Goff/Wash Post: Some MLS salaries leaked. EJ and Donovan top list

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sanguine, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Because they are conditioned to?

Because allowing players to shop their services around is dangerous.

Thats how Guppy got 120k for christsakes.

:)

/end smartass

2. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    You know the history of soccer in the US. You want the PLAYERS to have more leverage in salary negotiation? In a sport which has a worse business track record than (airlines minus Southwest). I bet if you polled players, more than 1/2 believe they should be making more and much more.

When MLS (almost all the teams) start making a profit, then I'm in favor of players having more leverage. Until then, I am worried about survival of the league. The players knowing this info is detrimental to the league's survival.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Why is MLS unlike any other buisness?

If they exercise cost discipline I don't see what the problem is.

Thi is not baseball where players can jack up the league because there is nowhere else to find talent.

The history of the league has been that if the owners don't want to pay the players the players will have to go elsewhere or take whatever offer they get.

You need to stop hammering this point because it is going nowhere.

This league exists for no other reason that the people who own it want to fund it. The only reason it will go away is if they get tired of doing so.

4. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Did the NASL not strike in 1979? (or was it 1980?). What's the difference (to MLS?)

Look, I just think MLS needs a lot of things to STILL go right to really make it. Why do want one more potential difficulty. As KC (just one example- maybe Columbus #2) it doesn't take much to ruin years of hard work..practically overnight.

I mostly agree with your last statement- but even billionaires have their 'tipping points'

5. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    MLS teams have revenues comparable to minor league baseball teams- not major league baseball teams.

You have to pay according to value within your sport (within your country), and not other sports (and definently not in other countries). Each sports' athletes have their own value. It has nothing to do with how hard they work, or in some respect how unique their skill is. The Jack Jewsbury equivelent is probably Ruben Gotay (uniqueness of skills)- but you can't pay them the same because they are in different businesses

6. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    How would having unhappy players leaving help?

For the love of god you need to get over this "I will never forget the 80's." line you live by.

The players are not stupid enough to cut their own throats unless they are really being screwed. The players are more likely to strike when they are in the dark than when they have an idea of what is going on.

And it is all the doing of the owner.

That team was doing fine in a small market without any attendance inflating fixtures until the owner pulled the rug out.

Yes and that is all that matters.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I disagree. To the casual soccer fan, Donovan is a name they recognize. He gives the league recognition - though you may disagree as to whether it's enough to warrant that type of salary. I think it does. The league was held up for ridicule, basically, for making Adu the highest paid player as a 14 year old - an unproven 14 year old. Donovan gives the league more legitimacy. Plus, his past accomplishments should count for something: 2 MLS Championships, scoring in WC, 2-time Chevy player of the year, youngest player to do a bunch of stuff. In short, accomplishments should be rewarded. People in all walks of life and business are rewarded for what they have accoomplished...as well as the promise of what's yet to come.

8. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. LD is getting what he would get on the world market, just as most other players in MLS are.

If they had alternatives that drive up their salaries, then they'd see their salaries increase.

9. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    No, Guppy got 120k because of his brother's relationship with AEG.

10. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    OK Jacknut, its pretty obvious you dont like the guy, thats fine, but because

you dont liek him doesnt mean that the midfield of our US national doesnt deserve to make the kind of bread hea does.

Stop being such a jealous little bitch and be happy that US soccer players and MLS can finally afford to finally pay a few guys some decent coin!!

11. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Thats incorrect.

No one gets paid what they are worth.

They are paid what people are willing to pay them when contracts are signed..

Josh Wolff is not worth 400k and Clint Dempsey is worth more than 40k.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Either way I get to rub it in the faces of all the people who were making A BIG DEAL about how Youri should not get a deal in this league because this is not a league for old retreads.

The fact that I get call all those people who now choose to remain quiet now hypocrites (because the offending player is no longer a metro) is just icing on the cake.

13. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Thats basically what it comes down to for me.

I am not advocating irresponsible spending but more moeny being made by the people who play it does nothing to hurt the legitimacy of the sport.

14. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    $11,700 dev contract? Who could live on that?

Would be interesting if we could see more of these.

Pat Noonan is woefully underpaid, he's only a couple of notches below EJ and earnes 1/10th his salary.

That said, Gerrard's new deal at Liverpool is $9.36m a year - equivalent to more than the total of 4 entire MLS team's salaries! The top 1% of the players really can make HUGE money abroad, as Gerrard isn't even the top paid player in England, let alone the world. (I remember SOl Campbell being offered double that to go to Inter, before he signed with the Arse....but I digress.....)

15. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about the rest of the league but i know San Jose basicly pays for the dev players room and board. They roommate up in an apartment like around 3 people per unit, so the money they do make is pretty much pocket cash. Obviously MLS doesn't expect dev players to be able to afford to live in big cities like NY or LA on that wage so they do suplement it a little.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

I have nothing against US players.

I just like a healthy business model, that's all.

I don't think MLS had to pay Donavon almost a million a year to get him back here- nor do I think he is worth it in the 'economic' sense.

Doesn't mean he isn't a fine player, a hard worker, etc.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Let there be no doubt that we will.

19. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    LD likely still has some relatively small transfer value too.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Didn't someone famous once said, "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it?"

Ahem...

And that's my point. MLS survives on the goodwill of a few guys. How about letting them become profitable before we start disrupting things in any fashion. Why not let them get the 'pleasure'- after tens of millions (maybe more) of losses of seeing their kid grow to adulthood (being able to stand on 2 feet) vs. being the endless whiny kid that lives at home (which MLS is now :) )

Look, let's just agree to disagree. I bet 70-80% of BS skews to the players, and despite their billions- I skew to the owners. Since I think they are the only ones who are keeping men's pro soccer (at this level) alive in this country, and a collapse would be a black hole for 20 years+. I think that's worth a little caution and defending, and since BS is a debate forum- I think its proper someone support the owners' (likely) position.

21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    if I was a dev player I would pray to be drafted by one of the cheaper cities to live in like Columbus or KC. Imagine trying to live in NY or SJ on that money. Forget it.

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    While I wouldn't call it even, there were more than a few people that thought Guppy was a bad move as well-- and it's at least arguable that the reason that Youri made a bigger splash is because, well, Youri's a bigger player. Or do you not recall all of the "Guppy sucks" talk at all?

23. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $875,000?

Whoa.

24. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect MLS to do a similar deal with Noonan (or any other of its "assets") just as soon as it becomes evident that foreign clubs are willing to pay large transfer fees to acquire his services.

The point is that this deal is less about compensating EJ for his FCD performances, but more about MLS avoiding losing EJ on a free transfer. To simply look at player statistics in MLS and try to draw direct links to player salaries is misguided.

25. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So what has happened to terms like "Salary Cap" & "Maximum Salary" that used to exist in MLS? I am not saying Donovan & GAM are not deserving of their salaries but shouldnt all teams be given equal resources in this league?