Goff/Wash Post: Some MLS salaries leaked. EJ and Donovan top list

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sanguine, Jul 6, 2005.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    What I meant by 'have to pay' is..in order to be a profitable business entity.

Obviously- like any business that hasn't positive cash flowed yet- MLS supports a higher wage structure than the business can afford.

I don't blame any player for signing any deal above and beyond their 'value' to the enterprise.

However, businesses in most cases don't pay above the employees value to the entreprise. You just can't make it (long) if you do.

2. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Second cousin, I believe.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They still exist.

It's just that they only exist in MLS cap-o-nomics, which usually, but not always corresponds to real life. EJ and LD count as the "maximum salary" (close to $300,000) against their teams' salary caps. No, it's not what they make, but each put a big crimp in their teams' ability to sign complementary players.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the old days. And speaking of old, EJ's still only playing for some five figure number in his original contract.

The number in the WP article is a brand-new deal that has been concluded this summer, a number befitting a star player for HSG's new superclub, which, according to Lamar Hunt, will be profitable from Day One in Frisco.

If only we weren't subsidizing money-losing operations like DC United.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you are suggesting that they are smarter than hockey players?

6. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Yes. I think a great many of them actually went to college. :)

7. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Yes..healthy business model..that's hot!

Really, as long as the billionaires paying the bills are happy with their investments, I think it's great american players are making close to a million to play here, in the US.

New investors are coming in that might be more interested in a healthy product on the field, since that's what they have to sell.

8. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Still - I don't see as the wide disparity between the superstar salaries and this Dev player stipend can cause anything but trouble.

And I disagree that they are "roster filler"

Consider Gonzalo Segares. He was on the Fire roster as a dev - probably making the minumum - when injuries and hard work earned him a start with the first XI. From there, he cemented his spot in the lineup. We were fortunate in Chicago to be able to trade Kelly Gray and make roster shifts so that we could give Sega a promotion to a Sr. Dev spot (for slightly better pay). I consider this fortunate because clubs don't always find themselves in position to do the "right thing" by the players. And club managers don't always concern themselves with equity and fairness - sad but true.

Yes, we need star-power. Yes, the dev guys need to prove their worth and pay their dues. But this stipend is below subsistence level in most major markets.

I would rather see guys like LD and EJ getting in the $600k -700k range and the dev guys getting around $35k. At least let them pay their rent and get them off of food stamps.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You're confusing a questionable intrinsic value that Donovan may have to the league with his market value as an international player.

With regards to the former, it's very difficult to calculate. But I doubt it adds up to $500K. So he sells a few more Gals shirts and may increase attendance in San Jose for a game or two ... but he also disappears from games and makes a mockery of himself on too many occasions.

As to the latter, obviously, his agent insisted that Landon would go play in Holland or wherever if MLS/AEG couldn't come up with jack ... but MLS/AEG bought the negotiating ploy right away instead of seeing how things may have played out. They could have waited a few more months and have gotten him at a steep discount because he wanted to play in MLS and made it plain known to everyone within earshot. By meeting his asking price, MLS negotiated against itself, which is never a prudent strategy.

10. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Wouldn't they have had to wait until the August transfer window?

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Landon's with the Nats half of the summer anyway.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. When Noonan and others start scoring hattricks for the U.S. Nats and/or an outrageous number of goals per game for the Nats, thus raising their value on the market (and their name and U.S. soccer in the newspapers)...they'll start getting the rewards.

13. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Okay ElJefe, but there has to be a cost associated with actually seeing "Major League" Soccer in the United States.

You can be smug all you want about the fact that your team is rooted in a lower-cost area. It is not like financial discipline is the reason for Dallas to be so much closer to being in the black then DC. When your team actually did try to cut costs - nearly every one of your fans rebelled.

DC's financial problems are entirely "genetic" to being located in one of the most corrupt (big league sporting) towns in the nation.

And don't come back crying about Freddy Adu's salary (as so many whiners did last season). That is one of the most economically justifiable decisions MLS ever made, considering the attendance boost in Freddy-comes-to-town matches throughout the league last season (not to mention some elevated tv ratings and exposure for the league).

14. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Eddie Johnson of FC Dallas ($875,000).

My goodness, that's one expensive bench warmer.

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Boswell - starting in a pro league for 28 grand - geez, i'm 22 with no athletic talent and I make 50% more than him. I hope he gets a good deal after this year.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm not confusing anything. You just refuse to accept the fact that MLS owners, coaches, bigwigs, sports writers, sports people in general, etc., etc., value Donovan more highly than you do (hence your "disappears from games and makes a mockery of himself" comment - among the many negative comments you've made re: Donovan throughout many threads.) It's more than just a pure dollars and cents, selling T-shirts, etc. As I said, he helps bring legitimacy to MLS, sort of like Joe Namath brought legitimacy to the AFL lo those many years ago.

17. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    People like you won't let anyone forget.

There is a difference between knowing ones history and living in the past.

You seem to have missed the fact the owners are the ones giving these guys this money.

I don't agree to that. :)

Its called willingess to blindly side with those in power and it is never a good trait.

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    It was all overshadowed by the Youri talk.

I just love the fact that none of those people has stepped forward to defend their "work".

Remember all the talk about him making less than 80k?

:D

19. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    It all comes back to the misguided idea people like you have that the path to success for MLS is finding new ways to trim cost.

It is not. This league needs to find new ways to make money and that means quality players hanging around longer and possibly some transfer cash along the way.

Consistently providing a cheaper lower product has not brought the success that MLS craves so why are people so in love with this strategy.

The owners have figured this out why haven't you?

20. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I am suggesting they are smart enough to know that there is now great demand for their talents so a strike may not gain them much.

At any rate if you insist on paying more than a third of your players less than 20k per year what does that player have to lose by going on strike?

21. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    What? I got into a big blowup in another thread because the postyer was convinced Landon was a draw who was capable of offsetting any decrease in attendance that teh Glas are experiencing.

Something about Landon shirts selling for $100 was mentioned (nevermind the fact that the majority of that money is being shared among all the other 11 teams in the and not the Gals).

I see you weren't convinced either.

22. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Don't hold your breath.

I think Jeff Parke is still making the same money he made last year.

Oh and its Bobby.

23. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Another source of revenue for these guys is to coach/train local elite clubs. Just like a lot of radio producers for "morning zoo" shows make a little above minimum wage, but then make BANK from appearing at nightclubs, auto dealerships, etc. Your "main job" gives you the potential to make more money, hence the lower wage.

24. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    He just doesnt like Donovan. If you follow his work on here its very similar to that of Thomas Flannigan when it comes to Julie Foudy.

25. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I agree.