Goff: Utility Man Stewart Finds Himself in an Awkward Position (Post, 11/5/03)

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by dcajedi, Nov 5, 2003.

1. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
  2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    This article pretty much discusses what we are talking about in the other Stewart thread.

And what the hell: Eski misses practice for traffic court? Can this guy do anything right?

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    So Kovalenko's a thug, Petke's a wanker, Etch and Stoichkov are a$$holes who yell at the refs all the time, and Eski's in traffic court.

That makes five.

Take that, Portland Trail Blazers.

4. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

HEY! I'll still bet on Rasheed Wallace or Bonzi "Who cares about the fans. They can go to hell." Wells to be a bigger jerk than any DCU player!

And the whole DCU team together can't smoke reefer like Damon Stoudamire can!

5. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I understand the last two, but where are the first two coming from?

6. The Lieutenant

Dec 29, 1999
    Lupburg, Bayern
    Why the F does Bolivia want Etch? Have they seen his play the last three years?

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This has to be blamed on the coaching staff. Earnie is a good soldier, but he has been wasted here this year. The staff has a good sense of loyalty, but to the wrong people.

8. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    This is the quote that really gets me:

I take a few things from this:

1) Hudson "was told that he will score goals." Who told him that? And what does that signal in terms of his input on player acquisitions? I don't want to open too big a can of worms in asking that but it's an interesting choice of words.

2) Hudson explicitly takes responsibility for playing Stewart out of position. Which means a) that we should stop blaming Stewart as much as we have been and 2) we should continue bashing Hudson for hs lack of tactical understanding.

As I've said all year: Earnie Stewart is a midfielder, not a forward. He scores goals while playing in midfield but that does not necessarily mean that we should rely on him to be the goal scorer. If we had figured that out earlier in the season and played him properly I think he would have done much better.

9. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A. I never blamed Stewart.

2. Indeed.

10. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Anyone else get the feeling that lineup we put out there at the Meadowlands last month might look something like the one we put out next season?

11. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What they were saying

Washington Post, 1/16/03

Washington Times, 1/18/03

Washington Post, 2/6/03

12. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stewart might have done better, but what matters is the team. I don't think it's a matter of "figuring it out" or a lack of tactical understanding. It's a matter of us having other midfielders who we wanted/needed to get on the field (Olsen, Convey, Etcheverry, Kovalenko, and occasionally a d-mid in Namoff/Alegria), while not having strikers who showed any inclination of scoring.

To put him in the midfield, Stewart was pretty much going to have to play the position of either Olsen, Convey, or Etcheverry, (while leaving us with Tino/Curtis/Esky up front) and for the multitude of reasons that have been discussed here throughout the year, Etch/Olsen/Convey were mostly going to play, so it wasn't going to be a perfect fit.

He's a good acquisition for '04, but we had to get him in '03 because that's when he was available and temporarily fit a semi-square peg into a round hole -- he'll be a better fit post-Etcheverry.

13. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    All of which said, why did we put an allocation and $275,000 into him? Has no one on the entire DC United staff watched any of the USMNT games for the last eight years? How could anyone not know that Earnie Stewart was not going to be a striker? Why would we pick up another wing midfielder when, as Atouk points out, that's about the one place we had tremendous depth? Who in this organization knew nothing about soccer before coming to DC United? Who seems to call all the shots, and most of them badly in the last five years?

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    "Earnie..." Coach Ray Hudson said..." landed in a club that has had a frightfully frustrating year"

What does Hudson mean by this? Ever think this is the opposite-which would make more sense-that is, the team's had a frightfully frustrating year in part because Earnie Stewart landed here? The idea that Earnie Stewart hasn't played well because of the team, and not because he just plain sucked whether he played on a good team or not, doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

"I was told that he will score goals in this league....That has not materialized....It's not Earnie's fault

Earnie hasn't scored goals, and it's not Earnie's fault?? Like w/monster's quotes, this guy Earnie came in to the league saying he could play almost anywhere no problem. Earnie said "if he wants me at forward that's fine." Now Hudson says it was his mistake that he was at forward, and Earnie bitches about playing different positions one game before the end of the season.

They've called me in a couple of times and thanked me for accepting to do this or that. To me, that means more than anything in the world

I thought Earnie said getting the 3 points meant more to him than anything else. Now it's them thanking him for accepting $275,000 to do nothing on the field this year. "Ahhh, it's just an aberration....sorry Earnie come back next year for max salary. Will you ever forgive us."

The more I learn about this guy Earnie, the more I think he's got a gigantic ego that won't be accountable to himself and let him admit to anything being his fault. And he's the first guy in MLS with whom I've ever felt that way. Ask yourself if a rookie could bitch that the team isn't letting him play well, and be signed for next season to play the central playmaker role, with the coach making excuses for him. Not only that, for whatever reason, the fans make excuses for him. Do the fans feel sorry for him having to play w/Marco or something?

If the solution to this year's terrible offense will mainly to just put Earnie in Marco's spot, we could be in for an awfully long year next year. Earnie is actually older than Marco. He may lose a step. He's not going to get any better, that's for sure. And we'll have 3 guys-Dema, Convey, and Q2-that are younger and more productive who could, and want to, play the central mid role.

"Thanks Earnie for gracing us w/your presence. May you forever forgive our team for making you play with Marco and Stoitchkov. We know we played you in different positions, it's the coach's fault you didn't do anything this year. Here's your $275,000, come back next year and make the team yours. Be our leader. You're our Champion. You've played on the National Team, that gives you a free pass-you'll always be our hero."

15. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    How can we have played 30+ games and still have no idea how to blend the talent we actually do have?

Shouldn't our top forward pairing be a given at this point? Shouldn't we know how the pieces mix or don't? How can we still be searching for chemistry?

Even with the injuries and call-ups this seems awfully hard to swallow.

And, yes, Stewart was never going to be worthy a full allocation given the team's gaping holes and glaring needs. As many of us suggested back in January.

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dude, depending on the offense, traffic court is mandatory sometimes. For example, I once got a 70 in a 55 (highway) and was required to appear in court. Why not get a lawyer? I'm not gonna pay some leech $200+ just to appear for me and plead guilty or plead improper equipment (a legal travesty). I got a prayer for judgement, no points, and pay court costs.

Of course North Carolina's laws are rather bizarre, but that's another matter.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ho.
    Lee.
    Shit.

Ladies and gentleman, the man who has never paid attention to men's national team soccer.

People could go on and on about how wrong your sad little game is here, but luckily we'll have the history of soccer to show what a class act Earnie is.

18. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United
    Aug 3, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    As someone that has met Earnie in person and chatted with him briefly, I would say that you have really misjudged him. Earnie appeared to me to be a very humble, genuine person that loves the fans, the club, and his teammates.

19. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Yeah right. To all the "ladies and gentlemen"-I was at both National Team games at RFK, and followed the US team through the WCQs and the World Cup. I tried to see every World Cup game I could-stayed up late at night.

People could go on and on about how wrong your sad little game is here

Go for it. Specifics. Give it a shot, tell me what sad little game I'm playing.

but luckily we'll have the history of soccer to show what a class act Earnie is.

He may have BEEN a class act. I remember the quote where he said he just wished he could have more people cheer for the National Team like they do elsewhere. To say some sports guys don't get big heads, big egos is just unrealistic. So it's entirely possible Earnie has a huge ego.

You may not LIKE my opinion, but it IS my opinion. Whether you choose to accept it or not is up to you. I'll respect whatever opinion you have on this Earnie Stewart thing. Don't make a personal attack-or if you want to get personal, PM me and I will respond.

20. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree

Ernie = team-oriented midfielder

21. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Earnie couldn't have been more nicer when my wife and I approached him at Charlotte Airport in late August to find out who won the Open Cup game. Nice guy.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My last word

Earnie Stewart carried the MNT offense when Mathis went down. Earnie Stewart stepped up and help provide the leadership the team needed against Portugal. Earnie Stewart is busting his hump to bridge the gap between his generation of national team players and the next group.

Just because he has a bad year offensively and questions the tactics of a coach questioned pretty much universally by soccer critics, he has an oversized ego and only cares about himself?

That theory, my friends, is so out of touch with reality it hardly deserves mention. I'm sorry to the right-minded in the group for indulging the real egomaniac here. First Diego Serna (displaced by Alejandro Moreno and carrying, roughly, similar statistics to Eski) was going to save us. Now Earnie Stewart has ruined us. :rolleyes:

Thank God for Big Soccer where you can basically tear down a player, then play the martyr about "personal attacks."

23. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: My last word

In addition, Etch has sucked for the last 3 years.

24. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

25. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're killing me here.

By MLS you do mean Major League Soccer?

You don't really think Marco's only 33, do you? Dude, he's 40 if he's a day. Watch him run. He runs like an old man.