed out when he heard what film crew normally film. They worked for my Godfather Gabe :)

I was also a regular poster on David Grahams soccer coaching website in Canada.

I don't remember if I ever told you about Dennis Mueller besides being a great youth soccer coach. He was also a genius a nuclear physicist in real life. He worked in Princeton university. He wore a had that Oppenheimer worn. That is the guy that developed the atom bomb during World War Two. I thought he just wore a hat that looked like Oppenheimers hat. I found out later that Oppenheimer also worked at Princeton. Mueller wore Oppenheimer original hat. If he ever decided to sell that hat he could get a couple of hundred thousand for that hat.

13. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I remember that film story! :) Nick, your comments impressed me long before you talked about your experiences.

I never met Dennis Mueller, but he is someone else that has impressed me greatly. That is one of the best "hat" stories that I have heard.

14. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I have a good hat story. I had Big Sam's hat he is not the coach of the U.K. Soccer team.

Big Sam that I knew was our local money lender. He became a street boss for a half a second in the 70s. He was one of the most heartless guys I ever met. Let's just say he had a ton of enemies. He did like my best living friend Johnny Roastbeef he was in Goodfellas. He was the guy that was in the Lufthansa heist. He come in the bar to celebrate the robbery. He had a new wife he bought her a caddy. DeNiro the fake tough guy started yelling at him. About buying a car while the cops were watching them. He was killed in the car with his wife to the Music of Layla.

Any way Johnny was always a hard working kid even as a kid. Later he bought the place he worked in renamed it johnnies super heros. Big Sam loaned him the start up money. Later he demanded full payment because john charged him 5 cents extra for a cold soda. It was pay or die so people loaned him the money to pay big Sam off.

A month later big Sam was dead. I found his hat and kept it as a souvenir.

15. Peter Olaffson

Peter Olaffson New Member

Manchester United
    France
    Dec 14, 2020
    Hey bud.
    I would recommend this article on pre-season soccer training for you. It is a really deep-dive with various exercises and training plans (technique, physical, etc.). I reckon, it will do a great service for tryout preparation.